Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gutsy. What’s the plan if we hang out in the 180-190s for longer? I would be afraid there wouldn’t be week by week level rolls available, only increasing strike or paying to roll even/down or rolling out farther in time and waiting to catch up.

Plan? What's a plan?!?!

It's a single BPS gamble. As you've noted, the only viable rolls are to go out further in time and widen the spread.

First time I've tried to map out wave 1 using fib channel like this. Let's see how it pans out. 220 by Friday and then large pullback to at least 198.5 before taking off again. This all hinges on Elon announcing he's done tonight. However, I really like the way it chops.
1668447609157.png

First time I've tried to map out wave 1 using fib channel like this. Let's see how it pans out. 220 by Friday and then large pullback to at least 198.5 before taking off again. This all hinges on Elon announcing he's done tonight. However, I really like the way it chops.
View attachment 874507

That is a beautiful looking chart. Thank you for posting it here.

I think the rest of the week is very dependent on Elon providing any clarification. Where it gets interesting for me is if there are form 4s logged today AND we continue to get radio silence from Elon. We had a morning dip on Friday and today so my assumption is he was selling today too. Elon is probably getting pissed off with all the "hate" from shareholders about his sales so wouldn't shock me if he maintains radio silence.

Just look at the run NFLX had in the past few days. I'm hoping TSLA is next. The range is getting tighter and tighter so hoping the break is to the upside.

No major trades for me today, just some minor scalps from selling and closing calls.

Another thing to consider for tomorrow is the weekly insurance data for Tesla China which usually tends to correlate well to the actual sales for that week. It would help if that number is good.

Last edited:
The aggressive call buying on Friday is slowly reversing today. Market ran up so aggressively last Friday that it didn't leave much room for a gap up / gap and trap today. Instead, everything just opened red. However, we still saw TSLA trying to fill the opening gap but only got so far as 194. The overall market still wants to go up and TSLA still wants 200 but it will be a bit of back and forth before we see that level. Judging by the structure, I'd say the top of wave 1 remains @ 207-215. To break out, though, we're going to need Elon to announce he's done selling, me think. I wouldn't be surprise to see calls building up again EOD today for another try tomorrow morning.
I don't know if Elon is planning to tweet anything about sales anymore.

What would it get him? No one would believe him. And he would get abused in addition.

Early execution when Extrinsic value is above zero is almost always retail.
It would be illogical for a MM to do it.
In order for them to get their cash they need to deliever stock.

The fact that exercising puts gets you cash is why puts get ecxercised more often early than calls but it is most likely retail if the Extrinsic is still positive
I don't see what's the problem in MM selling you and delivering stock at $350 strike price, and turning around and buying stock in the open market at $190.
In the process they close long put position, and get their money back.
I don't see why would they finance anyone for free, when there is liquidity crunch.

TBH, I don't care to continue this discussion, anyone can choose the hypothesis they want to believe in...

I don't know if Elon is planning to tweet anything about sales anymore.

What would it get him? No one would believe him. And he would get abused in addition.
I think the same. Also, If we have form 4 tonight, do we expect to see him selling every single day with decreasing volume last week? Or just Wednesday, and nothing else. I guess I just dont know what is the good sign for the stock price if he keeps silent about selling TSLA.

I have a bunch of CC in the next few weeks, so a flat SP is good for now. I don't know what happened to the market during the last hour. Are people expecting PPI to be bad tomorrow morning and a gap down? I guess we'll know soon enough....
At this point it feels like 170s is more likely than 200s....
I'm expecting sideways trading and volatility until we have a clear path to moderate inflation and a top for interest rates. Until we see sustained improvement on that and China, I think we don't start heading higher. For the next 6 months, I may be a Tesla trader - selling on strength (which we've yet to see) and buying on new 52 week lows. I have a 170/150 BPS expiring this week and I'm not putting on CC's until we get some form of proper run higher (e.g. quick march to $210-220).

