Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure you’re fine. News came out shortly before 2:30 and it still hasn’t touched your strike.

F470EE20-932B-4CCD-94DD-44FCDFD9C297.jpeg

If I don't post again after 8pm EDT, it means I've had a heart attack.... 🥴
I knew there was a reason I've been eating beans and Tofu while I watch others each juicy, grilled, yummy looking steaks....

Well, that was closer than I had planned. I always close options before end of day Friday when they are close, but now I will close them no matter what!

Thanks everyone for the AH info! Have a safe/fun weekend.

Hopefully next week will be a good one for all of our ITM BPS spreads.....

Last edited:
Years ago I was freaking out about getting assigned a after hours long put and the broker told me that despite the options exercising up to 5:30pm the relevant price was closing and after hours were considered for options.

However I’ve had my broker tell me some blatantly incorrect stuff before and chewed them out for it so they could have been wrong about that as well.

Changed my mind and sold cc against longer term leaps and shares. The 850 cc for next week were good for $2 - not as much as I'd like but also about as low of a strike for these cc's as I would accept. Plan for management is to roll them aggressively to avoid assignment as needed. I would like to be earning more like $4 per week but these haven't been earning anything for more than a month, so a little bit back in the game is welcome.

Also planning to have these cc's closed for earnings - just in case earnings is the trigger for a big rally I want the covering calls out of the way.
OOPS.

I kinda goofed and did a BTO on those 850cc for next week (rather than STO). And I didn't figure that out until just now, well after hours.

Here's to hoping for a nice big jump in the share price first thing Monday morning :D

I think it's moot whether you allow the existing position to expire or roll at the same strike - yes if you roll, can be the SP dumps and it goes against you, but that can happen five minutes after you open the next buy/write, so I don't consider that a factor

One thing that does influence for me is that on share buy/sells there a government tax of 0.35%, capped at €1600, and in the case of assignments a broker fee of 0.3% - on a typical 10x $TSLA 700 strike position I'll pay ~$3800, but rolling the options costs $25
I don't like the constraints you live with :p

Totally agree with the rolls.

The former is an important reason that I take early profits on a significant move. I've been in too many trades where a good opportunity like that turned into a nightmare, even when it eventually worked out, to risk the stomach acid. And besides the early close freed up those shares - you're in a great position today to open a replacement position!

With the Twitter deal now off and AH TSLA action, my 18/7 800CCs look like a big hot potato.

• Funny
Reactions: elasalle
I knew there was a reason I've been eating beans and Tofu while I watch others each juicy, grilled, yummy looking steaks....

Well, that was closer than I had planned. I always close options before end of day Friday when they are close, but now I will close them no matter what!

Thanks everyone for the AH info! Have a safe/fun weekend.

Hopefully next week will be a good one for all of our ITM BPS spreads.....

Seems like you are all right however had I not bought back my 8/7 765CCs Wednesday and left then expire « worthless » today I would probably have been assigned after hours on 25 contracts and a big fat tax bill too.

Happy to have the problem to manage CCs next week instead. Managing CCs is fun, no margin management. It’s the relaxing part of option trading.

rolled the 2 -c i still had out and up for +- 0 to next week and 14 days out respectively. They now form a diagonal (7/15 -c, 7/22 +c and 7/22 -c, 9/16 +c) instead of caendar calls. Will roll them further any time the theta gets near 0 until they form a bull call spread at expiry of the +c's
sounds fascinating, i really need to understand how this works

I am happy I closed my 8/7 765CCs 2 days ago for 85% profit.
that's exactly how it's done - cash out and remove risk

In fact it seems sensible to me, to just keep rolling at the same strike while there's decent premium available, if the SP comes back down and puts them OTM, then that's an added bonus

Key to this is to accepting the shares to be called-away at the original 700 strike, it's when you want to hold onto them and start looking for free-roll/strike improvements, that's when it all goes bad
i used to roll nonstop the -c of B/W; recently i had been doing the BTC/STO separately (ie timing dips/peaks) to squeeze out more credit

to "double" the B/W income, next lesson i need to learn is the mechanics/timing of buying LEAPS for the B/W... i wish there is a real-life example here of someone doing B/W on LEAPS

does anyone know if Elon needs to sell shares AGAIN :mad: if he needs $1B cash for the breakup fee?

Years ago I was freaking out about getting assigned a after hours long put and the broker told me that despite the options exercising up to 5:30pm the relevant price was closing and after hours were considered for options.

However I’ve had my broker tell me some blatantly incorrect stuff before and chewed them out for it so they could have been wrong about that as well.
For the AUTOMATIC handling of exercise/lapse this is correct. Otm gets lapsed, it's gets exercised
But you can override that manually at any time.

At IBKR it works as follows:
15:00 your things get forced closed if you don't have the margin for a probable assignment (RH does this even earlier).
Until 16:00 you can trade them normally.
Until 17:00 you can override the automatic exercise/lapse so that IBKR had a chance to submit them on time.

At any point until 17:00 you can change your mind an set other orders (yes, exercise/lapse is an order type there.. like LMT, mkt, IOC, Io, loc, etc..) and before 17:00 you can (at any time(!)) Press "exercise/lapse now".

So ... I think they answered you a question you have not asked 😅
Like, if YOU can exercise stuff. Things can get exercises AGAINST you until 17:30.

That's why everyone preaches "close everything, no matter what" 😅