Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting , wonder what they're up to next ...

EDIT: Iron butterfly? What is it?

By @generalenthu
Last updated at: 2022-02-01 20:48:59 UTC
volume every minute where volume >= 500 contracts

Minutepricestrikeoption_typeExpiryincVol
15:47932300put2022-02-182500
15:47932300call2022-02-182500
15:47932500call2022-02-182500
15:47932500put2022-02-182500
This looks like a Box strategy when someone is trying to arb some funding inefficiencies. It would be very cheap to put this on as it doesn't take any directional risk.

In it's essence it is very likely a synthetic long paired with a synthetic short. And depending on which leg is long or short, you'll end up with excess or deficit cash of $50 million until 2/18.

If the stock is likely to pin at one of these strikes, it could get fugly. Clearly that's not a major cause for concern.

More here: obviously you could also think of this as a bps paired with a bcs, both at the same strikes.

This looks like a Box strategy when someone is trying to arb some funding inefficiencies. It would be very cheap to put this on as it doesn't take any directional risk.

In it's essence it is very likely a synthetic long paired with a synthetic short. And depending on which leg is long or short, you'll end up with excess or deficit cash of $50 million until 2/18.

If the stock is likely to pin at one of these strikes, it could get fugly. Clearly that's not a major cause for concern.

More here: obviously you could also think of this as a bps paired with a bcs, both at the same strikes.

I tried this once. Fidelity refused to fill the order saying they no longer allow box strategies due to risk of early assignment.

Reactions: generalenthu
Looking for more opportunities today to free more margin. Last week I rolled out, down and wide to 4/14 900/600 to get out of way. That same spread can be rolled nearer and UP to 2/11 1020/720 at a credit of $45 $21, sitting similar to where the above trade ended. The spread could be rolled at midway, say slightly above 900, should we need to. IF the price trend continues, this spread too could likely be closed, freeing 150k of margin weeks earlier.

With no certainty ever of anything sticking, is this a silly thought OR simply wait the April expire?

EDIT: $21 credit, not $45 ...
I didn't close my puts Jan'22 for $3K each in December, because I thought that was a "waste of the money".
21 Jan 22, I closed them at $13K each.
Well ok, I rolled them into Feb '11, but after carnage of the last week, I felt happy to close Feb at slight gain, so $13K it is.
Not sure if these is any lesson in this, as I've had opposite examples too.
Original price I sold them was 23K prob 8 months ago.

I tried this once. Fidelity refused to fill the order saying they no longer allow box strategies due to risk of early assignment.
You're right. I might have got into a box once and was a learning experience.

I think the short call leg was immediately exercised. And there was no borrow available. So the broker immediately liquidated the short position and I was left with 3 legs and cash with directional risk. I had to liquidate the rest at a decent size loss I think.

What looked like a cheap box was actually not cheap because the borrow needed for one of the legs was super expensive.

Yesterday I sold some far otm CC’s on strength

Today I closed a few call spread legs of an April IC during the morning dip and sold a few 1100/1110/850/840 for the 11th.

Still taking it easy while I wait for my rolled spreads to recover, and trying my best to be disciplined and play both sides. Although, I’m getting more and more confident in this being the bottom after seeing AMD and Google after hours.

Took the opportunity to roll and widen my 2/4 $1040/$940 BPS to 2/11 $1040/$890 at a credit of $15.35

That's the last of my far ITM BPS for this week. All have been rolled to 2/11 and widened. Feeling OK about closing them or more likely rolling for credit next week on any spike near $1000.

Now just sitting on a couple $1000/$900 2/4 BPS that I'll roll at today's high, which will hopefully be around $945+.

Took the opportunity to roll and widen my 2/4 $1040/$940 BPS to 2/11 $1040/$890 at a credit of $15.35

That's the last of my far ITM BPS for this week. All have been rolled to 2/11 and widened. Feeling OK about closing them or more likely rolling for credit next week on any spike near $1000.

Now just sitting on a couple $1000/$900 2/4 BPS that I'll roll at today's high, which will hopefully be around $945+.
Where does your conviction that we will spike close to $1000 next week come from?

Was Monday and Tues just a dead cat bounce in growth?
Looks to me like there's a huge battle to push QQQ down below certain technical levels to maintain the bear trend against the pushback of blockbuster earnings.

For TSLA we're options driven. What could be more perfect than $900 today? Put rollers get screwed. All the $1000c holders the next three weeks crap their pants. It's perfect.

I'm calling an afternoon rebound in TSLA once the retail options crowd gives up on profits. But I'm an eternal optimist, so discount my guess appropriately. Just seems just way too much good news to hold QQQ down like this. Even the Fed is saying today they're not letting "market frenzy" speed their rate raise schedule.