Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Viewer should be hidden while in Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOVE the new Sentry viewer and they've done an amazing job with the interface showing a thumbnail with a very easy way to switch between the different video feeds.

My only issue is that anyone who has access to the car now has access to all the Sentry and TeslaCam videos with no password required for access. They can see where you've been, where you live, and have access to all your videos without your permission. I can think of situations where this would not be so good.

I guess they could lock out Sentry from Valet Mode but I never use Valet Mode any more because Valet mood disables Sentry video recording. I recently had a valet damage my car while parking my car right in front of me and then tried to claim he caused no damage to my car! Since I did not put the car on Valet mode, I was able to show the video clips and the parking garage agreed to pay for the damages.

My other concern is that even if you not put the car on Valet Mode to preserve Sentry recording ability, a knowledgeable valet can simply delete any videos if they cause any damage removing any useful proof.

I really feel with the dozens and perhaps hundreds of videos many of us have on our Sentry and TeslaCam drives, there should be an option to secure the TeslaCam video viewer with a password. Okay I realize they can take the drive out manually but you have the option of hiding it with a cable extension if needed and I just want to make it harder for someone to access the videos.

Let me put it this way, would you be okay with having anyone who visits your house, including service providers, have full access to all your home security camera videos? Of course not. With Sentry and TeslaCam it's a similar situation.

Password/PIN Solution:
Add the OPTION for a password/PIN to the TeslaCam viewer page OR have the driver enter their Tesla account credentials to access TeslaCam Viewer the same as accessing other "secure" parts of the UI.

Integrate with Valet Mode but with Stealth recording of everything that happens while the car is in Valet Mode
Lock out TesaCam viewer when the car is in Valet Mode

BUT for this to be viable, there needs to be a way to put the car in "Stealth" TeslaCam and Sentry recording mode while the car is in Valet. This way Sentry videos can't be accessed while the car is in Valet Mode but the car is recording everything in stealth mode without any flashing or Sentry reports on the IC. I completely stopped using Valet Mode because it disables Sentry Mode preventing videos of what happens to the car when it is driven by someone else and most at risk.

I think it should be put behind the pin2drive, such that if you have pin2drive enabled, you cannot see the teslacam video viewer until you put in the correct pin.
I don't have this update yet, so I cannot test it out. Does valet mode really disable sentry mode and the dashcam? I think that would be where you need it most! Did you actually put it in valet mode, and try to view the videos?

I LOVE the new Sentry viewer and they've done an amazing job with the interface showing a thumbnail with a very easy way to switch between the different video feeds.

My only issue is that anyone who has access to the car now has access to all the Sentry and TeslaCam videos with no password required for access. They can see where you've been, where you live, and have access to all your videos without your permission. I can think of situations where this would not be so good.

I guess they could lock out Sentry from Valet Mode but I never use Valet Mode any more because Valet mood disables Sentry video recording. I recently had a valet damage my car while parking my car right in front of me and then tried to claim he caused no damage to my car! Since I did not put the car on Valet mode, I was able to show the video clips and the parking garage agreed to pay for the damages.

My other concern is that even if you not put the car on Valet Mode to preserve Sentry recording ability, a knowledgeable valet can simply delete any videos if they cause any damage removing any useful proof.

I really feel with the dozens and perhaps hundreds of videos many of us have on our Sentry and TeslaCam drives, there should be an option to secure the TeslaCam video viewer with a password. Okay I realize they can take the drive out manually but you have the option of hiding it with a cable extension if needed and I just want to make it harder for someone to access the videos.

Let me put it this way, would you be okay with having anyone who visits your house, including service providers, have full access to all your home security camera videos? Of course not. With Sentry and TeslaCam it's a similar situation.

Password/PIN Solution:
Add the OPTION for a password/PIN to the TeslaCam viewer page OR have the driver enter their Tesla account credentials to access TeslaCam Viewer the same as accessing other "secure" parts of the UI.

Integrate with Valet Mode but with Stealth recording of everything that happens while the car is in Valet Mode

BUT for this to be viable, there needs to be a way to put the car in "Stealth" TeslaCam and Sentry recording mode while the car is in Valet. This way Sentry videos can't be accessed while the car is in Valet Mode but the car is recording everything in stealth mode without any flashing or Sentry reports on the IC. I completely stopped using Valet Mode because it disables Sentry Mode preventing videos of what happens to the car when it is driven by someone else and most at risk.

I ABSOLUTELY completely agree with you.

