Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that some of the numbers are off and that leads to the credits received being off. I suspect its because you figured out how many of each you could open based on margin usage - I agree with the conclusion even though I analyze assuming no margin (and then crank in the margin later - reasonable and successful people will approach this part differently).

For least risk and capital preservation, fully cash secured puts can't be beat. A full loss will require that the shares go to $0. If you're using margin to sell 50 of these instead of 22 (call it 25 for easy math), then a full loss is available at a share price of about $525 (1/2 of current).

The cash secured puts also provide the widest range of management options from the perma-roll to conversion to put spreads later.

But I like the bit more income that can be achieved using put spreads and (apparently) like you if I have $2M cash then I will put it all to work. If I were using $100 wide spreads then I'd open 200 of them. If I were doing $50 wide spreads then I'd open 400 of them. I mitigate this tendency of mine by using wider spreads - I use $300 wide spreads right now, and thus would 'hold back' and only open 65(ish) of them. Fewer contracts = less leverage = losses accumulate more slowly as the share price goes down.

A side benefit - if I were to open $100 wide spreads instead of $300 wide spreads and hold back 2/3rds of my money so I don't have it all at risk then my income is better with the $300 wide spread (insurance put is cheaper; contract counts are the same). Of course I can also lose 3x the money if I sit back and do nothing or the shares crash really badly. Except my losses would actually be the same - I'd have 3x the contracts on the $100 wide spreads (not-advice; that's how I'd do things, not necessarily because its smart).

The max loss is the same in all of these positions ($2M - credit received) - just that max loss arrives much later with the wide spreads over narrower spreads, and it arrives the latest on naked puts. And I can open these positions in a US retirement account that is otherwise restricted to CSP.

This is great info and important to understand about how portfolio margin differs from regular margin, at least on US brokerage accounts (is that Reg-T margin?), and further differs from US retirement account trading restrictions. Considering just how very different these numbers are from what I have available and am doing, these effectively make for an entirely different analysis.

With roughly immediate study on my part, I'm pretty sure that my whole analysis and thinking about what and how to do would get to be redone from scratch :)

Spreads are a form of leverage, enabling us to take on larger positions than we can achieve using straight up cash (cash secured puts). They're also leverage that is available in retirement accounts, where leverage in the form of margin is not available in retirement accounts (US style anyway).

What makes the $20 wide spreads particularly risky is the tendency for some of us (me!) to use all of the available money. So if I were choosing between 1 of the $200 wide spreads and comparing its results to 1 of the $20 wide spreads, then I'd earn more premium in exchange for 10x max loss. Definitely not 10x on the premium side.

But that isn't what I'd be doing - I'd sell 1 of the $200 wide spreads or 10 of the $20 wide spreads. Now my capital at risk is identical - the difference is that max loss happens $20 ITM instead of $200 ITM.

Your analysis is entirely spot on and if you have the $20k to back one $200 wide spread or would choose to sell 2x $20 wide spreads, then yeah - same premium and a lot lower max loss. My personal problem in that situation is I'd be like "yeah - I can sell another 8 of these small spreads and earn 5x the premium!@%(&!". And then I'd do it, and then the insurance put would go ITM and I'd lose the $20k minus the collected premium (which will be larger on the 10x$20 wide spreads, but still).

So I use the $300 wide spreads for a few related reasons. First I do want some leverage in my positions - there's a big increase in income from using that leverage and I like that. However that also means I'm pulling my max loss strike up from $0 to my insurance put strike (assuming no management, the insurance put goes ITM, and I hold to expiration). In that 950/650 example of @Yoona shares need to reach 650 for a full loss, so that's part of my risk management - I'm a long ways away from a max loss.

From what I've seen these wide spreads behave almost identically to naked puts for some distance ITM on the short put. I haven't studied it intensely but I know that at 1/2 of the spread the available rolls are straight out in time for ~$0 debit/credit. In practice the rolls will be getting to look like that in the vicinity of the 1/2 way point. Below the mid point you'll be paying a debit for a straight roll, or rolling further ITM to get a credit. (Ugh). They get worse - it wouldn't matter if you were rolling 1 week or 3 months when you're that far ITM - it'll be the same dynamic for 1 or 10 week rolls as the midpoint in the spread is where time value on the two options is equal.

