Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode for EAP equipped vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry mode ideas:

#1: Activates auto-record when motion is detected in any of the cameras?
#2: Can record from multiple cameras at once? (Watch someone enter the car from the outside camera, watch them going in the car with the interior camera.)
#3: Can automatically activate an alarm when suspicious activity is detected?

Regarding what would be deemed "suspicious activity" detected by the car:

#1: Someone peering in the back windows?
#2: Someone wearing a "hoodie" lingering near the vehicle?
#3: Flashlight shining through the windows?
#4: Sometime trying the door handles to see if they are unlocked? (Camera should activate any time that happens when the car is locked.)
#5: Any time a loud noise is detected? (which could include glass break, object impacting car, etc.)

Regarding what "alarm mode" could do:

#1: Honk the horn?
#2: Blink the lights?
#3: Play a warning message through the audio system?
#4: Notify the owner when the alarm is triggered? Tesla app alert? Phone call? Text message?
#5: Upload still images or video to some cloud server in case someone takes the flash drive from the car? (email you a short video clip?)

Reactions: follow.johnny
Why not do a Pre-Cogs or Pre-Crime mode, like in the Minority Report movie. Use some NN or fuzzy logic or whatever fancy names to detect the presence of a crook or the onset of an accident, and then route the report to 911. Someone then will be taken red-handed. Sorry, but I thought Chinese are already doing so.

Tesla needs to start training their Neural-Networks to do "hoodie or not hoodie" detection.

hoodie1.jpg
hoodie2.jpg
hoodie4.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Jivas
I used the technique in the video to use the 12V to charge my phone. It makes charging my phone a lot faster and frees up a usb slot for the dash cam.

Yeah, I did similar. I have dual 12V out cig adapter charging phone & also a small rechargeable flashlight.
In the front, I have one USB flash for Dashcam, and then a small USB hub with music flash & game controller...

Sentry mode ideas:

Regarding what would be deemed "suspicious activity" detected by the car:

#4: Sometime trying the door handles to see if they are unlocked? (Camera should activate any time that happens when the car is locked.)

MagnaVolt for the door handles? All you would need is a 12v/1mA DC jolt to wake someone up. Not enough to cause any physical harm. Wouldn't want to hurt any curious kids.

I wonder if this is before or after track mode is implemented for ALL performance vehicles.

Tesla seems to over promise and under driver constantly and consistently.

We can't even set a charging stop time yet and then Elon wonders why superchargers are overcrowded in San Diego.

But hey we have a fart app and everyone loves it. Meanwhile the right hand has no idea what the left is doing...

I'm sure everyone will be happy when their car plays fart noises while someone breaks into your car. Go ahead and disagree, let me feel your hate.

Last edited:
Big question is how much energy this will consume. The system isn't like a low power dash cam, it uses a lot more power when active. Also using it for things like "hoodie detection" is just going to waste more power.

But what exactly is it? 360 video for cars is patented and I doubt Tesla is willing to license it.

Tesla should challenge that patent, if that is a problem. Issuing a patent on using all cameras that are on a car right when cars are starting to actually have cameras is crazy. That's like issuing a patent on taking a photo with a camera on a phone. It's far too obvious to get patent protection.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Big question is how much energy this will consume. The system isn't like a low power dash cam, it uses a lot more power when active. Also using it for things like "hoodie detection" is just going to waste more power.

I'd imagine its going to use exactly as much power as it does. Should it impact an already maxed out battery use scenario, or perhaps the facility where the vehicle parks does not allow dash camera recordings then it would be turned off by the owner.

Reactions: M109Rider
Tesla should challenge that patent, if that is a problem. Issuing a patent on using all cameras that are on a car right when cars are starting to actually have cameras is crazy. That's like issuing a patent on taking a photo with a camera on a phone. It's far too obvious to get patent protection.

The patent will be on combining the images from those cameras into a single overhead view. Or in Audi's case some kind of 3D projection.

Yes, I understand what is being suggested. I still don't think it amounts to a novel application. I have 30+ issued patents and have been denied on a few others that were much more unique/ novel than this. I mean, multiple cameras are present on every car now. Looking at a combined image of all of them is not unique at all, in fact it is likely one of the most typical uses. If someone really has this fully locked up -- and I don't know for a fact anyone does --- it is very ripe for a challenge IMO.

Yes, I understand what is being suggested. I still don't think it amounts to a novel application. I have 30+ issued patents and have been denied on a few others that were much more unique/ novel than this. I mean, multiple cameras are present on every car now. Looking at a combined image of all of them is not unique at all, in fact it is likely one of the most typical uses. If someone really has this fully locked up -- and I don't know for a fact anyone does --- it is very ripe for a challenge IMO.

Yeah, it's common now... That's how patents work.

There is another explanation - the cameras that Tesla fits aren't suitable. For example the side ones in particular don't capture the road right up to the sides of the vehicle. If you look at the ones used for 360 views they are usually under the wing mirrors so that they can give you a good view of the area around the car.

The front facing ones are the same - the 360 ones are mounted at the front of the car, above the licence plate so they can see the road right up to the bumper. The ones Tesla uses are behind the windscreen so couldn't see that area, which of course is the area you want to see when parking.