Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senator asks Tesla to disable AP until they fix "anti-nag" tricks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sen. Markey sent a letter to Tesla asking them to disable AP until they fix the anti nag tricks. You can watch it here:

Tesla is under pressure by Senator over Autopilot claims and nag defeat tricks - Electrek

I definitely think he has a point about the anti-nag tricks being bad and dangerous. I believe the autopilot buddy device is already illegal.

Ideally, Tesla should use a camera based driver monitoring system but unfortunately, that is not going to happen any time soon plus it could not be retrofitted into existing cars.

So what can Tesla do to solve this problem? Is there a software fix? Could Tesla modulate the torque requirement slightly so that a constant torque would not work anymore?
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

These YouTube gimmicks are a hoax regarding Tesla's Autopilot, anyone making suggestions to make changes to my Autopilot, needs to drive with autopilot to findout for themselves that waterbottles, oranges or anything else does not work. The idiotic senator, needs to do his homework before mouthing off! FYI...don't mess with my Autopilot!!! lol ;)

Reactions: cucubits
I called the Senators office. I asked his staffers if the Senator has ever been in or driven a Tesla. After 5 minutes they said he had not. I politely asked the following question:

If I get into my Subaru and decide to buckle the seatbelt before I get in so I don't have to hear the chime of the seatbelt ring telling me to buckle up. Should Subaru do something more to protect me? I mean I have deliberately avoided a safety measure that could save my life.

Not exactly sure this is a Tesla problem. Maybe it is up to people that read exactly what it says in the car multiple times and follow it. So what your saying @diplomat33 you would like more nags not less? So I have to be glued at a 10 and 2 position and stare straight forward. Not every Electrek article needs a solution, and why is a camera in the cabin monitoring me a ideal solution in your mind?

your seatbelt protects -you-
paying attention to the road protects you, -and- other people

A lot of the no nag ability to detect is very spotty. I have had Tesla's including other cars not detecting my hands on the wheel because I'm following the turns and not putting resistance on the wheel. Most nag require you to learn how to have the system want to detect your hands on the wheel. Not having your hands on the wheel. I find this pretty frustrating when I go from car to car.. I do realize this is really new so everyone is still developing.

Oh come on.

* Guns don't indiscriminately go out and kill people, and a lot of deaths are due to suicides. Firearms are used multiples more to save lives than used to take lives. There are no safeguards that can be used to prevent a nut job who wants to kill themselves, or others. Then you have that pesky 2A which guarantees the right to firearms ownership.

* I presume that you're talking about the 737 MAX and the MCAS that's gotten the bad rap? Not a death here in the US due to different standards of hiring and pilot training, not to mention the "company" purchasing a second AOA sensor along with a "disagree" light. In addition, the Lion Air incident started with a prior flight crew encounter a problem, and a dead legging pilot aboard showing the flight crew how to respond - which that same dead legging pilot was not on the subsequent flight which did crash. Not to mention flight certification is a very draconian beast, requiring not only reams of paperwork, but 40 hours of self-test before the FAA will allow the plane to be certified as even experimental. Now try to get a Part 91 or even Part 135 certification, you're talking a whole different slew of minimum equipment and TSO's.

Anyhow ... Tesla gives a feature to users which actually can be used to increase safety. Disabling a safety feature because some people want even more convenience is silly. Seat belts chime, you don't wear them. You have to have 10 oz of weight on the steering, so people want to disable the entire thing? How is that going to increase safety when you get back to accidents in traffic, increase in accidents after daylights savings, and sleepy drivers?

Wow! It has been a while since I've seen a more rambling, poorly thought out, awkward post. I know you think you have made unarguable points, but really you have barely said anything at all.

Reactions: bhzmark
Sen. Markey sent a letter to Tesla asking them to disable AP until they fix the anti nag tricks. You can watch it here:

Tesla is under pressure by Senator over Autopilot claims and nag defeat tricks - Electrek

I definitely think he has a point about the anti-nag tricks being bad and dangerous. I believe the autopilot buddy device is already illegal.

Ideally, Tesla should use a camera based driver monitoring system but unfortunately, that is not going to happen any time soon plus it could not be retrofitted into existing cars.

So what can Tesla do to solve this problem? Is there a software fix? Could Tesla modulate the torque requirement slightly so that a constant torque would not work anymore?

Instead of disabling auto pilot in Teslas, why not disable YouTube?

Instead of disabling auto pilot in Teslas, why not disable YouTube?
I just wish there was a real way to get the personal information back to those "youtubers" insurance companies and have their insurance dropped or increased 10X. Anyone can act stupid in any car but for whatever reason if Tesla is mentioned at all it garners a weird increased amount of attention.

If the Senator genuinely cares about safety, he should require all automakers to install devices to prevent texting as well as dialing or receiving phone calls while driving. I fear the Senator is merely seeking publicity by singling out Tesla. Statistics show far more accidents from texting than from misuse of AP.

Of course he is seeking publicity. But the real lesson here is that the car has many, many issues that will attract exactly this sort of attention. Be careful that no one tells him about the Summon feature. That would blow his mind.

