Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Tesla, TACC sucks now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t use to have a problem with the way TACC accelerated and braked before the 2019.5.15 software update.

Ever since, it’s jerky AF, with the energy graph on, you can see how it swings wildly from accel to decel - so much so that it makes me queasy.

I used to drive on TACC 90% of my freeway miles,’it’s been off ever since.

It wasn’t broke.... :mad:

I really wish Tesla would have left TACC alone.

Or had an option between dumb TACC, and smart TACC.

Dumb TACC wouldn't try to do anything other than staying at the requested speed, and accelerating/decelerating as needed. Where they left it alone on updates unless there was something that absolutely had to be fixed.

Smart TACC would do all the "trying too hard" things like slowing trying not to hit stopped objects (thereby increasing the chance of false braking). Smart TACC is where they'd introduce all the new "this will help" features.

A long time ago TACC didn't even adjust for speeds on curves. Then they wrecked it by having it slow down for curves, and so it would drive the like driving miss daisy.

I didn’t use to have a problem with the way TACC accelerated and braked before the 2019.5.15 software update.

Ever since, it’s jerky AF, with the energy graph on, you can see how it swings wildly from accel to decel - so much so that it makes me queasy.

I used to drive on TACC 90% of my freeway miles,’it’s been off ever since.

It wasn’t broke.... :mad:

I've heard conflicting things about using chill mode to chill out TACC mode.

Might be worth trying.

Some say that it doesn't impact TACC/AP at all.

Some say they get more efficient TACC/AP driving with it on.

I haven't tried it myself.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I had the same issues with 2019.5.15. After receiving 2019.8.3 last Thursday I can say that TACC and AS is performing way better, but certainly not perfect yet. Much smoother acceleration and deceleration and only one small case of phantom braking instead of 10 a day.

I'm taking my AP1 car in for service, then leaving on a 2500 mile trip. I sure hope they don't try to load this. I will not install it.

Anyone with AP1 having this same issue? I guess I'll have to ask what they are loading before they do it...

I’m having a significant safety problem with the auto steer on my Model S 2017 build, Software Version 50.6. While driving on the Florida Turnpike at 75 mph, I engage the auto steer program. The road is very straight for many miles. The auto steer started with small variations while keeping a straight line. The variations increased to swaying back and forth with the deviations increasing. I had to stop before the variations became a safety issue. I’m sure I’m not the only owner having an auto steer problem. What have been the responses from Tesla and what are the cures for the problem ?

Reactions: BPSoCal
What concerns me the most, after reading many posts about TACC and AS behavior, is the difference in experience we all get even though we're running the same version of software. It might be related to AP1 vs AP2.0 vs AP2.5 but still.....

My experience with TACC and AS is such that I wish they wouldn't touch it for a while. I am still eager to receive NoA, but hope they leave TACC and AS as is.

I'm taking my AP1 car in for service, then leaving on a 2500 mile trip. I sure hope they don't try to load this. I will not install it.

Anyone with AP1 having this same issue? I guess I'll have to ask what they are loading before they do it...

No problems here but I'm still on older firmware and use TACC daily so maybe I'll hold off if/when I do see an update. My car was in for service not long ago and I got a notification on my phone that there was an update, but it came back with the same firmware as it left with and I haven't had another update offer.

Well, after filing a dozen bug reports, got this email from Tesla Diagnostics:

“Reaching out to your from Diagnostic Support.

I have looked into your TACC issue and determined that your Model S needs to go to a Tesla service center for the issue to be duplicated and check some wire connections. Please schedule your Model S for a visit by calling the number below or use the self-scheduling feature on your Tesla account. Then let me know which Tesla service center you will be going to and I will attach my notes to the appointment.”

Unfortunately my appointment isn’t until end of April... so we’ll see.

Well, after filing a dozen bug reports, got this email from Tesla Diagnostics:

“Reaching out to your from Diagnostic Support.

I have looked into your TACC issue and determined that your Model S needs to go to a Tesla service center for the issue to be duplicated and check some wire connections. Please schedule your Model S for a visit by calling the number below or use the self-scheduling feature on your Tesla account. Then let me know which Tesla service center you will be going to and I will attach my notes to the appointment.”

Unfortunately my appointment isn’t until end of April... so we’ll see.

Haha, I doubt it.

Rumor has it that the .4 version fixes this issue.

I did encounter TACC that wasn't smooth at all on the journey back from Portland. Traffic was acting weird, but usually TACC will buffer most of that out with a good setting. But, nothing was working. I got so desperate I tried a setting of 1 (the car was getting way carried away with how far behind someone it wanted). Normally I use a setting of 3-5 depending on traffic.

We got an update last night but the update note screen is blank. We went from a 2018.? to 2019.8.4. Anyone else have the release notes screen blank? It just says release notes at the top of the screen but nothing in the big box that usually says what's in this update. Not even a minor updates etc statement.

We did notice that AP drove way too close the center line. Next lane cars felt way too close. Wish we could choose where the car stays in AP. I'd love having the car closer to the right on single lane roads and closer to the left on highways. I almost always use the far left lane on highways. Feels easier to defend bad drivers.

Last edited:

My AP1 is still on 2018.50.6 so the firmware is 4.5 months old. I don't think Tesla has anything newer for AP1 so you should not have any of the issues with newer firmware.

TACC seems to alternate between grandma acceleration from the lights, and
"cruise, cruise, OMG SLOW DOWN NOW!, cruise cruise, ....".
Not to mention the ever-present hard braking just to keep the people behind you on their toes.

TACC has become pretty uncomfortable for any passengers in the car.

Given Tesla is about to demo FSD (on the 19th), they really should have following
a car in a straight line working well. Not so much yet.

Haha, I doubt it.

Rumor has it that the .4 version fixes this issue.

I did encounter TACC that wasn't smooth at all on the journey back from Portland. Traffic was acting weird, but usually TACC will buffer most of that out with a good setting. But, nothing was working. I got so desperate I tried a setting of 1 (the car was getting way carried away with how far behind someone it wanted). Normally I use a setting of 3-5 depending on traffic.

Yeah, this theory that it’s hardware related is a bridge too far. Coincidentally this started happening for me the day 5.15 was installed. Hmmm.