Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW while even I thought @neroden was going nuts on service, now I am seeing the negative service sentiment creep more and more mainstream. Non automotive comment areas, even on LinkedIn, people saying if you buy a Tesla you won't be able to get it repaired quickly.

This is a narrative problem. Neroden is right once again.
Unfortunately, this is true once again. My mom's 3 got tapped where the rear panel and passenger side back door meet. Tesla said they do not do body repairs, so the third party told her it will be at least two weeks, if not more, no timeline guarantee.....

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Unfortunately, this is true once again. My mom's 3 got tapped where the rear panel and passenger side back door meet. Tesla said they do not do body repairs, so the third party told her it will be at least two weeks, if not more, no timeline guarantee.....
My experience was from a collision repair from our 2016 model X at a third party repair shop. Parts came much sooner than expected by me or the repair shop, within a week.

It's the classic marketing problem of 1 dissatisfied customer telling 10 people but a happy customer telling 1 person.
Telsa does need to improve there but the reality isn't as bad as people think. My big question is why are they unable to properly stock parts? If the factories are really production limited raise the damn price of the cars and devote a few runs to spare parts. I don't get it.

It's not the manufacturing of the parts that's the problem. It's the storage. Not every service center can have every part, in every color, in stock. And with production expanding as quickly as it is, even the delivery center can run out of parts. This is not unique to Tesla (although the higher volume cars do have an advantage). Even Mazda, who is many times the size of Tesla, has parts supply issues, especially on newer model cars. And even the larger OEM's run into this occasionally. Tesla has been steadily improving but when you sell cars this nice, at this low of volume, for such a low price, it's necessary to keep a cap on expenditures for storing and stocking parts.

It amazes me how people act like Tesla is the only major company with issues around customer service and parts. Fortunately, they are constantly improving. A company like this is not built over-night and when you grow from a small company to a large company there are always scaling issues (because what works best at a low volume will not be the best solution at high volume). It's not easy to scale a company, particularly a modern auto manufacturer. People who think otherwise are simply showing how naive they are.

At one point, I think Tesla said they were designing their own car carrier trailers. I have not seen anything that looks unique yet, but I can see Tesla making car carriers that have some space for parts as well as cars. This would seem to be an obvious possibility for a corporate fleet.

This sounds like every car repair I've ever had regardless of brand.

It's not the manufacturing of the parts that's the problem. It's the storage. Not every service center can have every part, in every color, in stock. And with production expanding as quickly as it is, even the delivery center can run out of parts. This is not unique to Tesla (although the higher volume cars do have an advantage). Even Mazda, who is many times the size of Tesla, has parts supply issues, especially on newer model cars. And even the larger OEM's run into this occasionally. Tesla has been steadily improving but when you sell cars this nice, at this low of volume, for such a low price, it's necessary to keep a cap on expenditures for storing and stocking parts.

It amazes me how people act like Tesla is the only major company with issues around customer service and parts. Fortunately, they are constantly improving. A company like this is not built over-night and when you grow from a small company to a large company there are always scaling issues (because what works best at a low volume will not be the best solution at high volume). It's not easy to scale a company, particularly a modern auto manufacturer. People who think otherwise are simply showing how naive they are.

I also believe the issue is not a lack of parts but a distribution problem (getting parts to a service center or repair shop in time). It looks like Tesla is in the process of adressing this, with a vital role for the new huge distribution center in Lathrop, but also the new one in Tilburg. I don’t believe it is completely operational or fully stocked yet. They also need to get the shipping network and procedures up and running.

It's not the manufacturing of the parts that's the problem. It's the storage. Not every service center can have every part, in every color, in stock. And with production expanding as quickly as it is, even the delivery center can run out of parts. e they are.
I find this hard to believe. Why would it take weeks to months to get a new windshield then? It took me a month. Others far longer. If it's just storage then it should be a week to get one moved from CA to KS.

Honestly if this is a problem of logistics that looks even worse. There are only so many commonly replaced parts on a Model 3 for example. If these parts are all sitting in a warehouse and just can't be shipped properly that's an awful failure.