As best I can tell, up to about 1/4th of the way ITM the position is still behaving more like a naked put than not. Reasonable rolls are available that will improve the strike (maintaining the spread width) for a credit. I'm trying that out right now - I rolled 750/1050s for this week to 735/1035s for next week while the shares were at $970-975 (the 1/4th point ITM). These numbers are VERY dependent on the IV - over the summer IV was low enough that $40ish ITM was enough for a naked put to be into the rolling straight out for minimal credit land.

Anyway - with the wide spreads, the 1/4th point is big enough to provide some room to maneuver. On a $50 wide spread, those $1050 strike puts would have seen a max loss show up, at least for a day or two. And the good management rolls would be available down to ~$1038 with minimally effective rolls down to $1025; almost nothing considering how fast TSLA moves around.

Not directly in the discussion but applicable to me at least and controlling my tendency to use everything available, my overall account management target is to use at most 1/3rd of the account value as cash to back put spreads. The other 2/3rds are used to purchase long calls (usually 6 month DTE in retirement accounts and 24 months DTE in brokerage - a topic for another time) and use those calls to sell covered calls.

I don't do call spreads (personal choice) and I treat the 2/3rds in purchased calls as cash I would use in the event of a significant loss of cash. That'll keep my cash devoted to put spreads reasonably constant, and allows me to experience 2 max losses close together and still maintain the same level of put spread sales.

If I tried to hold that 2/3rds as cash, or 1/3rd in use, 1/3rd as cash not used, and 1/3rd in purchased calls, I would be looking at that 1/3rd unused cash and figuring out what I should do with it :)
As an epilogue to this novel, remember we are not fixed to one strategy that is "the best".

Personally I often have two or more types of BPS active, a more risky (narrower) one and a wider one.

When I feel the stock has dropped hugely and has hit a bottom, I tend to be more aggressive on puts/BPS and stay clear of calls entirely. When we hit ATH on the other hand I'm very wary of puts and will stay far OTM with them. At ATH it's call selling time.

This might be obvious, but can be easily overlooked. I think most here have lots of strategies in our arsenal and try to use the most fitting one for each situation. Every day in the market is unique, after all.

BTC 35x 12/17 p1000 @$19 (+$11) -> STO 35x 12/10 p1055 @$14 = going for the Theta by playing MP on the nose...

Bought on the peak and sold on a local dip, but missed the dip back below 1060, ah well, probably pinched $1, but could have been $2

It's quite fun rolling in and out of these puts daily, was great to get 75% time-decay already yesterday on the 12/10 p1000's, then rolled them to next week for $30, they reduced in 24 hours to $19 - again, I'm going to take that and now 1055 is getting very sticky, seemed a good bet to play for that
The madman is back!

BTC 35x 12/17 p1000 @$19 (+$11) -> STO 35x 12/10 p1055 @$14 = going for the Theta by playing MP on the nose...

Bought on the peak and sold on a local dip, but missed the dip back below 1060, ah well, probably pinched $1, but could have been $2

It's quite fun rolling in and out of these puts daily, was great to get 75% time-decay already yesterday on the 12/10 p1000's, then rolled them to next week for $30, they reduced in 24 hours to $19 - again, I'm going to take that and now 1055 is getting very sticky, seemed a good bet to play for that
Straight Puts are soo nice for this reason and rolling options as well.
Last week and this week (because of the roll on Monday) are the first weeks in a long while I have done BPS.
While straight Puts pay less compared to the spreads, it really is like watching paint dry sometimes letting the theta bleed off - when with the straight Put you can jump in and out daily and make way more.
I'm going to be switching back next week to the straight Puts and sticking with it through Q1 earnings as we are going to be bumpy +/- $100 days I am guessing.

