Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another positive gamma exposure day, 115p and 120c have the most interest, slightly more to the upside. Speaking of hedging, I still have the Sep '24 290 CSP that has very little time value left, will get ugly should we slide down to the low hundreds. I have to make a move tomorrow to avoid having shares put to me which would then trigger a wash sale invalidating a tax loss for 2022. I didn't move on it anticipating we were near bottom and that I could ride this out to February 2nd or 30 days out... thereafter I'd not care if shares are put to me at a high cost basis. I'm not feeling it... GLTA.

View attachment 894375 View attachment 894376

You are making me think of the 25 assigned puts I had on me December 28th the same day I sold my TSLA to realize a loss for tax purposes. I could not sell them because they only showed in my account December 29th. Hope they don’t count as a wash sale rule because if I can’t declare the 2.3M loss on my 2022 taxes then I am officially Bankrupt! At least I know my wife is not going out with me for my money since we’ve been going out together since highschool when we were 16. But at that point I realize I might have been richer than I might be in 2023, at least I was debt free.

You are making me think of the 25 assigned puts I had on me December 28th the same day I sold my TSLA to realize a loss for tax purposes. I could not sell them because they only showed in my account December 29th. Hope they don’t count as a wash sale rule because if I can’t declare the 2.3M loss on my 2022 taxes then I am officially Bankrupt!
I've similar issue. I rolled a put with a lot of loss in my investment account and near that date got assigned some puts in the IRA. Fidelity shows it as a "wash sale" ...

I've similar issue. I rolled a put with a lot of loss in my investment account and near that date got assigned some puts in the IRA. Fidelity shows it as a "wash sale" ...
You are making me think of the 25 assigned puts I had on me December 28th the same day I sold my TSLA to realize a loss for tax purposes. I could not sell them because they only showed in my account December 29th. Hope they don’t count as a wash sale rule because if I can’t declare the 2.3M loss on my 2022 taxes then I am officially Bankrupt! At least I know my wife is not going out with me for my money since we’ve been going out together since highschool when we were 16. But at that point I realize I might have been richer than I might be in 2023, at least I was debt free.
I was margin called, sold value shares to fill that obligation but then sold high cost basis TSLA to close out underwater BPS that I had no way to back. Lost twice in that instance. The shares sold were shares I earned through the splits and some as buy writes that I quit selling cc against and some put to me, pricey. So, although down 70% for 2022, still have the initial capital invested. I survived, justified it by being able to use those high cost basis share sales to flip from capital gain to loss. I feel good, not, but I do. The resulting tax loss is what I am now trying to protect.

872B2752-1C2D-4212-890C-AEBAEE628179.jpeg
AF95015A-D1A8-4003-8418-EB73F10B12DE.jpeg

This is a decent sign that at least the selling momentum has abated.. for now at least.

Do I sound too bullish? 🥴
Yes this is correct. The data you can get from this:

1. Sell side momentum has slowed or stopped
2. Some covering has been done.
3. We have stabilized for now and should trade back at our normal 2X Beta (As long as we have no specific news).

There is no sign here to tell us that a bull run could start.

You can also maybe extrapolate that if we lose upward momentum here. That was the "Bounce" and that if the long side takes profit we'll give some of this back.

Volume while still high is drying up today. Yes we can still make new lows, but think about this: the people buying today are getting the deal of a lifetime. They wont easily let these shares go. Every share traded at this level is going to a strong hand. Every share traded therefore will reduce the risk of further selling pressure. As volume dries up, we know that the market is running out of sellers of TSLA and that is a sign to behold. When there are no more sellers its literally impossible for the stock to make new lows.
2D506DA3-5AA2-464F-841E-DB34E4B8B2EB.png

Feels like we’re finding a bottom even though it’s hard to have any confidence at this point. But a broken calendar has to be right once a year, right?

May we break 125 today and end up breaking the downward channel.

I rolled my calls too fast Monday I could have had a better strike price for the roll if I waited. Oh well, still happy I had to roll them.

Last edited:
Yesterday there were 30k -p100 for this week, today 34k, so they increased...

I closed out the -p110's I sold yesterday, sold 4x -115 straddle and 30x -c130 for next week, slightly too soon it seems, but there you go

Still have 52 -c130 in play for this week, I'm thinking they might expire, but a lot will depend on CPI, worst case it's an up-and-out roll, although strongly thinking to sell some shares for cash and de-risk a little bit

Last edited:
Lets just say I end up losing 600 shares from panic selling at the bottom. Now with 4000 shares in my account, about how long might it take to increase the 4000 shares to 4600 shares, being careful and conservative? And taking into consideration that I study Free Options Trading Courses | Option Alpha and follow this thread and don't bug you guys too much.

No offense but if you study the courses you will get your answers. I'm not trying to be a dick or whatever just saying options trading is not for everybody and has a lot of risks.