Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh. I just gave it one long press then removed. No wonder I am having an issue. So 1 short tap to record to usb; 1 long press to safely remove stick. Got it. Will try later thanks.

The short tap is actually to move 10 minutes (30 files) from the RecentClips folder to a newly created folder (with timestamps) under the SavedClips folder. If you just do long press and remove the USB drive, the DashCam clips you are looking for has to be within 1 hour of the incident and you have to dig thru the 180 files inside the RecentClips folder to find it.

Agreed. Even though I am super upset about the situation, the lady looks like she could be anyone's aunt or mother. Imagine if this is your family member getting exposed in public for something like this.

A person's actions (or inactions) explain their character, and that is the only thing the public cares about. So what if they get exposed? Of course, she is someone's relative. That's a moot point. If I saw that footage and was like, "waitaminute, that's ma!", I'd propose a public apology to accept responsibility, open a line of communication to the victim, and strive not to do it again. This would calm any social media turbulence. So far, all we have is a sociopath. Of course everyone wants to throw the book at them. There's no sympathy for people like this. When in public, assume no privacy and expect there to be cameras everywhere. In parts of Europe and Asia it is not unusual to have "big brother" watching your every move.

Reactions: Kain
Unfortunately California is becoming the look the other way State and let insurance pay or just accept and live with damage caused by others, which then becomes your fault when you do. Where do we draw the line, okay to let someone who broke into you car damaged and maybe took things, come to your home and do the same there? This is only heading in one direction and given the staggering numbers of crimes in this area we know which way.

For people who say to “look the other way”, don’t complain about high insurance costs.

Not sure the legality of posting the footage online as you can see the person's faces and license plate. I'd rather not chance it as it might risk some privacy issues as I've also stated location of the incident.

On a tangent here, is it really necessary to blur out the license plate at all in a dash cam video like the one from the OP? Even faces (of non-minors at least(? The license plate is public information, right? And when people are out in public, there is the chance of being recorded, so is it legally necessary to blur faces and plates if you post a video online? Just curious about that. Any lawyers on the thread here?

A person's actions (or inactions) explain their character, and that is the only thing the public cares about. So what if they get exposed? Of course, she is someone's relative. That's a moot point. If I saw that footage and was like, "waitaminute, that's ma!", I'd propose a public apology to accept responsibility, open a line of communication to the victim, and strive not to do it again. This would calm any social media turbulence. So far, all we have is a sociopath. Of course everyone wants to throw the book at them. There's no sympathy for people like this. When in public, assume no privacy and expect there to be cameras everywhere. In parts of Europe and Asia it is not unusual to have "big brother" watching your every move.

Someone rammed into the back of my old car, denting the bumper and cracking the paint. They left a note with their number despite being a starving student. That is classy. I've hit someone knocking off their side view mirror and left a note, and my karma was that the driver called me and said that not only did they fix the mirror themselves for free, but actually thanked me for helping his faith in humanity.
On the other hand, THREE other times over the years my wife and I got serious damage from being scraped or run into in a parking lot and they left no note. On one occasion we got a plate from a good Samaritan and got their insurance to pay for the damages (well over $1000).
It's so hit or miss, but in the end, if you hit someone and you drive away, you gotta live with yourself, and if you're able to have no remorse, you're kind of an a-hole. Law in Ca makes it a misdemeanor to hit and run like that, and a felony if an injury is involved.

Reactions: forkee and MP3Mike
On a tangent here, is it really necessary to blur out the license plate at all in a dash cam video like the one from the OP? Even faces (of non-minors at least(? The license plate is public information, right? And when people are out in public, there is the chance of being recorded, so is it legally necessary to blur faces and plates if you post a video online? Just curious about that. Any lawyers on the thread here?

There is no requirement to blurr amything, but in this case no reason not to.

His insurance company advised him to not post either faces or license plates publically because it can complicate the claim. Though he's probably legally safe in doing so, the objective at this point is to hold the other party financially responsible with as little complicating factors as possible.

Reactions: woodguyatl
It does vary by state. I used to live in Colorado and now live in California. Colorado it doesn't matter whose fault it is, both party's insurance goes up. In California it's illegal for Insurance companies to increase your rate when you are not at fault.