Here is a really, really short description of the difference in the two kinds of margin. @Chenkers is working with portfolio margin and that's just different :)

Even with portfolio margin I don't think you can open 63x $200 bull put spreads for 100k margin... I have portfolio margin as well, and that costs me ~1.2M in buying power (as expected). I believe portfolio margin rules differ from brokerage to brokerage though, but that would be very surprising to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: UltradoomY
As @BornToFly points out a lot, the greatest advantage to pure put selling as opposed to spreads is that - in the case of Tesla and only Tesla - since we all agree Tesla SP will most likely be higher around 2030 than it is now - you can always roll them out in time for a credit, no matter how low the SP goes.

The % return per week will of course drop when the puts are underwater, but they will still be rollable indefinitely until Tesla rises again.

Spreads on the other hand, if they go completely ITM (both sides), you're in a pickle. Ask me how I know? :)

What you could do with capital as great as you have is to sell the pure puts once, netting you the $115k credit.

When 12/23 comes along and the credit is earned (let's assume), you keep pure put selling against the original $2M, but the new $115k is used as margin for spreads. Worst case they go underwater and you lost one week of premium from put selling.

You can’t always roll them out for a credit. If they get deep enough ITM rolling for a credit can become challenging.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Returning to the trading into strength topic, I've been looking for strength to sell new BPS, but missed today $1,033 - by the time I configured TOS conditions for my order, we went up, and never returned. Now, with our knowledge of general sentiment of potential upside, has anyone tried using Rate of Change to trigger STO orders?

Based on the last more than few occurrences, bear raids are fast and furious, so, RoC is significant, but, then we quickly recover. Instead of staying glued to the ticker waiting for the dip, has anyone tried setting up conditions to STO (trail market) BPS for your preferred strikes and expiration ONLY if RoC is, let's say lower than -1.0 (based on 5 1min bars)? Additional conditions could be setup too, like, order cancel date. With this RoC condition, for instance, this morning dip would've trigger the STO at about 9:39 am.

Has anybody tried running pmccs but diversify their port with deep itm leaps(delta .95+) AND less itm leaps(delta .8). I want to get a good return every week, but at the same time I want to capitalize if the stock moves up. Ideally if my short call goes itm, I would just roll over to next week.

You can’t always roll them out for a credit. If they get deep enough ITM rolling for a credit can become challenging.

Rolling out for a credit will always be possible, but when the puts get deep ITM it’s no longer possible to go one week out. The deeper ITM you get, the further out you will have to go. Maybe a few weeks or a month and in the worst case many months, but rolling for a credit will always be an option.

I was short 20 p1025 and 5 p1000 for 12/10, so the position went under water early this week. No sweat, rolling them out to 12/17 for a credit does the trick. The timing ofcourse is tricky. The maximum premium is reached when rolling on Friday with a SP of 1025, but what are the chances of that scenario? Going to 900 or 1100 would result in lower premiums for the roll. So I decided to roll 5 to 10 p1025 per day. The first roll on Monday gave me $20.00 premium each, on Tuesday I got $19.00 for the second batch and today $21.50 for the third batch. That is 40k for one week. Not bad in my book. I still haven’t touched the 5 x p1000. I may let them expire and wait for a dip to open a new position.

I found great prices for rolling put spreads from this week to next, so I did it, despite my intention to close more and roll less. Sigh.

What I'm left with for Dec 10 is p1000-1100 spreads that I REALLY REALLY mean to close this week, if it all possible. But they ended the day at $36 each and that ain't happening. I'm looking to close them late in the week or on a spike or whatever. The question is, what's the least I can pay to do it? The last two Fridays have su-ucked, so I don't want to count on a better close just by waiting until Friday. And I'm not confident we'll get far enough above $1100 to close for, say, $1... though if we pop up and I'm online to manage it of course I will.

