Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that was like the largest parking spot ever, how careless can one be?

It’s disappointing the cops basically won’t do anything. That’s all too common. I feel things like this are a total violation, yet there is basically no punishment for these people. My cars were hit three times in 2017 by hit and runs in parking lots (like rip off bumper bad). If that happens again, I will definitely be very agressive with Law Enforcement, and if not I will find where the person works and/or where their children go to school and print out fliers and plaster them everywhere. I have no concern or regard for their privacy if they bail after leaving my bumper cover on the ground.

Just be careful. They could turn around and sue you for possible harassment. That would really add icing to the cake.

To be honest though, I watched the video many times and one thing for sure was that she did not expect the door to swing out that far and that fast. She was ready to catch the door but missed it by a mile. So I think either she is new to this car, or the car is parked on an incline where her side of the door was facing downhill. It does not excuse them leaving the scene though.

Wow that was like the largest parking spot ever, how careless can one be?

It’s disappointing the cops basically won’t do anything. That’s all too common. I feel things like this are a total violation, yet there is basically no punishment for these people. My cars were hit three times in 2017 by hit and runs in parking lots (like rip off bumper bad). If that happens again, I will definitely be very agressive with Law Enforcement, and if not I will find where the person works and/or where their children go to school and print out fliers and plaster them everywhere. I have no concern or regard for their privacy if they bail after leaving my bumper cover on the ground.
What are the cops supposed to charge her with? “Being and idiot and opening the door carelessly”

At least the cop gave the contact info and attempted to reach them. Not sure what more they are expected to do in this case.

I would certainly be upset as well and would try to get the other party to pay, but it definitely isn’t a criminal matter.

What are the cops supposed to charge her with? “Being and idiot and opening the door carelessly”

At least the cop gave the contact info and attempted to reach them. Not sure what more they are expected to do in this case.

I would certainly be upset as well and would try to get the other party to pay, but it definitely isn’t a criminal matter.

Police can be used for the sole purpose of documenting the vehicles involved on a police report... Tesla owner can then hand over to insurance company for resolution.

:)That's one of the main reason for my post. To bring awareness to others of how useful this feature is.

One thing I want to mention though, Sentry mode eats up data super fast. I filled up my entire 32 gb usb within a week's time. It also does not overwrite old data. After a week, I noticed my camera showed an 'x' on the icon and I had to clean up the drive to make room.

Also, although the feature works pretty well, it is far from perfect. I am hoping Tesla also activates the rear cam to also record in a future update.

After reading here, all the good capability of both dash cam and sentry, I ordered a USB flash drive, for my soon to arrive model 3. If I understand correctly, you need a large capacity version, so I spent the $$ and got 256GB. I also got one rated for outdoor temperatures. Many flash drives are not rated to work below freezing. Others are good to -20 to -40 range. Also wanted one reasonably compact.

Got this one: Samsung 256GB FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 300MB/s (MUF-256AB/AM).
Seem hard to find one with really good write speed, they mostly advertise read speed, which I think is less relevant in this situation.

Got this one: Samsung 256GB FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 300MB/s (MUF-256AB/AM).
That's the one I got a couple of weeks ago (full disclosure: I am a Samsung employee). I partitioned the drive into (approximate) 60GB (TeslaCam) and 178GB (music) partitions using EaseUS Partition Master 13.0. As I generally have Windows 7 on my computers, only one of the USB's partitions is visible at a time so I set the 60GB as the primary (the 178GB is logical). This allows me to plug the drive into any system and I can access the video clips. When I need to add more music I have to swap the primary and logical partitions. Not too much of an issue for me.

Oh, and just to be clear, the car can find both partitions and works fine for Sentry Mode and playing music. I just wish the car can remember which song was playing when it goes to sleep so it can continue where it left off.

After reading here, all the good capability of both dash cam and sentry, I ordered a USB flash drive, for my soon to arrive model 3. If I understand correctly, you need a large capacity version, so I spent the $$ and got 256GB. I also got one rated for outdoor temperatures. Many flash drives are not rated to work below freezing. Others are good to -20 to -40 range. Also wanted one reasonably compact.

