Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
weekend puzzler and challenge to the geniuses...

so i bought shares @820 and STO 7/29 CC 820 ATM, credit 25; ok to be assigned

instead of buying shares, why couldn't i just buy a synthetic long?
  • sell -p820, buy +c820, credit 2.77 (this mimics buying stock using less capital and getting paid to "buy stock")
  • wait for higher peak and sell -c820, credit 25 for example (this is the cc)
  • net 27.77 instead of 25
  • if the 2 legs of the synthetic are timed on dip/peak, there is even more credit than just 2.77
  • if expiry >820, all 3 contracts expire
  • if expiry <820, buy stock 820 as usual
does anyone else do this? what did i miss? TIA! the one thing i can think of is that the broker will cancel both +c820 and -c820 because they offset each other out and in that case, i am left with a simple -p820 (and net credit from the removed c legs became cash)... this is still more income than just selling -p820 alone

note: i can prevent the broker from cancelling the c legs by selling 830cc instead of 820cc
In term of theta & delta they are vastly different. Lets say both the 820p and 820c have 0.5 delta and the same theta n.

buy write 820 = sell 820p. delta = 0.5, theta = n
synthetic long = buy 100s. delta = 1, theta = 0

Also, at exactly 820, your 820 synthetic long should not pay you much higher than a dime or 2. $2.77 is unrealistic. Most of the time you will pay a small spread to the dealer for a synthetic long initiated at the exact strike price.

Synthetic long is no different from buying stock outright. Although you dont have to shell out anything initially, the broker still holds $82k for collateral. Try not to think in term of cash balance but in term of delta, theta, and maintenance margin requirement. In term of maintenance margin requirement, synthetic long and long are identical.

all other alternatives involve market timing of some sort. if you can reliably wait for “the peak”, your money printer can rival the Fed. 🤣

Last edited:
someone made an earnings play bet $7175 to win ~$75000

does anyone know the official name of this 2-leg strategy?

edit: the expiry dates are different

TIA!

1658667846257.png

Last edited:
someone made an earnings play bet $7175 to win ~$75000

does anyone know the official name of this 2-leg strategy?

edit: the expiry dates are different

TIA!

View attachment 832216
yeah, it's not really a $7175 bet. That might be the debit paid, but if tsla had dropped below 750, he'd be on the hook to buy 500 shares at 750..
So in fact he's risking $375k.

i'm waiting for the fed on wednesday to make some plays..

currently just a bit smooth sailing with portfolio-theta about 0 for maximum upside exposure, but some CC that will print if the fed raises interest rates by 1% instead of 0.75% that the market expects.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