I can think of so many situations where you DO NOT want some random person to not only have access to all your Sentry and TeslaCam videos but also the option to permanently delete those videos.

Great analogy with home security camera footage, They should have the OPTION to lock TeslaCam Viewer behind a PIN or password. If this is not a concern for someone they can leave the option unchecked but for those of us who do not want anyone who has access to the car the option to go through all of our videos, the PIN/Password would be quite useful.

You are also not alone with no longer using Valet Mode because it disables Sentry recordings. The good news is they are working on a "Stealth" Sentry mode recording feature! They just need to incorporate stealth sentry recording to Valet Mode so that the car can continue to record Sentry videos but in stealth mode when the car is in Valet Mode. I don;t trust Valets either and go out of my way to do everything I can to make sure they don't drive my car. Usually a $10 tip to let me park my own car works :p

Here's the good news about Stealth Sentry Mode being implemented so part of your wish is already being developed. They just need to add Stealth Sentry to Valet Mode and lock out Sentry Viewer when the car is in Valet Mode.

Tesla ‘Stealth’ Sentry Mode gets nod of approval from CEO Elon Musk

I think the real answer to this is three-fold: enable Sentry independently of Valet mode; password/PIN protect the videos; and place a data-enabled USB port inside the glove box (inaccessible in Valet mode) for the thumb drive.

You can easily fish a cable to the glove box to secure the Sentry/DashCam drive and then leave a dummy USB drive on that USB port just to trick anyone who thinks they are so smart that they know where the videos are stored :p

I agree they should allow you to enable Sentry/TeslaCam WITH Valet Mode. When the car is with a valet is when you want EVERYTHING recorded. Disabling Sentry in Valet Mode makes no sense.

It should be straightforward to protect the Sentry/TeslaCam viewer with a password/PIN should be very easy to implement.

Last edited:
You can easily fish a cable to the glove box to secure the Sentry/DashCam drive and then leave a dummy USB drive on that USB port just to trick anyone who thinks they are so smart that they know where the videos are stored :p

I agree they should allow you to enable Sentry/TeslaCam WITH Valet Mode. When the car is with a valet is when you want EVERYTHING recorded. Disabling Sentry in Valet Mode makes no sense.

It should be straightforward to protect the Sentry/TeslaCam viewer with a password/PIN should be very easy to implement.
The glovebox can be easily opened from the side with a hook. There are YouTube videos if you're interested.

The glovebox can be easily opened from the side with a hook. There are YouTube videos if you're interested.

Yeah at some point security is about making things as difficult as possible for the common idiot. Anyone smart enough who really wants something will just get it.

OPs suggestions and concerns are common sense things that can be done easily to offer some sense of security, the whole point behind Sentry/TeslaCam.

I also agree they should enable Sentry with Valet mode, especially after they enable Stealth Sentry.

Even most savvy Tesla owners will not think beyond removing a USB drive in the default location and not tear down the car looking for alternate hidden locations...

Last edited:

Password/PIN Solution:

I agree with you, Valet is the appropriate place to hide sentry mode. It doesn't need a separate password when your nav history already shows anyone in your car where you live, where you go, and so on. Valet mode already hides personal data - it should hide the viewer but continue to Sentry as usual.

Password on the Sentry mode? Next you will want a combo safe door placed over the USB port. And my point is simply, anyone with access to the car - like breaking a window if they are not your passenger and anything like that, can simply pull the flash drive/media out and be gone with it. A password on Sentry is not going to stop that.

Awesome. :rolleyes:

Next you will tell us not to lock any of our doors because any competent lock pick can open any lock in a minute or two. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you are fine with the status quo so what harm does having the option OP is requesting cause you any harm?

It's astounding how people assuming as long as THEY are okay with something everyone else should be as well. The OP has brought up a legitimate point. I do not want anyone who has access to my car to be able to casually browse all my Sentry and Dashcam videos any more than I want someone who has entered my house to be able to browse all the security camera footage in my house.

As others have said, I agree that the Sentry Viewer should not be accessible when in Valet Mode and Valet mode should protect the Sentry videos the same way it protects your other personal information.

I'm confused. My sentry works with Valet Mode every time.

Now the question I have is the viewer disabled in Valet Mode. Will have to test that bit.

I'm not close to my car. Can you please verify this?

Like the OP, I stopped using Valet Mode when Valet Mode disabled Sentry Mode. If Valet works with Sentry Mode I'm pretty sure it is a recent development and it would be great news. I'm 99% sure at some point Valet Mode disabled Sentry Mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I'm confused. My sentry works with Valet Mode every time.