• Informative
Reactions: cbh03
TSLA trapped ~195 since Nov 8, but lows are rising

approx this Wed noon is the triangle edge

View attachment 874647
That looks like a rising wedge to me, which is a bearish technical pattern. The expectation would be a quick drop from $196 to $188 near the apex of the wedge.

A 4% drop is like nbd for TSLA.. just something to look out for

Last edited:
It's just a joke. It's not that funny apparently. It just means you don't need to justify a bet as long as you call it a gamble. 😁
In that spirit, I have to admit that I bought two fists full of stupid YOLO calls: 11/18 +c230s.:eek: ALA @TheTalkingMule. Only paid $0.14, so easy pissing away money. Interestingly, the limit order, which hit near close, didn’t hit in the AM even at much lower SP (must have been a higher IV). Anyway, this is just a gamble, or maybe protection if there’s a relief rally post-Elon sales. In reality, it’s just more evidence for how messed up my trades are right now.

Summary:
11/18: -p190/-p197.50 -c195/-c200 +c230
11/25: -p/-c192.50
12/09: -c185:eek: -p/-c200
12/16: -p/-c200, -p/-c210

Really hoping to clear up a few this week because things are getting too complicated to keep in my head. The only selling today was a single 11/18 -c195 at $5.00, which is just a manifestation of last week’s +c190 that exercised. It’s been a great “B/W” (maybe Wheel) series so far. Got net $3 on initial put, net $3 on call, then raised strike $5 and got another $5 on the CC. If I “lose” the shares on Friday, I’m up $16 on B/W and then sell 11/25 -p195, otherwise I’ll roll to 11/25 -c200 for another $5.

Really really really must believe in the company and mission. It’s been a horrible two months, though easy selling CCs, rolling CSPs down each week, and buying more shares. I just hope that I don’t get steamrolled as the SP rockets back (which is looking more likely with the last three days of higher lows). Unfortunately, don’t have enough free cash in my accounts to roll the CSPs higher, so might fall off the wheel if the SP moves too fast ($20/wk). Definitely will lose that 12/09 -c185 (don’t remember where THAT stupid mistake came from🤷‍♂️). Watch out and GLTA.

Attachments

• 3B9FC33F-A9C4-4A8D-9C53-8E19226523C4.jpeg
    3B9FC33F-A9C4-4A8D-9C53-8E19226523C4.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 30
No form 4s so Elon was not selling on Wednesday when we dropped 7% on huge volume.

Makes me wonder if they had big plans to take TSLA lower and CPI put a dent in their plans. I have to imagine they are not going to give up and look for any weakness to pull the stock lower.

BTW I like Elon’s radio silence on this topic, I hope he keeps it that way.

Added 175/155 BPS (and a smaller 180/160 position) for this Friday for around $1. Had a nearly 1.20 open available, held out for it, and ended up with the .96 actual. This is a big reason why, for me, I tend to take market orders on single legs, or about 25% of the bid/ask on spreads, so that a decision to enter a position actually yields a position. Rarely do I make the entry decision, look for a really desirable fill, and then improve the actual position I get by anything like how badly I worsen the positions at other times (such as today). Should have taken the 1.15 when I had it, and I knew it :D

Combined with the 200 cc's, I've got the current share price pretty evenly strangled.

No form 4s so Elon was not selling on Wednesday when we dropped 7% on huge volume.

Makes me wonder if they had big plans to take TSLA lower and CPI put a dent in their plans. I have to imagine they are not going to give up and look for any weakness to pull the stock lower.

BTW I like Elon’s radio silence on this topic, I hope he keeps it that way.
Or they knew CPI was good and took us down one day before just to be sure.

I have a bunch of CC in the next few weeks, so a flat SP is good for now. I don't know what happened to the market during the last hour. Are people expecting PPI to be bad tomorrow morning and a gap down? I guess we'll know soon enough....
At this point it feels like 170s is more likely than 200s....
PPI was good...for the stock market...and hopefully will get Chair Powells attention.

I think we will be testing @dl003 wave 1 limit ($230 I believe) at some point in the near future.