Only a few states have this legal stipulation. That said, it also varies by insurance company and policy. I'm in CO and my insurance won't raise rates for a no-fault accident, it's actually specifically stated in our policy. My wife was in an accident 3 years ago, rear-ended by a texting driver. The at-fault driver's car was totaled and our Ford Explorer suffered significant damage. If anyone would have been in the third row, they would have been severely injured or killed. Texting driver was traveling 45~50 mph (5~10mph over the speed limit at this location) and didn't notice to hit the brakes. Police figured she was actually accelerating at the time of impact.

The at-fault driver was under-insured, of course. Our insurance rates have actually gone down since the accident, even replacing the Explorer with an Expedition since its repair and replacing another vehicle with our Model X.

If you have an insurance company that would raise rates over the incident in this thread, you need a new insurance company.

Police will gladly file a report on an incident like this and then tell you to handle it all through your insurance. Which is pretty much the way it needs to be. Pressing charges can be a bit problematic for reasons others have stated -- the driver/owner of the car may not have been aware of the damage their passenger inflicted to start with. However, pressing charges can be a means of leverage if the driver of that car and their insurance become uncooperative. In most states, CA and CO included, the driver, or specifically the owner, of the vehicle is responsible for damage caused by one of their passengers through operation of the vehicle. ie; door dings, etc... I truly doubt this person, or specifically their insurance, would be uncooperative due to the video. And that would be between insurance companies anyway...

They damaged someones car, clearly realized they did so, and fled without reporting it or taking any responsibility.

Press charges. Also file insurance against them as well.

Discourage them from doing it again in a way simply filing an insurance claim won't.
My understanding is that victims have zero ability to “press charges”. They can only request Police look into it, and the local DA decides if he/she wants to proceed. The victim being willing or unwilling to cooperate is a consideration for the DA, but ultimately the victim has no real influence whether or not police/DAs proceed to pursue the matter. For something like this, I would be shocked if the police did anything beyond filing the report.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: smmmurf
Update - The officer just called me about 10 minutes ago. He provided me with the other party's information to provide to my insurance. He said it's a tricky situation since neither car was moving. This makes it hard to charge them with a hit-and-run. He said since he couldn't get a hold of the other party, he can't charge them with vandalism as he can't get proof that there was intent to vandalize.
At this point, he would not pursue them any further and suggested that I leave it to my insurance to handle it.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
My understanding is that victims have zero ability to “press charges”. They can only request Police look into it, and the local DA decides if he/she wants to proceed. The victim being willing or unwilling to cooperate is a consideration for the DA, but ultimately the victim has no real influence whether or not police/DAs proceed to pursue the matter. For something like this, I would be shocked if the police did anything beyond filing the report.

Correct. The state pursues a criminal case, and doing so is at their option. Certainly prosecutors give great weight to the desires of victims (thus why police will ask if you want to press charges), but they have no requirement to do so. This works both ways - the state can file charges against someone even if a victim does not want the case pursued.

The venue for a person to pursue another person for wrongdoing is civil court, not criminal court. Ultimately, because insurance was involved here, the best bet is to have the insurance company handle this piece. If the other party does not have insurance (or said insurance does not want to settle), the company may chose to pursue a civil claim against that person (which would be covered by insurance if the other party had it). As an example, I once lived in a condo building that experience a fire due to an improperly disposed of cigarette. While I thankfully had no damage to my unit, the city closed the building until the damaged areas were repaired and the entire building could be brought up to the current fire code. My homeowners insurance paid over $16k for me to live in a hotel for several months. They ultimately retained a law firm to pursue compensation from the offender in civil court, but alas she didn't have much in the way of assets (she was renting the unit and had no renters insurance) and they ended up dropping the matter. Thankfully my insurance rates never rose from the incident and I've remained loyal to that company ever since.

Theoretically, the OP could have pursued the other driver for damages in small claims court without filing with their insurance company. But that is a tremendous hassle and situations like these is one major reason to carry insurance - the insurer can figure out whether it is worth pursuing compensation if the offender is uncooperative.

OP - thanks for posting this. I really haven't played around with sentry mode and didn't think I'd bother with it until I saw your post. Will definitely be using it when parked in public lots now.

