Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've managed to dodge any loss on BPSes so far, most are managed out for a while- but I've got a few losers that slipped through the cracks at -1025/+915 for tomorrow expiration.

Even on the 935ish spike I didn't see any roll that didn't look terrible...(varied from things like roll a week out for a loss of 6-10 bucks a share and no reason to think they'll get OTM by then, to roll to April 14 and down a bit for a $25-35 a share loss)

Anybody have any clever not advice for anything worth doing with these other than "eat max loss, be glad it's only a fraction of all the spreads you had going, and start again"?

So I've managed to dodge any loss on BPSes so far, most are managed out for a while- but I've got a few losers that slipped through the cracks at -1025/+915 for tomorrow expiration.

Even on the 935ish spike I didn't see any roll that didn't look terrible...(varied from things like roll a week out for a loss of 6-10 bucks a share and no reason to think they'll get OTM by then, to roll to April 14 and down a bit for a $25-35 a share loss)

Anybody have any clever not advice for anything worth doing with these other than "eat max loss, be glad it's only a fraction of all the spreads you had going, and start again"?
Depending on your expectations, one possible move would be to roll up and out, keep the spread the same, but increase the strike prices?

I did that with a bad loser that was pretty close to max loss. I figured I had nothing to lose. Your situation is a bit different in that you are not at max loss, so this strategy would bring that into play.

"Not advice". Widen the spread if you have extra cash or margin and see if you can roll then for even or a slight credit.

I regret not doing this last week and taking max loss on my 950/1000 BPS's that expired 1/28. I did this yesterday on 950/1000 exp 2/4 and widened them slightly to 940/1000 for 50c credit. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I had done this today I would have gotten a lot more credit, but FB results overnight have me just happy that we are a certain color today.

Depending on your expectations, one possible move would be to roll up and out, keep the spread the same, but increase the strike prices?

I did that with a bad loser that was pretty close to max loss. I figured I had nothing to lose. Your situation is a bit different in that you are not at max loss, so this strategy would bring that into play.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a good option there either...

For example going a week out and $10 up keeping spread the same is a net DEBIT of a bit over $11 a share....same to March 11 is $21/sh debit.

Even going much further up, like March 11 at -$1100/+990, is still a bit over $7/sh net debit.

Least ugly thing I've found so far is April 14 up and wider at -$1100/+975 for about $3 net debit.

"Not advice". Widen the spread if you have extra cash or margin and see if you can roll then for even or a slight credit.

I regret not doing this last week and taking max loss on my 950/1000 BPS's that expired 1/28. I did this yesterday on 950/1000 exp 2/4 and widened them slightly to 940/1000 for 50c credit. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I had done this today I would have gotten a lot more credit, but FB results overnight have me just happy that we are a certain color today.

$10 widen (on long leg move) to next week costs me about $10/share debit.

To get to close to even I'd need to keep the short leg $1025, and drop the long to $875.... increasing max loss quite a lot and needing SP above 1025 in 8 days (though I guess it leaves me able to roll without loss down to $950ish by next friday)

How do you all deal with the expensive roll propositions. Meaning, although I can roll 2/11 960/850 to September 900/750 down, out, and wide for credit, the cost of the short leg goes from 72$ to 161$ ... just makes a huge snowball to deal with if we for whatever reason are held down beyond September. Buying to close then would be a problem.

Alternatively I can close two almost similar spreads at a 10k loss.

It helps me to not think of it as rolling a position, but rather closing one, and opening another. Just take the loss, and open another position that you are happy with.

Thank you for this note... I took advantage of the run up and closed one spread with a profit. It feels oh so good, for a change. Checking my journal, I had rolled to 2/11 with credit, so I am net green there, of course not what it'd want it to expire at. Working out the price on the other next. The closing of these at say "even" or better, resets 66K of margin, and as you say, I can open something new !!

Well argh - I pulled all of these messages to quote at once, expecting I could then respond to each individually. Ah well - y'all get several messages in one!

Lots of NOT-ADVICE here!

Thanks, going far out would take away some stress and still have margin to work with for the rest of the year.

Another question, is if the -950/+910 is rolled out to 18 FEB for a -$1 debit, I could make an Iron Condor with a matching credit spread -1040c/+1080c for +$3.47 to to pay the cost of the roll (and then some) for no added risk (margin).

Is it fair to factor this IC strategy (with no added margin) as helping the break even of the BPS ?

Sorry to clutter the thread with all the noob questions.
The way I look at ICs - the margin required doesn't change but the risk doubles. A strong move in either direction will put pressure on that side of the IC. Broadly speaking ICs perform best in a sideways market. Sideways can be pretty broad if the put and call spreads are far OTM but its still a sideways market strategy.