I'm thinking of putting in a $8 close order for now, because that could happen if the stock price carries on like today and it's a price I'd be willing to pay (it's what I got to roll from last week to this week). I do believe we'll eventually get back above $1100, it's just becoming increasingly hard to say exactly when. :)

It won't be the end of the world if the price doesn't go up and I have to roll them out another week... I think it was offering around $6 this afternoon which is fine as far as it goes, but with Elon still selling my preference is to pay a bit to have the margin back instead of dragging this out until Q4 numbers hit or whatever.

Considering spread widths, I think this should be looked at as two quite different strategies:

Wide spreads can be rolled and managed, and if wide enough and you react early, there's many ways to avoid max loss - or any loss whatsoever. Roll out for time, strike improvement etc.

With very narrow spreads, the risk-reward ratio is better: you collect more credit in regards to capital at risk. But there are not many management ways if the stock goes against you, so you need to be prepared to take the occasional loss, or even max loss.
Lets look at really aggressive atm bps for 12/17: -p1060/+p1050. it pays $5 credit! So thats 50% of capital at risk! And max return/max loss is about 53%/43%.
But here, if stock drops to 1050 you are at max loss, and rolling options will be very limited. Otoh, if stock drops to 500, you are still only at that same max loss.

So its a totally different way of looking at selling options. what works for wide spreads or naked options, doesn't work for narrow, and vice versa.

I found great prices for rolling put spreads from this week to next, so I did it, despite my intention to close more and roll less. Sigh.

What I'm left with for Dec 10 is p1000-1100 spreads that I REALLY REALLY mean to close this week, if it all possible. But they ended the day at $36 each and that ain't happening. I'm looking to close them late in the week or on a spike or whatever. The question is, what's the least I can pay to do it? The last two Fridays have su-ucked, so I don't want to count on a better close just by waiting until Friday. And I'm not confident we'll get far enough above $1100 to close for, say, $1... though if we pop up and I'm online to manage it of course I will.

I'm thinking of putting in a $8 close order for now, because that could happen if the stock price carries on like today and it's a price I'd be willing to pay (it's what I got to roll from last week to this week). I do believe we'll eventually get back above $1100, it's just becoming increasingly hard to say exactly when. :)

It won't be the end of the world if the price doesn't go up and I have to roll them out another week... I think it was offering around $6 this afternoon which is fine as far as it goes, but with Elon still selling my preference is to pay a bit to have the margin back instead of dragging this out until Q4 numbers hit or whatever.
Same here. I rolled some 12/10 (OTM) BPSes to 12/17 today at attractive prices, even though I said to myself to close entirely to get more margin buffer. Oh well, there's always next week.

Considering spread widths, I think this should be looked at as two quite different strategies:

Wide spreads can be rolled and managed, and if wide enough and you react early, there's many ways to avoid max loss - or any loss whatsoever. Roll out for time, strike improvement etc.

With very narrow spreads, the risk-reward ratio is better: you collect more credit in regards to capital at risk. But there are not many management ways if the stock goes against you, so you need to be prepared to take the occasional loss, or even max loss.
Lets look at really aggressive atm bps for 12/17: -p1060/+p1050. it pays $5 credit! So thats 50% of capital at risk! And max return/max loss is about 53%/43%.
But here, if stock drops to 1050 you are at max loss, and rolling options will be very limited. Otoh, if stock drops to 500, you are still only at that same max loss.

So its a totally different way of looking at selling options. what works for wide spreads or naked options, doesn't work for narrow, and vice versa.
And then the argument of some folks here is that if you win that bet two weeks in a row, you then get a free total-loss...

Might be fun too try some low volume try-outs, but essentially it's coming down too picking the good strike of the shirt leg for the expiry date, and with $TSLA that's never easy...

I was originally trying to roll 12/17 to 12/23 this week, because last week I made ridiculous money rolling early. But now that the SP has stopped dropping, I'm seeing that it is no longer as profitable. 12/10 950s are worth almost nothing, but 12/17 are still worth a lot. So I will wait until next Wed/Thur to roll my 12/17 (which should be worth very little at that point) to 12/23. The added advantage is fewer days until expiration, which means I might feel comfortable turning the BPS into ICs with BCS 25-30% OTM.