I used to geocache which is looking for hidden containers using a GPS device. There was a geocache hidden in a cemetery, which was removed on request and some state legislator started mouthing off about banning such geocaches! One incident and the guy wants to make a law banning it. Clearly this was his way of creating a straw man to attack and appear to be doing something. This is pretty much the same, except it is about an issue that legislators can get public support if a big enough issue is made of it. There is already a law suit over an autopilot crash that is making headlines. Expect to see more of the same.

Unless the human is intentionally moving the wheel, yeah, it does. It exerts the arm's weight in a downward direction from a single point where the arm is gripping.

That would work well for a mannequin perhaps, but humans don't hold themselves in a constant position for long. It is tiring on the muscles since at any given position only a few muscles are taking the brunt of the forces. Even in out sleep we move around to promote circulation.

That said, I often rest a hand at 12 o'clock with the other hand not on the wheel. It may not be the optimal position, but that's the way I drive my truck too. It has been safe enough for 40+ years. In this position I often get nags and the arm blocks the view of the instrument cluster so I don't see the tiny white sign pop up to nag me or even the only slightly more visible white border at the top. The alarm does get my attention which you only get three of before it locks you out.

I think it is irresponsible for Tesla to disclose any info publicly about accidents without the driver's permission, but they seem to do that often announcing "the drivers hands were not detected on the wheel for x seconds before the crash" or similar. Very inappropriate.

I just wish it had real hands on wheel detection. I drive right hand at 12. I’m so used to driving that I automatically turn with the autopilot, not tug against it. The nag rarely detects my hand.

After a year, I still am not 100% perfect at the tug pressure to let the dumb nag know my hand is and always was on the wheel.

The jerk as the autopilot is disabled at a slightly too hard tug to remind autopilot that my hand is there is dangerously jarring. The flashing blue on the screen takes my eyes off the road.

Capacitive touch and or pressure sensing in the steering wheel would be great.

The only thing a cabin facing nanny cam is good for is getting covered with black gaffers tape. if the senator wants invasive video, how about he puts a web cam up in his office so we can see all the other stupid ways he wastes taxpayers money?

There are a huge number of things happening in a Tesla that are a distraction to driving. Yet another reason why I say they are not smart cars, but rather cell phones with wheels.

If Tesla doesn't take action proactively to minimize the many, many events distracting a driver, the government will, at some point, step in and do it for them.

This thread is about a law maker getting worked up over nag defeats. The operation of navigate on autopilot is a much more dangerous thing. While they claim it is "beta" and so requires the oversight of the user, that oversight means less attention to the road.

Happily, the U.S. government is ineffective here. It has to have proof of its claims which often takes years to collect. With Tesla changing its software frequently, the government will never have the proof it needs.

Actually they don't. It would be a simple matter to require the auto makers to prove their products safe before allowing the products on the road. Many industries are already that way.

Even if there were an investigation into a current product, improving the product to no longer have that flaw does not relieve a manufacturer from responsibility for the product being investigated. The government often orders recalls or manufacturers are frequently found liable in courts.

Having met government standards is one of the primary defenses in such matters.

That would work well for a mannequin perhaps, but humans don't hold themselves in a constant position for long. It is tiring on the muscles since at any given position only a few muscles are taking the brunt of the forces. Even in out sleep we move around to promote circulation.

Every time you hit a bump, even a dead weight adds or removes torque, though. How often does an average person make involuntary motions at a time that is far enough removed from a bump temporally to definitively say that it wasn’t just caused by momentum? I bet it is way less often than once every twenty seconds. That’s the problem with detecting by torque alone.

Every time you hit a bump, even a dead weight adds or removes torque, though. How often does an average person make involuntary motions at a time that is far enough removed from a bump temporally to definitively say that it wasn’t just caused by momentum? I bet it is way less often than once every twenty seconds. That’s the problem with detecting by torque alone.
You use the accelerometers in the car to correct for torque due to bumps. I bet bumps would actually make detection easier, a human arm probably responds much differently to bumps than a dead weight. The defeat device detection could take place over a long time period and then put the user in autopilot jail.
Ultimately I'm not sure if such system would actually reduce accidents much. It's easy to keep a hand on the wheel while not watching the road.

You use the accelerometers in the car to correct for torque due to bumps. I bet bumps would actually make detection easier, a human arm probably responds much differently to bumps than a dead weight.

Why would it respond differently? It is effectively just a mass attached at an attachment point. Yes, there's some amount of elasticity that varies according to how much the person tenses up, but the details are person-dependent, so I can't see any reason you couldn't some up with something that would have a plausible amount of elasticity, and the harder you try to build software to detect such a defeat device, the more real people will get nagged for no reason, which drives down adoption and use of autopilot, which reduces safety far more than any (mostly theoretical) gains from preventing people from driving with hands off while paying attention.

This Senator, Jim Chanos, and others have HUGE investments in petroleum at all levels, and they are no longer acting for the public good but rather in the spirit self interest and greed. That should be obvious from the ferocity and stupidity of their claims and threats.