I know that if I were adding a BCS to make an IC that I would add that credit to the BPS side credit / debit. I think it is totally legit to use the call spread credit to offset the put spread debit to make an overall credit trade..

Fellow TMCers,

It is hard to imagine the sentiment changing without a bad washout capitulation across the market. The bears are firmly in charge and the frowning 'adults' in the room cannot stop talking about interest rates, PE compression, consumer balance sheet exhaustion (working people ie 98% of population) and inflation, god forbid another variant attack...

Of course in particular it is open season on TSLA and all things Tesla. It is obvious to all that even the current administration is sour on Tesla and looking to level the playing field for its paying 'customers'. Like TSLAQ is not enough....

Why do I say all this? Please be defensive. Look to FB for ridiculous moves that are possible. Ask yourself when further interest rate hikes are off the table. 2024? And remind yourself that the first rate hike has not even occurred, market pricing aside. This is not something that will resolve in a couple of weeks. Large parts of the market believe that the Fed has blown it and there will be a recession. Market is forward looking and will snap back when you least expect it, but it can also go down far beyond what you feel is reasonable (and I do mean FAR beyond), especially for stocks like TSLA. Traders need to expect and be prepared for huge swings and trade accordingly.

Personally I will stick to voting with my wallet. TSLA and all stocks renewable get my investment cash, and if I go down with the ship so be it. I have some small margin in my accounts that I look to pay down with option selling on the fringes. I have a family, so I do keep cash reserves and have little to no debt overall. 'Reasonable' people are investing in fossils now, pounding the table over their cash flows and energy demand. I find them to be most unreasonable.

Above all, the clarion call for a bear market is in the air. That would be a minimum of 20% overall. That would put the QQQs in the mid 320s. SPY in the low 380s. It is hard to see how the QQQs and market can base and march to new highs without these levels at least being visited in the face of rising interest rates. And of course, the market overshoots in both directions. Always... One year ago the QQQs were at 300 and two years ago (pre COVID) were at 200.

All the best and this too shall pass.
The details differ, but this is also how I'm seeing things. One dynamic that I also am trying to think about and put into my own thinking - there is a big pool of investors that haven't ever experienced a really, really big drop in the market. Blood in the streets / full capitulation / the house is burning down kind of drop.

More particularly one where the real economy performs badly, the stock market performs badly, and the two feed on each other. The 07/08 period might qualify. There is a 50% drop in the market that took about 2 and a half years to play out. What do I see different this time around?
1- the heavy market intervention last time around has arguably been what's propped up the market for the last 2 years. Is that tapped out? We certainly don't have the same level of ability to intervene (easy money primarily, but also incremental spending) as we had at the start of the pandemic.
2- It seems to me like each time we do this, the market has better and better information, and these things happen faster and faster. That's a feel and intuition - not something that I've particularly studied or researched. Can we do a 50% drop in 1 year this time? 50% on Tesla would be around $600/share. An overnight 1/5th move would take a pretty good whack at that.
3- I don't know the degree to which short sellers could manipulate the market or individual companies / stock the last time around, but as a close follower of TSLA and observer of other market events it looks to me like the short sellers are better at the game today than they were 10 years ago. They are also increasingly brazen about it (I am particularly reminded of the Gamestop short squeeze).
4- If any stock is wagged by its option tail it is TSLA.

What I've been doing - taking out leverage right and left. Put spreads are widening and probably going to cash secured puts for the next go-around. I'm also thinking about 50% wide spreads (50% of share price) so I can get some leverage and a lot of naked put like behavior. If I were selling a 700 strike put today that would be a 700/350 and is mostly beneficial in a retirement account. Even in a marginable account I would keep those cash secured.

I'm looking at closing longer dated share replacement calls or at least selling aggressive covered calls against them. If I were buying new share replacement calls today I would be spending 1/2 of the share price for at least 1 year to expiration.

Again - not-advice.

At open, I am going to roll my 980 2/25 puts out to August or September and down as far as possible. I do think we are headed towards a not fun environment and better safe than sorry.

EDIT: Rolled everything to August 19th 850 Puts for enough of a credit to pay my tax bill. This will also let me sleep better at night and it will give me the freedom to roll forward should we get closer to ATH. I largely wanted to avoid getting my ITM puts exercised in the middle of the night.
Thank you for this idea. Not the put specific idea but the idea of selling further out dated options to raise significant cash today. In my case I'm looking at "pre-selling" shares that I want and need to sell anyway out in March 2023. I prefer March to January as I want to stay away from the Jan expiration and I'd like a couple of extra months to time the actual close of the position for tax reasons while keeping it early in the year. To some degree that will postpone my tax bill reckoning, or at least spread it out.

for LEAPs as share replacement.. what would the not-advice here be about safe strikes?
For me buying today and with a desire to lower my leverage I would be looking at 2 for 1 with at least a 1 year expiration. I might even go 3 for 2 and a 2 year expiration. So shares at $920(ish) - I'd be finding the 2 year option that I would be paying $460ish. I'd guess that is around the 600 strike. So I might keep going down to something closer to a $600 cost option - probably around the 400 or 450 strike.

