Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - Right camera not recording?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on 2019.5.15 that enables Sentry mode, I tried it last night and all but the right camera seem to record. I see files on the USB from the right repeater but all the files from right cam is zero bytes. Autopilot appears to be working fine. Anyone having the same issue?

I got this version update yesterday and I didn't know that this update would enable side camera recording! I thought its 2019.8 ?
correct me if I am wrong.

You're wrong. :)

2019.5 enabled sentry mode with 3 camera recording (front and side repeaters). The dashcam function also has three cameras now as well. (it was possibly 2019.4 but very few people received that version.)

I am having similar issues with the right repeater. Some times it records ok, sometimes the bottom doesn't have a picture and sometimes it has nothing. Doesn't seem to be an issue while driving, just for sentry mode.

That describes exactly what I am seeing. I notified the Tesla Regional Tech Support rep. that I have been working with before my upcoming appointment and he notified me there are NO errors in my cars system. This may be a bug in the system if others are seeing the exact same behavior.

-Randy

I noticed the sentry mode screen didn’t pop up when I was walking around the right side of the car, it popped up as I approached the left side camera... I haven’t checked the feed yet to see if the right side footage wasn’t being recorded. I wonder if it’s a software bug though

I’m on 2019.5.15 that enables Sentry mode, I tried it last night and all but the right camera seem to record. I see files on the USB from the right repeater but all the files from right cam is zero bytes. Autopilot appears to be working fine. Anyone having the same issue?

What USB flashdrive are you using? I've seen some zero files in my folders on occasion. I have a left repeater issue. I started taking notes on my phone for exactly the time and what I was doing with the car to later compare to my files to see if I could pinpoint when the issues occured. like does turning off Sentry Mode affect the recording? Does opening the car door before completely awake? When files get recorded while using just TeslaCam while driving, if not mistaken, I think they get moved out of the buffer and instead appear as a SavedClip. Seem to recall seeing a time gap in the SavedRecent and explained it that way. Sometimes noticed zero file about that time.

Same issue here only with the right repeater. Front and left repeater are fine. The clips that do have some recording from the right repeater either have a large portion of the video showing as black or get VERY pixelated.
Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

I had the same problem with the right repeater video files. They are all 0 bytes long. The left repeater often had the lower half of the video corrupted. The front camera is fine. This is running 2019.8.5.
I deleted all of the video files on the thumb-drive, and put it back in the car. I'll see if it will continue happening.

With apologies for posting in Model 3 forum, my MS on 2019.8.5 has the same behavior. In my case front camera records well, right repeater usually records well but sometimes is severely pixelated on the lower third of the field. My left repeater manages to record 20 to 30% of the time, its remaining files are unreadable. No impact on AP. Sure seems like we are all experiencing the same issues. Hopefully Randy is right and this will be corrected in an upcoming update.

Same here also. I'd say only the front camera works reasonably well (image is always quite dark-ish).

Right repeater often has 0 byte files. Left repeater has much pixelation and lower half is often badly corrupted. Also see what seems to be 'bright flashes' - a part of the image that is badly pixelated is bright purple as if it is a bright ray of IR/UV light. In general it is useless and I have already had a couple of incidents where it would have been useful but provided nothing but crap.... (frozen image, yerky, missed the 'action', corrupted)

When driving in AP the system 'works' most of the time (albeit lane-changes often fail) but I do see a lot of 'phantom cars/trucks' or verhicles moving around the screen in a very yerky motion. Sometimes I overtake a truck and it will seemingly start jumping forwards again and 'overtake' me.

Little faith in the system anymore anyway....

I received a reply from Service saying that dropouts or missing camera files from my right-repeater were a known bug, and they had me soft and hard reset to attempt to correct until a fix is available. I believe, however, that the problem is that encoding views from three cameras is just more than the current computer can handle. I expect a fix may not be available until HW3 (FSD computer) comes out, and then only for FSD owners.

I received a reply from Service saying that dropouts or missing camera files from my right-repeater were a known bug, and they had me soft and hard reset to attempt to correct until a fix is available. I believe, however, that the problem is that encoding views from three cameras is just more than the current computer can handle. I expect a fix may not be available until HW3 (FSD computer) comes out, and then only for FSD owners.

On the one hand I can agree with what you're saying.... on the other hand I'm seeing crisp, near perfect videos online from Sentry mode recordings that seem fine (and better quality than I've ever gotten out of my car). So results seem to vary?