Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't even work with >20% range when it's plugged in. THAT'S a weird decision.

-Randy

Huh??

Doesn’t matter...you call Tesla and request they send you the footage.

Only if you have agreed to share the footage with Tesla in advance through your car's settings. Tesla said it was temporarily stored and identified by your car number but no word on how long that "temporary" info is kept.

From Tesla's release notes:

"Note: Additional Battery power is consumed while Sentry Mode is active. To enable Sentry Mode battery level must be greater than 20%."

“Sentry Mode will send recorded footage to Tesla for temporary backup and feature improvement. You can enable or disable this collection any time via the DATA SHARING video clip setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for more information.” Tesla Sentry Mode: Interesting new details

Last edited:
Seems to have issues with the camera on the passenger side, the side they will normally smash your window on. Lots of people reporting it.

-Randy

The majority of my TeslaCam footage since 2/24 when I got 2019.5.4 has green screen corruption issues with the left-repeater not the passenger side one. But I have clips showing it on both repeaters and occasionally on the front camera. Hopefully they are analyzing why the corruption is occuring on people's videos and can make adjustments. Our Model S was smashed on the driver's side triangular window btw.

The majority of my TeslaCam footage since 2/24 when I got 2019.5.4 has green screen corruption issues with the left-repeater not the passenger side one. But I have clips showing it on both repeaters and occasionally on the front camera. Hopefully they are analyzing why the corruption is occuring on people's videos and can make adjustments. Our Model S was smashed on the driver's side triangular window btw.
Did you get an El Cheapo storage card. I got a 100Gig highly rated one...didn’t think cheap or low storage was the way to go go this. Is it your cam(s) or a data corruption memory card issue?

Same issue here on a good USB drive.

Interesting. I haven’t noticed this but I have noticed that my back up camera is slow to start up when I select reverse now. First black screen then 10 seconds later it actually comes on. Also with the latest update Tesla changed functionality of the forward USB ports....I had to change out my USB charge/data cables for charge only in order to power my Jeda charge pad. For some reason Tesla broke the ability to use USB charge/data cables with the cars USB ports.

Interesting. I haven’t noticed this but I have noticed that my back up camera is slow to start up when I select reverse now.

This has been happening to me too. I use sentry mode every time I am not parked in my garage. But since the update, even when going in reverse from my garage (when sentry mode has been off) the backup camera is black for about 10 seconds before it finally shows the image.

Reactions: steve in socal
Did you get an El Cheapo storage card. I got a 100Gig highly rated one...didn’t think cheap or low storage was the way to go go this. Is it your cam(s) or a data corruption memory card issue?

No, I know better. We've had a dashcam for a few years now. It's also been pretty cool weather out here over the past few weeks so know that the internal temp of the car wasn't a factor or don't see it as one now. I was using a 128GB Sandisk Utra USB starting on 2/24 with 2019.5.4 (been on 2019.5.15 for a little while now with the same issues) and in trying to narrow down why the corruption is happening purchased a 128GB Blackvue microSD card made for higher rewrites in constant-use dashcams--our Model S runs 24/7 even in park. We've been using Blackvue media in our Model S with no problems for a few years now.

However, despite switching out to the microSD card, still seeing the same green screen and other image corruption and have several zerob files on occasion. Just pulled my USB/microSD card reader and checked files this morning. Still mostly on the left repeater. I even recorded driving footage today without charging my phone in the other USB connection in case the charging was affecting how the video on the adjacent TeslaCam USB connector was being written. No difference. So my conclusion is that it's not the media I'm using. There's also too many people using all different kinds of media and experiencing these same problems to lead me to believe it's the media any longer. I do agree that when it comes to dashcam recording however, you'll want something specifically capable of high rewrites, decent capacity (I think 128GB is fine for me) and able to work well longer once the temperature inside the car starts to climb. Also buying from a reputable company who is an authorized reseller of the product will prevent faked products from crashing on you in the short term. These things do a have a limited lifetime just so people know.