Straight Puts are soo nice for this reason and rolling options as well.
Last week and this week (because of the roll on Monday) are the first weeks in a long while I have done BPS.
While straight Puts pay less compared to the spreads, it really is like watching paint dry sometimes letting the theta bleed off - when with the straight Put you can jump in and out daily and make way more.
I'm going to be switching back next week to the straight Puts and sticking with it through Q1 earnings as we are going to be bumpy +/- $100 days I am guessing.
I'm a fan of drying paint. All the pretty shades as they transition from one to another. The sheen of the wet paint as it slowly fades away into the color and texture you'll be living with for years. Drying paint - it gets such a bad rap.

Even with portfolio margin I don't think you can open 63x $200 bull put spreads for 100k margin... I have portfolio margin as well, and that costs me ~1.2M in buying power (as expected). I believe portfolio margin rules differ from brokerage to brokerage though, but that would be very surprising to me.
Maybe they just do things different Down Under! :D

Returning to the trading into strength topic, I've been looking for strength to sell new BPS, but missed today $1,033 - by the time I configured TOS conditions for my order, we went up, and never returned. Now, with our knowledge of general sentiment of potential upside, has anyone tried using Rate of Change to trigger STO orders?

Based on the last more than few occurrences, bear raids are fast and furious, so, RoC is significant, but, then we quickly recover. Instead of staying glued to the ticker waiting for the dip, has anyone tried setting up conditions to STO (trail market) BPS for your preferred strikes and expiration ONLY if RoC is, let's say lower than -1.0 (based on 5 1min bars)? Additional conditions could be setup too, like, order cancel date. With this RoC condition, for instance, this morning dip would've trigger the STO at about 9:39 am.
more NOT-ADVICE.

There are time when selling into strength (assuming we're talking about puts) means selling those puts (or put spreads) when the shares are actually up at that point in time.

What we're really doing when "selling into strength" is to sell the puts at a -relative- low point in the share price. It can always go lower (those 1050s I sold when the shares were 1150 say 'hi') but even when that happens, selling at what one believes to be a relative low point means that even when the trade goes against you, you're still that much better off when management time arrives.

I have definitely opened puts / put spreads when the shares were green and I felt strongly they were going up. I figure the one good time for that sort of thing was yesterday and today; the shares are at a relatively low price (closer to the bottom of the trading range than the top), and now showing some life doing up.

But generally speaking - I open puts / put spreads on red days and close them on green days. Meanwhile calls are opened on green days and closed on red days.

With a bit of BPS leverage and CC on long DTE long calls (a bit more leverage for a few more CC sales) - I am shooting for closer to 2-3% weekly using pretty far OTM positions (last week and this week being exceptions, but also playing for 7% weekly gains the last couple of weeks). NOT-ADVICE - that's my own goals and context, risk appetite, etc..

I think that's a very good strategy... Just to confirm - is that 7% on your total account value in the past couple of weeks?

I’ve found that timing these trades is best done by real time ticker staring based on price action and volume. I would be interested to see how your trade setup would perform, though

Reactions: ABC2D

I have a similar position. I have a GTC roll to next week for $10(?) open that should trigger if we hit 1070 or so the next days.

I have a similar position. I have a GTC roll to next week for $10(?) open that should trigger if we hit 1070 or so the next days.
I too have this position, but I roll on Wednesday the latest if the SP is not close to my short leg by a lot, I am afraid of early assignment. That happened to me twice, but not TSLA, a different stock.

I think that's a very good strategy... Just to confirm - is that 7% on your total account value in the past couple of weeks?
Good question. It's 7% of the capital at risk in the trade. For me that's approximately all of the cash I keep on hand, which I target at 1/3rd of account value.

I'll also get something on the cc side, though I haven't done enough yet to get a handle on the return. The way I'll calculate it though - if I've got an option worth $600 then a $6 credit is 1%. I'll need to earn really large credits to get similar % return from the put spreads. Then again I think of them as gravy, as well as being the unused cash that I use for max loss protection on the put spread side.