That is a fairly small amount of leverage and provides a lot of room for the shares to go down and come back and at least break even while providing a lot of time for selling covered calls.

Update - I just checked my cost basis on these Puts that were early assigned and they are $857..... between time value left and share price over cost basis, seems fishy.... Either way - Yay more shares and time for some WHEEL!
I'd be very interested in hearing how this particular position evolves. The number of positions isn't so important but sort of a running tally of the credits and cost basis, how close / far from the money the call side is, and how it all works out for you emotionally.

The one time I intentionally turned the wheel I found that turning shares into cash (once I decided to do it) was easy. But once I was in cash I was spending way too much time thinking about when the call assignment would happen, whether that assignment would be for a lower price eating up the credits, or if the shares would take off and I would leave a bunch of money on the table.

But this is one reason for me to go back to naked puts. Takes the last bit of leverage on that side off of the table while also re-enabling the wheel as a fall back position. Its interesting to me that you were around $200 ITM on these puts before assignment happened - that is a big window to keep rolling for credits. Of course its based on IV as well so $200 ITM at low IV is not at all like $200 ITM today. Still even that much is already informative.

Phew. Survived another week. I was having problems earlier in the week rolling some BPS -1030/730 spreads for credit when we were well above their mid point. This caused me to look into doubling contracts and halving spread size.

I calculated the credits I took earlier. And figured what I needed to keep to maintain my 2% per week per trade goal. Some of these were at like 14% per week. So I rolled for debits to bring my trades back in line with 2% per week. This enabled me to roll many down. Now my highest sold strike is 970, where as before it was 1030.

I will also look to be closing out positions if they hit even slightly green. It’s way better to have trades go according to plan than to mess with managing them.

In the future, as soon as a trade needs manage. I’m going to look to exit at break even. Had I done that, I would have been out of this mess 2 weeks ago and would have been able to enter earnings on my terms. Not the terms of mr market.

How do you all deal with the expensive roll propositions. Meaning, although I can roll 2/11 960/850 to September 900/750 down, out, and wide for credit, the cost of the short leg goes from 72$ to 161$ ... just makes a huge snowball to deal with if we for whatever reason are held down beyond September. Buying to close then would be a problem.

Alternatively I can close two almost similar spreads at a 10k loss.
NOT-ADVICE I dealt with mine by eating the loss rather than rolling for debits. I did roll once for a debit before taking the loss.

The way I see it - I'm still on the hook for the max loss. I'm just tossing in some extra money (loss) in order to keep the max loss alive. It is also the case that I was in a particularly bad position and didn't see a likely successful way back out of the big loss (the insurance was a 950 strike - I would still be in max loss land!).

So when I started looking at rolls and feeling like it -could- work, but I also felt like I had dice in my hand ready to roll, that was when I bailed. I've got a strong income constraint, and dice at the table is not an income strategy!

Back in with some 950 covered calls for next week and $18. These are covering shares I need to sell soon regardless and since I was previously looking at selling at 900 having these go ITM would be awesome. I don't need to sell them REALLY soon though, so collecting some credits along the way works just fine for me as well.

If I can collect enough weekly credits over the next month or 2 then that might be enough to run a long dated roll in say March to raise the remaining cash I'll need while postponing the sale of these shares. It is remarkable how liberating it is to decide that the shares are sold.

The risk here is that I collect the $18 while the shares drop to 800 (instead of selling around $900) and then the next cc is around the 850 strike. Followed by the shares continuing down and come March I find myself needing to sell these shares for $500 instead of the $900 I could have gotten for them today (numbers made up to illustrate the point).

Reactions: UltradoomY

I have similar strike BPS for 2/4, half of which I want to roll way out simply to gain some sanity and sleep better. My not advice is to look more toward May20 expirations than April, since we'll have gotten 1Q earnings incorporated by then.

The threat here is continued shenanigans and somehow still dealing with max loss in April. Having an expiration beyond 1Q earnings is a big shield against that IMO, the spread price is likely the same, and it's only an extra month of holding margin.

1Q21 earnings were $438M
1Q22 earnings will be 6 or 7 times that

Reactions: WattsHappening
I have similar strike BPS for 2/4, half of which I want to roll way out simply to gain some sanity and sleep better. My not advice is to look more toward May20 expirations than April, since we'll have gotten 1Q earnings incorporated by then.

The threat here is continued shenanigans and somehow still dealing with max loss in April. Having an expiration beyond 1Q earnings is a big shield against that IMO, the spread price is likely the same, and it's only an extra month of holding margin.