• Love
Reactions: Kain
*Disclaimer - I wrote this post yesterday before I saw the video, and now with looking at the video it was a bit more tame than I expected.*

A lot of you guys are way too nice IMO by wanting to let the lady off the hook. If given the option, I would absolutely press charges in a second. It's highly unethical to knowingly damage someone's property and then leave without making a good faith effort to make it right. People like that will do it over and over until their are consequences, and I disagree with just turning it over to insurance. It's not worth the legal fight/cost for them to go after the offender, so in the long run your insurance will go up and the perpetrator still won't learn their lesson.

When I was a kid and we had a tank Mercedes 300D, my little sister kicked the door open into the car next to us in a parking lot. My dad made us all wait in the car for over an hour until the owner came out so my sister could apologize directly to him, and then my dad gave all of his info including his driver's license and said he would make it right. That kind of common courtesy is lacking today, and I think a big reason why is people think they can do whatever they want with impunity.

That is all spot on.... for so many reasons. I'll bet there were a lot of lessons learned! What a great Dad.

Reactions: MTSN and Kain
Quick Update. Just received a call from my insurance claim person. He said he will waive my deductible as the footage is clear that the other party is liable. They will run search based on the person's license plate and vin# and reach out to them.

I'm really surprised this thread is getting so many responses. Hopefully this can bring attention to how useful Sentry mode is. I know prior to this incident, I just happened to turn it on every now and then without giving it much thought. After this, I will now enable it every time I go out.

Maybe even get it forwarded to some Tesla management so they can see it's value and continue to invest it Sentry mode capabilities.

Correct. The state pursues a criminal case, and doing so is at their option. Certainly prosecutors give great weight to the desires of victims (thus why police will ask if you want to press charges), but they have no requirement to do so. This works both ways - the state can file charges against someone even if a victim does not want the case pursued.

The venue for a person to pursue another person for wrongdoing is civil court, not criminal court. Ultimately, because insurance was involved here, the best bet is to have the insurance company handle this piece. If the other party does not have insurance (or said insurance does not want to settle), the company may chose to pursue a civil claim against that person (which would be covered by insurance if the other party had it). As an example, I once lived in a condo building that experience a fire due to an improperly disposed of cigarette. While I thankfully had no damage to my unit, the city closed the building until the damaged areas were repaired and the entire building could be brought up to the current fire code. My homeowners insurance paid over $16k for me to live in a hotel for several months. They ultimately retained a law firm to pursue compensation from the offender in civil court, but alas she didn't have much in the way of assets (she was renting the unit and had no renters insurance) and they ended up dropping the matter. Thankfully my insurance rates never rose from the incident and I've remained loyal to that company ever since.

Theoretically, the OP could have pursued the other driver for damages in small claims court without filing with their insurance company. But that is a tremendous hassle and situations like these is one major reason to carry insurance - the insurer can figure out whether it is worth pursuing compensation if the offender is uncooperative.

OP - thanks for posting this. I really haven't played around with sentry mode and didn't think I'd bother with it until I saw your post. Will definitely be using it when parked in public lots now.

:)That's one of the main reason for my post. To bring awareness to others of how useful this feature is.

It's a crappy feeling knowing you have to pay money out of your own pocket to fix damages caused by other people's carelessness. If it weren't for the footage, I'd have to end up paying $500 deductible to get my car fixed as my insurance filed it under collision rather than comprehensive. And if you live in one of the other states, your insurance rates would go up even if you're not at fault. At least this feature can help minimize the chances of this happening to others.

One thing I want to mention though, Sentry mode eats up data super fast. I filled up my entire 32 gb usb within a week's time. It also does not overwrite old data. After a week, I noticed my camera showed an 'x' on the icon and I had to clean up the drive to make room.

Also, although the feature works pretty well, it is far from perfect. I am hoping Tesla also activates the rear cam to also record in a future update.

Reactions: Need
Wow that was like the largest parking spot ever, how careless can one be?

It’s disappointing the cops basically won’t do anything. That’s all too common. I feel things like this are a total violation, yet there is basically no punishment for these people. My cars were hit three times in 2017 by hit and runs in parking lots (like rip off bumper bad). If that happens again, I will definitely be very agressive with Law Enforcement, and if not I will find where the person works and/or where their children go to school and print out fliers and plaster them everywhere. I have no concern or regard for their privacy if they bail after leaving my bumper cover on the ground.