Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC, Sentry Mode must be enabled every time, at least on 8.5. That said, I use TeslaFi and have set Sentry to be automatically enabled at all tagged destinations except home. Currently, you set this up in each destination as part of the tagging...somewhat cumbersome the first time, but you only have to do this once. TeslaFi are working on other ways to automatically enable Sentry more easily but what is delivered today works quite well.

I’m on 8.6, and it has been turning on automatically recently. It seems to only happen when parked overnight. I find that it is on in the morning, or my wife reports that it turned on when she backed her car out of the garage. I noticed it and have been checking with the app. I checked yesterday after I arrived home, and it was off. However, sometime, in the middle of the night it sent a message that it was turning Sentry Mode off as battery was running low. My preference is that it not turn on automatically. Hope they address this soon by providing an optional setting.

I’m on 8.6, and it has been turning on automatically recently. It seems to only happen when parked overnight. I find that it is on in the morning, or my wife reports that it turned on when she backed her car out of the garage. I noticed it and have been checking with the app. I checked yesterday after I arrived home, and it was off. However, sometime, in the middle of the night it sent a message that it was turning Sentry Mode off as battery was running low. My preference is that it not turn on automatically. Hope they address this soon by providing an optional setting.
See any other Sentry options in the app?

Just a couple of quick questions. Wanting to get USB flash while waiting on my 3. I have the downloaded manual but doesn't cover Sentry Mode.

Should I get a 256GB or a 128GB?
Does it use the same USB/folder (TeslaCam) as DashCam?

Uses the same root TeslaCam folder

As to space-

The 3 cameras will use 5.4GB for 1 hour rolling buffer for dashcam that it will overwrite as it goes.

Each time you press the dashcam icon to save the last 10 minutes permanently that will eat ~900 megs to save 3 cameras/10 minutes worth.

Sentry, when alerted, or alarmed, will also save the previous 10 minutes plus future minutes while it remains in alert so that's another 900mb+ and this, too, is permanent (unless you manually delete it later).

How often sentry is triggered to at least alert depends on how much/often things/people come near the car with Sentry mode on. One guy reported filling up a 32GB key in less than 8 hours at work because he parked facing outward into a busy lot. Others have reported 0 activations all day parked the other way in a quiet lot.

A 128GB drive is PROBABLY plenty for most folks- with 256GB not doing much other than extending the amount of time you can go without taking the drive out to clean up saved files you don't need anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: JulienW
Just a couple of quick questions. Wanting to get USB flash while waiting on my 3. I have the downloaded manual but doesn't cover Sentry Mode.

Should I get a 256GB or a 128GB?
Does it use the same USB/folder (TeslaCam) as DashCam?
I have a 128GB flash drive and I can easily go 2 weeks before it gets full. I also partitioned it and used about 28GB for music.

• Helpful
Reactions: JulienW
quick question, when I'm in Sentry Mode, and I get back in my car.....if there was an occurrence, I have a message on my screen indicating that when I get in the car. Do I need to touch the dash cam icon in order to save the Sentry Mode files (like with Dash Cam), or are the Sentry Mode files automatically saved on my flash drive?

quick question, when I'm in Sentry Mode, and I get back in my car.....if there was an occurrence, I have a message on my screen indicating that when I get in the car. Do I need to touch the dash cam icon in order to save the Sentry Mode files (like with Dash Cam), or are the Sentry Mode files automatically saved on my flash drive?
They are already saved automatically. The footage of the 10 minutes prior to the trigger will be in the Saved folder.

They are already saved automatically. The footage of the 10 minutes prior to the trigger will be in the Saved folder.
Does anyone else have this problem: whenever I return to my Model 3 and an "incident has occurred" the teslacam icon shows grey X and teslacam stops working. I need to remove USB device and use PC to reset TeslaCam directory before it will work properly again.
Should I be reporting this for warranty service?