Seem hard to find one with really good write speed, they mostly advertise read speed, which I think is less relevant in this situation.

The tesla cameras write at 0.5 mb/sec per camera, so 1.5 mb/s total for all 3.

Which is 2-3 times slower than the slowest USB2 keys out there....let alone newer ones.

That's the one I got a couple of weeks ago (full disclosure: I am a Samsung employee). I partitioned the drive into (approximate) 60GB (TeslaCam) and 178GB (music) partitions using EaseUS Partition Master 13.0. As I generally have Windows 7 on my computers, only one of the USB's partitions is visible at a time so I set the 60GB as the primary (the 178GB is logical). This allows me to plug the drive into any system and I can access the video clips. When I need to add more music I have to swap the primary and logical partitions. Not too much of an issue for me.

Oh, and just to be clear, the car can find both partitions and works fine for Sentry Mode and playing music. I just wish the car can remember which song was playing when it goes to sleep so it can continue where it left off.

I would recommend switching to a dashcam friendly microsd card with a USB adapter. The constant writing overwriting from the dashcam can destroy usb flash drives pretty easily. I was using a 32gb samsung fit and it died quickly once I got the sentry mode update. It would be unfortunate to lose a large 256gb flash drive due to that.

Here are some sd card recommendations.

MicroSD Cards We Recommend for Dash Cameras

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I would recommend switching to a dashcam friendly microsd card with a USB adapter. The constant writing overwriting from the dashcam can destroy usb flash drives pretty easily. I was using a 32gb samsung fit and it died quickly once I got the sentry mode update. It would be unfortunate to lose a large 256gb flash drive due to that.

Here are some sd card recommendations.

MicroSD Cards We Recommend for Dash Cameras
I purchased a Samsung enterprise class SSD with power loss protection and put it in a USB enclosure. Sadly I still get the file checks occasionally but it works.
256GB with 5 year warranty (but may have a hard time claiming since it's technically not for resale) and rated for .8 drive writes PER DAY! $70.
specs 883 DCT | Data Center SSD | Samsung V-NAND
amazon https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-883-DCT-MZ-7LH480NE-Warranty/dp/B07HCFMGL6

I got the 480GB version when Amazon was the seller, looks like only third party have it now. You also need an enclosure, sadly I don't think they make an enclosure with power loss protection so it could technically still lose data when Tesla cuts the power off during writes.

Quick update. So their insurance (Geico) contacted me to get my statement after 1.5 months and by then my car has already been fixed. They said the other party had informed them that my insurance has been going after him and that he requested an attorney. I told them they should not be contacting me about this situation as my car is already fix and to discuss this with my insurance. Fast forward 2 weeks and I just received a letter in the mail from Geico claiming they do not feel they are liable for the damages. I have not heard back from my insurance yet whether or not they will press charges or take further action. My insurance told me to fix the car and had covered all damages and waived the deductible right after I provided them the footage about 1.5-2 months ago. This is crazy that even after capturing them red handed on video, that they can claim they are not at fault. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of scenario with door dings?

Quick update. So their insurance (Geico) contacted me to get my statement after 1.5 months and by then my car has already been fixed. They said the other party had informed them that my insurance has been going after him and that he requested an attorney. I told them they should not be contacting me about this situation as my car is already fix and to discuss this with my insurance. Fast forward 2 weeks and I just received a letter in the mail from Geico claiming they do not feel they are liable for the damages. I have not heard back from my insurance yet whether or not they will press charges or take further action. My insurance told me to fix the car and had covered all damages and waived the deductible right after I provided them the footage about 1.5-2 months ago. This is crazy that even after capturing them red handed on video, that they can claim they are not at fault. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of scenario with door dings?

I think just let your insurance deal with it at this point. The other insurance will always deflect or minimize the blame unless there is absolute proof of their fault (e.g you got hit from behind in an accident, while stopped in traffic). From just looking at the video footage, you can’t tell whether the damage is already existing, unless they take your word for it. I think that may be what they are using to push back against your insurance.