Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode/Dashcam Best Storage Method

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think they were recommended because they worked for the duration of the test not because they will last a couple of years in all temperatures.

tbh, they should be viewed as a consumable. Not environmentally great, but just expect them to fail from time to time and hope you didn't miss anything important.

We are coming up to the anniversary of the first Model 3 deliveries and longer for when Model S&X supported TeslaCam. It would be interesting to know how peoples media has faired over that time. Certainly well within the expected failure window of some media and usage patterns.

There really is no need to use an SSD, just go with what the manual says. I've been using this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FD878SJ for 8 months with no issues. More than enough storage, only £25 and neater than other solutions.
bear in mind this is Tesla who actually built chips into their early models that were never going to have the endurance required for the amount of writes they were performing and consequently failed a few years later leading to whole new motherboards being required. So they don't have a good track record on this stuff
It is a fact that flash storage is built to a specification that means it can only sustain a certain number of write operations in its life before it fails. The use case in a Tesla is very write intensive and any sort of flash storage will fail eventually. a large SSD or an endurance SD will last the longest based on current technology. Even a cheap USB will work fine for a while but statistically it will fail and will fail before those other options. if you are fine with that or plan to replace it regularly before it fails then that is fine but there is really is no good reason for anyone to recommend a £25 USB drive as the prefered option even if it says it in the manual.

So.......I’m confused slightly

Go with what Tesla recommends or not???

If what they recommend ya been tested, I’m assuming the testing has been extensive?
If the drive will only last a year or 2 and it’s 20 odd quid to replace, I can live with that I suppose.

So.......I’m confused slightly

Go with what Tesla recommends or not???

If what they recommend ya been tested, I’m assuming the testing has been extensive?
If the drive will only last a year or 2 and it’s 20 odd quid to replace, I can live with that I suppose.
Not. A USB drive is the worst choice whatever Tesla says. There is no good reason to chose one over an endurance SD card.
Tesla barely test their cars or their software so I doubt the did extensive testing on the best media for sentry mode. fortunately for you the community did and SSD or endurance SD is overwhelmingly what they recommend for sound engineering reasons. They last much longer in this very write intensive application.
The USB drive someone recommended above is waterproof, shockproof, magnetism proof, xray proof, heat proof to 85 degrees and looks nice. All of which are of zero benefit for sentry monde storage The endurance is not even specified.
for the same price you can get an endurance SD card+ card reader which statistically will last a lot longer for this application.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I'm a novice these days with IT, can this drive be formatted in the Tesla, does it come with necessary wires, and is it a simple "plug and play" solution?
I can't format in the car but i think that's the same with all SSD unless it's because i formatted it on my MAC. You just install the drive into the casing, pretty straight forward, the usb cable is included

Reactions: JupiterMan
In theory you should be able to format in the car. Mine has a partition so prob why it’s greyed out.

FA68C533-7EF4-46C7-909D-F9432D2B43B3.jpeg
3D4DDA2F-8C7F-4CA6-BC97-3E15D5434119.jpeg

Jason71 clearly has shares in some SSD or SD card manufacturer :)

If people want to spend 3 or 4 times the amount for a solution that might prove better in the long term the one the manual recommends and is proven in use at a price that makes it disposable then who am I to argue. Hope someone finds my recommendation useful.

Reactions: bhav