I too have noticed my Model 3 backup camera has been slow to show an image when the car is put in Reverse. Had not experienced any black screen before. It doesn't stay black for long but clearly they've made some change to software that is likely affecting this. Ah the joys of software updates. At least from the numerous reports we know it's not the camera hardware.

Reactions: EdisonDrvr
I reported the green screen/corruption (mostly with the left repeater cam) and recently received a response suggesting that I should schedule my car for service. I’m not going to do that since of course many other people are reporting the same issue so it’s clearly not a very unique car-specific issue. I’m disappointed (again) that Tesla support is not aware of the issue.

Also, regarding the 10-second black screen when going into reverse... I found that rebooting the system made that issue stop reoccurring.

No, I know better. We've had a dashcam for a few years now. It's also been pretty cool weather out here over the past few weeks so know that the internal temp of the car wasn't a factor or don't see it as one now. I was using a 128GB Sandisk Utra USB starting on 2/24 with 2019.5.4 (been on 2019.5.15 for a little while now with the same issues) and in trying to narrow down why the corruption is happening purchased a 128GB Blackvue microSD card made for higher rewrites in constant-use dashcams--our Model S runs 24/7 even in park. We've been using Blackvue media in our Model S with no problems for a few years now.

However, despite switching out to the microSD card, still seeing the same green screen and other image corruption and have several zerob files on occasion. Just pulled my USB/microSD card reader and checked files this morning. Still mostly on the left repeater. I even recorded driving footage today without charging my phone in the other USB connection in case the charging was affecting how the video on the adjacent TeslaCam USB connector was being written. No difference. So my conclusion is that it's not the media I'm using. There's also too many people using all different kinds of media and experiencing these same problems to lead me to believe it's the media any longer. I do agree that when it comes to dashcam recording however, you'll want something specifically capable of high rewrites, decent capacity (I think 128GB is fine for me) and able to work well longer once the temperature inside the car starts to climb. Also buying from a reputable company who is an authorized reseller of the product will prevent faked products from crashing on you in the short term. These things do a have a limited lifetime just so people know.

I too have noticed my Model 3 backup camera has been slow to show an image when the car is put in Reverse. Had not experienced any black screen before. It doesn't stay black for long but clearly they've made some change to software that is likely affecting this. Ah the joys of software updates. At least from the numerous reports we know it's not the camera hardware.

Thanks for the info. I haven’t experienced the green screen yet. Definitely have the delayed activation of back up cam on reverse though.

For anyone who hasn't looked through their files yet, here's what the green screen is referring to. From Starbuck's drivethru this morning, left repeater. I'll see perfectly fine video files in the folder and then green on some of them. Sometimes the green appears on a few seconds of the footage but have also seen it run the whole minute. For me mostly happening on the left repeater but have noticed it on right and front.

greenclip - 1.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: is2scooby
I will need to wait until next time it rains to test (guessing November), but I assume since auto steer works in the rain then sentry should be fine as well.

Well, I know it will turn on, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with how much data it will save. The other day my friend just lightly brushed his finger on the door panel and that was enough to register an event and have the 10 min of video files get saved to my drive. I imagine if that's enough to trigger it, then rain drops might as well. I'm curious if it will then basically register continuous events and end up saving hours of video to the drive (prematurely filling it up).

Well, I know it will turn on, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with how much data it will save. The other day my friend just lightly brushed his finger on the door panel and that was enough to register an event and have the 10 min of video files get saved to my drive. I imagine if that's enough to trigger it, then rain drops might as well. I'm curious if it will then basically register continuous events and end up saving hours of video to the drive (prematurely filling it up).

It's not the touching the door that sets off sentry mode, it's your friend standing in the camera's field of view. I am assuming your friend is bigger than rain drops.

• Funny
Reactions: ConcordeSST