Now the question I have is the viewer disabled in Valet Mode. Will have to test that bit.

PS: I found the thread below. As you can see at least in the recent past, Valet Mode disabled Sentry and this is why I stopped using Valet Mode. Instead I would just enable Speed Limit Mode if I have to leave the car with a valet for some protection but still have both TeslaCam and Sentry record everything while the car is with the valet.

Sentry Mode with Valet Mode | Tesla

Ideally they need to enable Sentry WITH Valet Mode and then disable the Sentry Viewer in Valet Mode so a valet does not have access to the videos. It's not just the access that bothers me but the fact that they can also easily delete the videos.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and lardog
I agree with you, Valet is the appropriate place to hide sentry mode. It doesn't need a separate password when your nav history already shows anyone in your car where you live, where you go, and so on. Valet mode already hides personal data - it should hide the viewer but continue to Sentry as usual.

Yeah it would be awesome if they could disable access to Sentry Videos in valet Mode and then allow you to use Stealth Sentry in Valet Mode. Would address all of my concerns.

Password on the Sentry mode? Next you will want a combo safe door placed over the USB port. And my point is simply, anyone with access to the car - like breaking a window if they are not your passenger and anything like that, can simply pull the flash drive/media out and be gone with it. A password on Sentry is not going to stop that.

Next time you feel like not being helpful or having anything useful to add, think about not adding anything at all to the discourse. It's not all about you and what you find acceptable. I'm sure there are many other posts where someone discusses a feature that while you do not see much value, others find useful.

This is not about just locking out Sentry videos but also having a way to use Sentry while in Valet Mode and making it not so easy for a valet to access/delete videos.

I had an experience recently where a Valet scraped my car while I was 20 feet away from the car and then denied he did anything and argued with me for 5 minutes. He only shut up when I pulled up the Sentry/TeslaCam footage. I'm glad he did not have a way to delete those files in just 5 seconds.

Sometimes you implement sensible security precautions not to make something impossible but to make something a bit difficult.

I'm not close to my car. Can you please verify this?

Like the OP, I stopped using Valet Mode when Valet Mode disabled Sentry Mode. If Valet works with Sentry Mode I'm pretty sure it is a recent development and it would be great news. I'm 99% sure at some point Valet Mode disabled Sentry Mode.

I have been using Valet Mode w/ Sentry Mode ON for at least the past 6 months. Prior to the COVID lockdown, I would take my car to the airport weekly, where I use a valet service to park/charge my car when I am away. Sentry has always been on and my drive is currently full with events related to them moving the car around between the airport charger, garage spots, etc. So I know it works. I never have to manually turn it on or anything. I have sentry always enabled (except for using the disable at home option) and when I drop it off at the valet I turn Valet Mode on. Sentry stays on and I will get a phone alert if they accidentally trigger one of the later stages.

My only issue is that anyone who has access to the car now has access to all the Sentry and TeslaCam videos with no password required. They can see where you've been, where you live
Anyone with access to your car can just pull the USB thumb drive and read it where ever they want.

And I think if they want to find where you live, they'll just press "Navigate" and select "Home".

I have been using Valet Mode w/ Sentry Mode ON for at least the past 6 months. Prior to the COVID lockdown, I would take my car to the airport weekly, where I use a valet service to park/charge my car when I am away. Sentry has always been on and my drive is currently full with events related to them moving the car around between the airport charger, garage spots, etc. So I know it works. I never have to manually turn it on or anything. I have sentry always enabled (except for using the disable at home option) and when I drop it off at the valet I turn Valet Mode on. Sentry stays on and I will get a phone alert if they accidentally trigger one of the later stages.

This is excellent news! Thanks for letting us know.

At one point Valet Mode DISABLED Sentry for sure and it's great to hear this may no longer be the case. I'll do some testing myself and report.

Given that Sentry and Valet Mode seem to be now compatible with each other, if they could disable access to Sentry videos along with the rest of our personal information while in Valet Mode, that would be a reasonable way to address OP's valid concerns.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Anyone with access to your car can just pull the USB thumb drive and read it where ever they want.

And I think if they want to find where you live, they'll just press "Navigate" and select "Home".

We've already discussed this.

I would just like to prevent someone easy access to view and delete sentry videos from the car's UI, especially if the car is in Valet Mode. If the car is in Valet Mode, they should not be able to access the Sentry videos and delete them so easily.