Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd follow-up on a comment I recently left. My poor man's tracker using group labels in ToS:

1630686951889.png

It's a little more work though truthfully fairly trivial if you keep up with it, to manually add/subtract credits each time you roll. Beauty is you can simply update the labels as you go along to reflect the new credits/debits and positions. Can get more fancy by adding position size in the label and whatever else may be important.

Yes I still need to roll those 705cc's today, fortunate they haven't been called away. Considering sending them to a 10/15 expiry at $750 strike unless anyone has a better idea 🥺

Reactions: UltradoomY
Absolutely. I only own 900 shares and besides my regular option trading have tried to buy 100 more by first selling 1 close to ATM put when the SP was in the high 600s. I think I did this like every week for awhile and all I got for my trouble was cash.
Then I sold ATM puts. Then I sold a put that was ITM and Still, the stock screwed me! LOL
Now it's higher than I want to buy that extra 100 but I figure I will some day get one of my larger positions put to me and I'll keep 100 shares at that time
Haha. At that rate you’ll soon have made enough premium to buy a set of shares. :)

sold another credit put spread in my ira during the dip. Now just need to sell sto the calls for next week again this afternoon.

The way I look at it is my account used to only go up when TSLA went up. Now it goes up when TSLA is flat or goes up. So 2/3 possible scenarios I am happy with now. Plus I enjoy the math puzzle/strategy aspects of options selling.
It also likely goes up when tsla goes down too. I track my weekly closed g/l and some of the weeks when my overall account value got hammered I still closed positions for a 1-2% weekly gain. Then when the stock does recover it’s like it’s on juice.

Well my call spread experiment was a success, so that was nice.

Also I promised to report some info about a wide spread BPS vs straight sold puts regarding rolling, so here's what I found. I was unable to test ITM rolling (thankfully), but what I noticed was that while the difference in premium when I opened the BPS and puts was only .26 in favor of the puts, if I wanted to roll a week the puts had about a .5-.6 advantage in premium. This shrunk a bit as things went farther OTM to where it was about .3-.4 advantage. In my case this was a 480/-685p spread vs -685p. I have no idea if this is meaningful or typical.

Thought I'd follow-up on a comment I recently left. My poor man's tracker using group labels in ToS:

View attachment 704708

It's a little more work though truthfully fairly trivial if you keep up with it, to manually add/subtract credits each time you roll. Beauty is you can simply update the labels as you go along to reflect the new credits/debits and positions. Can get more fancy by adding position size in the label and whatever else may be important.

Yes I still need to roll those 705cc's today, fortunate they haven't been called away. Considering sending them to a 10/15 expiry at $750 strike unless anyone has a better idea 🥺
That's a great tip. I love the speed and simplicity of using Thinkorswim Web, and also the less resources it takes vs running the desktop app, But I think I need to spend some time learning more of the desktop app. It is a beast though.

I am thinking about selling my retal property to sell puts; I would get around 200k and it makes 10-8k a year. Good idea or bad idea? The only think I really like about ER is that I don't have to think about it, I just set it and forget it and it is like is on autopilot 🤣 .
Juan, this is a different risk profile. Will you have enough of the barbell, to weather another march of 2019 (or was it 2020?). Point is that for sanity make sure that you have enough of boring assets so that the downturns don't crunch your gut.

I am thinking about selling my retal property to sell puts; I would get around 200k and it makes 10-8k a year. Good idea or bad idea? The only think I really like about ER is that I don't have to think about it, I just set it and forget it and it is like is on autopilot 🤣 .
I actually abandoned my prospect in real estates to focus on the market. I feel like I'm having a firmer grasp on its mechanics and the return is comparable, if not higher for less work.

BTW. I sold 1x 9/10 750 CC for $3. For science of course. You're all welcomed.

Last edited:
I personally find rental properties an immense PITA, and want to exit mine as soon as possible. The fact that I bought it in 2005 before a 50% dive has a lot to do with it. It just sucks time like that old Hanks’ film MONEY PIT. I can’t imagine you can’t do better with TSLA options, even with losing the tax benefits. This is also potentially a real estate bubble currently to sell into, maybe/maybe not, but it is certainly high and easy to sell in most locations.

Another option if you wanted to keep the rental (and not have a taxable gain?) is to consider a HELOC on it?

Added to my pile of 710 bps for next week. These are $60 spread sizes, giving me mostly $80 spread sizes and now these $60s.

So - add 650/710 bps at about $3.25 credit. I think I've even caught a low point ($725) share price, but we'll see about that. I feel safe with both the 720s and 710s, but we'll see how that evolves. Both chosen as I believe that 700 is a really strong support and both should be manageable down to that level should it prove necessary.

OMG, I just got done mowing my grass and I was thinking the same thing while I was mowing. Maybe it’s time to sell the rentals.