Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - Depressing how many people open doors into the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah agreed....its incredibly frustrating. I stop bothering to check anymore unless I see visible damage/marks...

Even then...I've watched the video and ultimately got it done myself because its not worth the aggro/rise in premiums.

Obviously not a lot you can do about it, but seeing on Sentry mode the number of times I park somewhere and someone just bumps their door into mine is annoying. I guess before I didn't realise how often it happens.
Parking place dimensions need to be updated : Austin 7 (Ruby) 4'3". Model T
5'6" Range Rover 6'10". Model Y 6'6".
Then there are the doors to be opened😱
Who has not witnessed the horror of an SUV door pushed open without due care and attention.
On a positive note, if inflation continues on its current trajectory, my supermarket parking paranoia will be overshadowed by
my fraught anticipation of the price of smoked salmon/haddock (undyed).

Obviously not a lot you can do about it, but seeing on Sentry mode the number of times I park somewhere and someone just bumps their door into mine is annoying. I guess before I didn't realise how often it happens.
There are a lot of things you can do.
  • At home, park in your garage... Well, clean it out.
  • At work, scope out a good spot and always park there. There is a 30" concrete column between me and the next car.
  • Park further out. I'm looking for 10,000 steps a day anyway.
  • Park next to a handicap spot or handicap walkway. You get a 6 foot buffer.
  • In parking lots, park on an end spot against a curb. Crowd the curb leaving a lot of room on the other side of your car.
  • When you must park next to someone park on their passenger side of the car. Most cars only have one person.
  • Don't park next to large SUV's, trucks or junkers in general.
  • Park next to a 4 door car, 2 door cars have much longer doors.
  • Never park near were people return their shopping cart, or downhill from the shopping cart return area.
I've done this all my life, even when I was driving a 7 year old car.

At the moment I've got my own driveway at home and at work, there are 15 or so EV charging bays, with only about 3 EV's on the entire estate. So I always park in one of those as they are wider.

Outside of that I really can't be bothered to put that much thought into it. I don't go shopping all that often but when I do, I want to get in and out as quickly as possible so I just grab the best space I can spot at the time. Although I will tend to put their drivers door on the opposite side of me if at all possible in the hopes they are a single occupant.

To be fair, had the car well over 2 years now and there's a couple slight scratches/chips that could be easily taken care of but no dings at least. Which is a huge improvement on my previous cars.

Some people are definitely more aware of Tesla's recording down the sides. I've even noticed the flashing (now pulsing) headlights catching somebodies attention as they open their door and slowing down considerably in their movements.

Incredibly frustrating. I park at the furthest extent of the parking lot always against a curb and away from other cars and walk. Spoiler alert: Never fails when I return to my lone car out at the end of the parking lot someone has parked their beater right up next to it. There are no winners in this world.

There are a lot of things you can do.
  • At home, park in your garage... Well, clean it out.
  • At work, scope out a good spot and always park there. There is a 30" concrete column between me and the next car.
  • Park further out. I'm looking for 10,000 steps a day anyway.
  • Park next to a handicap spot or handicap walkway. You get a 6 foot buffer.
  • In parking lots, park on an end spot against a curb. Crowd the curb leaving a lot of room on the other side of your car.
  • When you must park next to someone park on their passenger side of the car. Most cars only have one person.
  • Don't park next to large SUV's, trucks or junkers in general.
  • Park next to a 4 door car, 2 door cars have much longer doors.
  • Never park near were people return their shopping cart, or downhill from the shopping cart return area.
I've done this all my life, even when I was driving a 7 year old car.

I do all these, 4 door cars provided no evidence of kids seats in the back though.

And when there is no choice I look for someone who is doing these things to park next to them 🤣

Reactions: Wattsisname
Some people are definitely more aware of Tesla's recording down the sides. I've even noticed the flashing (now pulsing) headlights catching somebodies attention as they open their door and slowing down considerably in their movements.
I parked next to another Tesla as the car park was packed and thought it would be the safest option.

Nope. Saw on the sentry recording he was more than happy to rest his car door against mine then take off his jumper in full view of the side camera before throwing it onto the passenger seat and getting in. Arse. No damage luckily.

If I park in an empty section of a car park I usually find someone comes and parks next to me like a sheep
At least sheep have soft sides. The only problem is with their hard little hooves if they should jump on the bonnet. That nearly happened to me a while ago when a shepherd was driving his sheep … a whole flock, past my car in a narrow road.

Reactions: Wattsisname