Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Umm, should I worry about my Dec $1250 CCs? o_O
What's the consensus from others who are deep ITM on CCs?

Roll a couple weeks at a time, slowly moving the strike up in the hopes that the share price settles back down
OR
Roll aggressively, out to 2022/24 LEAPS if needed to get back OTM?

I rolled most of mine yesterday. Right move? IDK. I figured IV will start increasing soon so...

Reactions: JustMe
Great reading this morning. Lot of learning. I learned my margin is ok, I can afford to lose what I have in my trades, but I did not see the larger context of the run yesterday. If I saw it, like the 2019 run, I could have taken a 12,000 loss on my BCS early in the morning and bought March 22 calls. I did not stick to my plan, because things opened so much more radically than I expected. My plan was to get out of the way when I saw the early open (dog wakes me up between 330 and 430 most days and I check the market), I would have closed the BCS and bought calls with my spare cash. The open was so much higher than expected, I didn't do anything, expecting a morning dip to give me a nice exit later in the morning.

I'll keep reading and thinking as the week progresses. If we have a drop, I'll either close or roll my 1000-1050 call spreads. If we rise up to 1100+, I'll take the loss and start over. Sucks to lose a bunch of weeks cash flow, but it is offset by my shares and leaps. The big question is, do we have a big drop. If my BPS get hit, there is no positive offset of my shares offsetting my loses, just double loses. Ironically, my BPS profits for the week are a record, but not enough to offset my BCS mess. Now I'm torn, do I keep straddling up to make up for BCS losses, or take my BPS profits.

I'm leaning on rolling my 1000-1050 BCS, for a loss, Thursday and continuing to roll up BPS this week. If the market turns, I'm straddling and offsetting the losses. If it doesn't turn, I'm making up about 1/4 of my losses and my shares are going up.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
You are only digging a deeper hole if you are rolling for a debit or making your strike worse. If you are rolling for a credit and/or improving your strike then your hole is getting smaller.
Yes, but remember that when rolling for credit/strike improvement you are also giving stock more time to move against you.
Of course this can be a good thing if stock reverses.

Great news, but be really careful with BPS right now. If the stock were to reverse we could go down fast (cascade of profit taking for example).

I'm looking at BPS to open and only deem -850p a very safe short leg.

Just would be a shame for your first BPS experience to be a frantic one. Best time to sell BPS is upon a dip. Best time to sell BCS is upon a rally.
If I wanted to add
Great news, but be really careful with BPS right now. If the stock were to reverse we could go down fast (cascade of profit taking for example).

I'm looking at BPS to open and only deem -850p a very safe short leg.

Just would be a shame for your first BPS experience to be a frantic one. Best time to sell BPS is upon a dip. Best time to sell BCS is upon a rally.
dont worry my order didn’t go through
And it won’t go through with what the stock is currently doing.

Oh my my

So the 2 1050 calls I kept yesterday from my -1000/1050. I had 6 originally, closed 4 completely and kept 2 of the long legs. I closed one of the long legs this am for $20, which turned my loss into a $250 gain. I still have the other one which is worth around $47 right now. So I’m going to let it ride a bit more and hopefully sell it for over $50.

Thanks for the advice whomever to keep the long leg if you think the stock is going to get to that price.

I also had a lot of 1100/1150s for Friday. As much as I think sanity returns by Friday, and we will be below it, I closed them all. This time I closed the short leg first, got lucky that the SP kept climbing, and then closed the long leg, so my loss was much smaller than yesterday. I also sold LEAP CC against all my shares for 2000 strike, Jan 2024 to replace most of the lost cash from the last two days. I will buy those back for a profit if/when the SP drops back down. If not, I will roll them in two years, or sell my shares for $2,000/share (which is F-you money).

What's the consensus from others who are deep ITM on CCs?

Roll a couple weeks at a time, slowly moving the strike up in the hopes that the share price settles back down
OR
Roll aggressively, out to 2022/24 LEAPS if needed to get back OTM?
I did something new. I rolled my 10/29 BCS from -990/1050 to -1000/1060 11/5 early for strike improvement and a credit yesterday before it hit 990. Before market close, I rolled my short leg to 1100 for about $35 debit, turned it into a debit spread, 1060/-1100. It has now recouped half of my loss. If the SP stays $1100 11/5, I can recoup all of my loss.

This is a squeeze. A 20% drop can happen once the everything unwinds. Be very careful.
What sort of squeeze? Short interest is not and was not that large - who else is being squeezed? Delta hedging? But it got to have initiated from something, like buying volume. I tend to lean towards "theory" that this is more related to the stock being held down way too long and now buying pressure got out of control based on all the positive factors compounding together (last earning reports, improving margins, order book almost filled for 2022, hertz, 2 factories coming online, energy business, insurance business, FSD advances - just to name a few)

Rold my 10/29 1050cc to 11/5 1080cc for $1.49 credit, since we hit 1045 so fast.
Rolled again from 11/5 1080c to 11/19 1120c for a slight credit. $1100 should be a resistance point so maybe that will hold. These rolls are mainly intended to net me a larger selling price for my shares. I wouldn't mind parting with them but the longer I can stall it and the more $$ I can receive, the better. And I'm not in a hurry so I don't mind if those shares connected to the covered call are "unavailable" to sell calls against in the coming weeks/months. I don't sell cc's against all shares anyway.

EDIT: to add to this, I'm using this as an experiment to learn to manage cc's.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs
What sort of squeeze? Short interest is not and was not that large - who else is being squeezed?
Actually I think short interest is probably at an all time high, based on dollars at risk, not number of shares. If we go by the number of shares shorted on 9/30, the last report we have, there is ~$31 Billion at risk on shorts. (Not counting options.)

In the past run-ups the short interest always stayed pretty close to $20B, almost like that is how much money they had budgeted to bet against TSLA.

Rolled again from 11/5 1080c to 11/19 1120c for a slight credit. $1100 should be a resistance point so maybe that will hold. These rolls are mainly intended to net me a larger selling price for my shares. I wouldn't mind parting with them but the longer I can stall it and the more $$ I can receive, the better. And I'm not in a hurry so I don't mind if those shares connected to the covered call are "unavailable" to sell calls against in the coming weeks/months. I don't sell cc's against all shares anyway.

EDIT: to add to this, I'm using this as an experiment to learn to manage cc's.

I rolled my 10/29 1050s to 11/19 1150s on the “dip” just after open for a slight credit. Content to continue to roll them for as long as needed, until we’re in the nosebleeds.