Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensitive Auto Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while ago I noticed that the auto headlights are extremely sensitive and turn on as I'm driving during the day. They can remain on for a couple of minutes. I don't have to drive through a tunnel or shade for them to turn on. Tesla troubleshot it by covering the sensor on the windshield to gatherer data and ultimately said it might just be a safety thing. Is it just me? What's your experience with the auto lights?

I agree. My headlights are frequently on at times that mystify me. I.e. not just after pulling out of the garage or during stormy weather. I'm not really sure why. But it also doesn't bother me much. C'est la vie.

Strike that. Appears to be a light sensor above the front cameras.
hmm... so if I tape a neutral density filter over that... what else relies on that sensor? I suppose I want to go in the opposite direction though... somehow alter the adjustment of that sensor to make it think it is brighter than it is...

Do you know if its CdS or a light sensitive diode? If it is CdS, just putting a resistor in parallel might work.

Just came back from a trip to the mountains, pitch black at night, auto hi beams never activated? Had to turn them on manually. ☹️
I have mine set to AUTO, but I also have to re-enable them (push forward on the stalk) fairly often. I don't know why this is. I'll do that and it will remember that setting for a few days, and then I'll notice that the grayed out "A" light-bulb is no longer there, so I'll have to re-enable them. It's not a huge deal, but I don't understand why they can't get that setting to "stick".

Add me to the list of people that are seeing the auto headlights being WAY too sensitive. I am hoping a future software update is able to address/tweak the sensitivity as it is pretty far out of line with most cars I have driven in the last 20 years with this feature. I agree better to have it turn on too much, than too little ... but I think they could do a bit better here. At least I know it isn't something specific to my 2021 Model 3!

Reactions: Big Earl
I don't mind if the headlights are on more than they need to be, but I do mind when the auto high beams keep getting fooled by mailboxes, road side markers, etc. It is not unusual for the high beams to be turned off and on multiple times even when there is no other cars on the road.

A while ago I noticed that the auto headlights are extremely sensitive and turn on as I'm driving during the day. They can remain on for a couple of minutes. I don't have to drive through a tunnel or shade for them to turn on. Tesla troubleshot it by covering the sensor on the windshield to gatherer data and ultimately said it might just be a safety thing. Is it just me? What's your experience with the auto lights?
It's sensitive. It turns on when going under some trees when it's full brightness outside.