1Q21 earnings were $438M
1Q22 earnings will be 6 or 7 times that

That's how I got here.

Thinking market reaction to Q1 earnings HAD to be great.

Not so much :)

April was after P&D but before ER-- which it turns out was the local peak here in January too.

That said- are you finding any actually worthwhile rolls for either month at these strikes?

I haven't so far.

For example rolling -1025/+915 2/4 to May 20 at -1025/+910 is $25 a share net debit (and $5/share added to max loss) or making the long leg +920 is $32/sh debit but $5/sh less max loss.

Last edited:
I bit regarding my "lets insure this"-BearPS and the experimental "the whales did what?"-trade:

Opened the Apr 15 825/Feb 04 895 Diagonal Put spread @43 and just closed it @49 .. That is 14% RoiC and i don't even have to wait until friday and increase the risk of the 895 to go ITM or the long put to go further against me.
Experiment success - but only because we did not move much the last 2 days. Stil interesting, but too much margin (~4k) for my taste - even if it was a "safe" play with profit >880 & <950 & less risk than a direct short straddle.

now to the "lets insure this"-BearPS:
bought 20x 910/880 BearPS @ ~10 yesterday 2 minutes before close. Closed them almost instantly at open today after i saw it was not being pushed down @17. 14k in the bank on the "insurance" ;)
other account:
bought 20x 900/880 BearPS @ ~6 and solde today @10. another 8k in the bank.

Mostly those insurances were for positions expiring friday which i rolled today or closed at a loss as we will surely not rebound this week anymore.

I am still thinking of opening new insurance (expiring tomorrow) today - but i guess theta will be extreme & as i rolled my bad positions i can also sit things out through monday.

Tesla is currently sitting at ±0 and in sum everything is up 30k or so - even though theta is still widdling things away wiith -6k/day. Good day today. At least one of the few.

Since it is a smaller fraction, you could always monetize the long 915 put, and use that cash to roll that 1025 put down and out, assuming you can do margin secured put. If that is too much in margin or you want to hold on to some margin room, you could also probably roll them into half the size 1100 puts for post Q1 earnings or something, and "warehouse" that position.

Since it is a smaller fraction, you could always monetize the long 915 put, and use that cash to roll that 1025 put down and out, assuming you can do margin secured put. If that is too much in margin or you want to hold on to some margin room, you could also probably roll them into half the size 1100 puts for post Q1 earnings or something, and "warehouse" that position.

I can do margin secured puts....But one $1100 put eats $110,000 in margin, versus the $11,000 currently in use on the $110 wide spread.

So just picking a round number say there's 10 spreads right now.... if one was aiming for 5 non-spread $1100 puts at the end that'd require $550,000 in margin or cash backing.

Selling all 10 long puts only raises 25k. Rolling the -1025s to May 1100s raises another 62.5k. Releasing the spread margin gets you 110k.

That's only 197.5k out of the 550k needed for backing the 5 $1100s.

(If I've messed up the math somehow and it's far more doable than this looks please let me know)

Opened the Apr 15 825/Feb 04 895 Diagonal Put spread @43 and just closed it @49 .. That is 14% RoiC and i don't even have to wait until friday and increase the risk of the 895 to go ITM or the long put to go further against me.
Experiment success - but only because we did not move much the last 2 days. Stil interesting, but too much margin (~4k) for my taste - even if it was a "safe" play with profit >880 & <950 & less risk than a direct short straddle.
Margin Impact using the IB performance profile seems to be about 12K(broker/account type dependent perhaps) with a 62% profitability but a very interesting trade in today’s market. See below.

E0CE791E-2285-4C4D-AC3F-E9F9CE43723C.jpeg

Sold a few -c1000 for 2/11. These are covered by shares, I don't want to sell those shares but I can live without them.. Plan is to roll these at least a few times if needed.

This brought some cash and freed some margin. I'm on ibkr risk-based margin, so calculations are kind of complicated..

I used freed margin to sell some of the long legs of my BPS, converting them to naked puts. Now I have -p1100 puts for 2/11, these are itm of course, but easy to roll. Only a couple of spreads left, and those are -1110/+730, so $380 wide.

So for now, I'm aiming to deleverage.

Well, I don't know yet if I did a good or bad thing. I was siting on 1150/850s and 1100/800 spreads for December. I decided to sell to close the 850s and 800s in order to buy to close the 1100s with a reasonable debit. Now I'm just sitting on 1150 naked Puts for December. The nice thing is that I can roll those for a nice profit end of November for the following year if I have to, where as if I still had the spread and we are below 1150, rolling the long leg too would have killed my profits. Looking forward to selling shares next year so I have a pile of cash to back trades instead of worrying about Margin calls that force me to take massive losses at the worst time.

Last edited: