Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6% return for 6 trading days with a 96.6% probability of profit sound good to me.

Already at 35% profit ... to close or not close? that is the question 🤣

oh an this is so depressing:

IV depressing.JPG

Last edited:
Already at 35% profit ... to close or not close? that is the question 🤣

oh an this is so depressing:

View attachment 710200

I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for IV. If it's temporary, then it's a great time to buy LEAPs. But maybe we are range bound now that TSLA is an S&P stock.

According to MC, it is trending even lower:
TSLA implied volatility (IV) is 36.7, which is in the 2% percentile rank. This means that 2% of the time the IV was lower in the last year than the current level. The current IV (36.7) is -5.1% below its 20 day moving average (38.7) indicating implied volatility is trending lower

So....i apologize for this newb question but, for those of you with 401k's/roth (ie, non-taxable accounts), if you're trading stonks, why wouldn't someone just trade as close to the money as possible to maximize premiums? One wouldn't care if the shares were bought or sold because you aren't getting taxed. so for example if i were to sell calls, shouldn't i just go as close to $760 whether selling calls or puts, to extract maximum premiums?

Reactions: UltradoomY
So....i apologize for this newb question but, for those of you with 401k's/roth (ie, non-taxable accounts), if you're trading stonks, why wouldn't someone just trade as close to the money as possible to maximize premiums? One wouldn't care if the shares were bought or sold because you aren't getting taxed. so for example if i were to sell calls, shouldn't i just go as close to $760 whether selling calls or puts, to extract maximum premiums?
I do that with puts, but not with calls. I try to guess on Friday’s close and sell CCs above that number. I believe in the company mission and want to stay invested in as many shares as possible. Also, in IRAs there’s no margin, so must have free cash to buyback and roll, if I’ve guessed wrong (like it’s looking for this week). Edit: yes, no tax implications, so turning the wheel isn’t a problem and I’ve done it several times, but not because I wanted to, but because I guessed wrong on the SP close.

I think most of us prefer not to lose shares, even when taxes are not a consideration.

I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for IV. If it's temporary, then it's a great time to buy LEAPs. But maybe we are range bound now that TSLA is an S&P stock.

According to MC, it is trending even lower:
TSLA implied volatility (IV) is 36.7, which is in the 2% percentile rank. This means that 2% of the time the IV was lower in the last year than the current level. The current IV (36.7) is -5.1% below its 20 day moving average (38.7) indicating implied volatility is trending lower

In all fairness, "within that last year" is a pretty poor period to benchmark TSLA on. IV was crazy bonkers over the past year due to many different factors. Over a 5 year period might be a better benchmark.

Aside from taxes or sentimentality, there’s the issue that many here think shares will rise bigly at some point. If that’s when your shares get called away, you may be on the sidelines for a rise that exceeds what put and call premiums offer. $50 in a day hasn’t been that unusual in the last 18 months, for instance, but it’s well more than you’d make in a revolution of the wheel.

If you feel like shares are likely to stay flat, of course, that calculation would look much different.

To add to the other suggestions, you could also do a split roll to reduce the sold put strike and reduce the spread size (if you need more buying power).

Example:
From 411x +p680/-p715
To 500x +p680/-p700
Does anyone use the delta hedge for a threatened spread? I really like that idea on paper more than a split roll or flip roll or closing position out…. But I’m New to spreads and curious If @Yoona or @dl003 or anyone else does this sort of thing? Basically buying otm puts or calls (or shares) before it reaches danger zone seems a nice way to keep the trade on especially because often the condor would be in danger after a lot of theta burns off…. So those temporary puts or calls might lose you some fees and some premium but sure seems smart to me?!

I used to take that approach, and now no longer have my original low cost shares, some repurchases are even above current SP from early 2021 which I suppose doesn’t matter. Part of the expectation was to be able to repurchase on Monday at assignment price or less which I think happened most of the time, haven’t closely analyzed it, but I did get burned a few times with Monday prices being higher (so lost appreciation). That can happen frequently when TSLA is on an upward trend.

So basically, if you were to sell CC ATM and benefit $5 on the premium, but lose $5 upon rebuying at higher than assignment, there would be no net benefit. Just another trade off to consider.

Another approach is to sell 1/3 ATM and 2/3 higher than you expect the SP to close on expiration day, to maximize premium, and have fewer contracts to have to track for rolling. But doing that one can get caught with the price to close being higher than the original premium.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mickificki
Does anyone use the delta hedge for a threatened spread? I really like that idea on paper more than a split roll or flip roll or closing position out…. But I’m New to spreads and curious If @Yoona or @dl003 or anyone else does this sort of thing? Basically buying otm puts or calls (or shares) before it reaches danger zone seems a nice way to keep the trade on especially because often the condor would be in danger after a lot of theta burns off…. So those temporary puts or calls might lose you some fees and some premium but sure seems smart to me?!
I have never really had much luck doing this sort of hedging. Most of the time I buy shares or calls right where the stock is poised for a pullback and the chance of it further running away is slim. Closing one of the wings or rolling it out early to take some profit is much cheaper imo.

I don't. I think I need an example :)

I have never really had much luck doing this sort of hedging. Most of the time I buy shares or calls right where the stock is poised for a pullback and the chance of it further running away is slim. Closing one of the wings or rolling it out early to take some profit is much cheaper imo.
Thanks!

I don't. I think I need an example :)

Hope this helps.

• Love
Sorry if this has been covered, but I seem to remember people like @Lycanthrope not being able to open spreads as one trade. If that is the case, when setting up a bps, are you able to sell and buy the puts separately? Is there an order you would do this in or does it matter?
Indeed, my broker has no combination or complex order facilities, just simple BTO, STO, BTC, BTO, that's it

Unless you have a massive cash/margin to hand, you need to open the long leg first - in my case, if I just tried to sell the short leg it wouldn't accept it - "Insufficient funds", the long leg limits that margin requirement to the width of the strike x the number of contacts

And yes, it's a stress time opening and closing these spreads with multiple orders as the SP can move against you before you get the chance to sell the short, so good idea to set them up when the SP looks flat - if you're feeling lucky then you can buy the long leg on a pop, then try to time the short on a dip, but obvious inherent risks with such an approach

I'm very new to this, scroll up 20 pages and there was a lot of great discussion on BPS