Edit. I had front break pads on order for several months and never received them. Wound up replacing with aftermarket.

This sounds like every car repair I've ever had regardless of brand.
Yeah, but this is different now.

1) there is a possibility of your EV in the shop for awhile (with no timeline) and driving around a polluting ICE.
2) Now you have to pay for gas which is more expensive than electricity.

I'm not sure how the logistics work for the parts department and right now I don't have a dog in this fight since it's not my car, but obviously it has a mental effect on my mom because she doesn't want to give up her car to be repaired.

BTW while even I thought @neroden was going nuts on service, now I am seeing the negative service sentiment creep more and more mainstream. Non automotive comment areas, even on LinkedIn, people saying if you buy a Tesla you won't be able to get it repaired quickly.

This is a narrative problem. Neroden is right once again.

It is not a narrative problem since it is the truth. On top of that, a truth that has been spread around to everyone.

Even the most commonly replaced parts like windows and break pads requires 3 months.

I am sure every tesla owner goes into it thinking this must not be true, but turns into Neroden when proven to be true. The thing is, I was expecting delays sure. Maybe a month. But 3 months is on par with ridiculous. Finding out that tesla does not do repairs with insurance was surprise, finding a body shop that can do all the repairs was painful. Then being told the wait is 3 months will ptobably cause ppl to rethink the cost of owning a tesla.

I find this hard to believe. Why would it take weeks to months to get a new windshield then? It took me a month. Others far longer. If it's just storage then it should be a week to get one moved from CA to KS.

Obviously, it's a problem of stocking and distribution.

I've ordered parts for my Volvo that I patiently waited months for only to be told they hadn't been ordered. That was an employee level problem. In Tesla's case, it's probably a mix of everything from growing pains while they are in transition to mistakes at the employee level. But you're not going to get perfection even with established players with zero growth. It's not surprising that a company rapidly growing sales and transitioning to a new distribution network is going to experience problems. It would be really strange if they were able to pull this off without a problem. Now that would be worth talking about!

Reactions: Nocturnal
At one point, I think Tesla said they were designing their own car carrier trailers. I have not seen anything that looks unique yet, but I can see Tesla making car carriers that have some space for parts as well as cars. This would seem to be an obvious possibility for a corporate fleet.

That is a good suggestion...

All problems have a solution, and solutions require :- thinking, time and money..

For parts they can store commonly used parts at a service centre, less frequently used parts at a statewide or regional parts centre... and finally rarely used parts at a big central warehouse..

For rarely used parts they should be able to do warehouse to service centre in 1 week....

The solution to a lot of problems is fixing their IT systems, they should have a central database of the service history of all cars, they should know what parts are required where and by when and they should know what service jobs are dependent of parts deliveries and when those jobs are scheduled.

If it works well, the customer should get a text when the part is dispatched with an ETA and a text when the part arrives at service...
Get the IT side working well, that is half the battle...

Most customers are a lot happier when they are kept informed..

What he said. It's true that we won't know the full story until we see Tesla's response filing. But what Walmart has claimed is clearly an extremely poorly-managed relationship by Tesla with a large customer whose Tesla-installed locations were literally burning. And that relationship was poorly managed over the course of years.

This is not to say that Tesla wasn't working behind the scenes to repair the situation, or that Tesla doesn't have a reasonable explanation for the conflagrations. But the filing rings true to me, having followed Tesla for nearly a decade and having watched them perform the same gross mismanagement of relationships with customers across their businesses for the majority of that time. (See the ridiculous fiasco of the S/X yellowing screens being called a wear item for one recent, ongoing example.)

Tesla's track record is terrible communication. Walmart claims terrible communication. Benefit of the doubt is earned, and Tesla doesn't get it for that particular claim. I'm not drawing any conclusions on the root cause of the fires. Just expressing that it seems clear to me that Tesla dropped the [bowling] ball on their foot with how they handled this thus far.

Those who follow me know better than to claim anything but Tesla support coming from me. Hell, Tesla Energy is installing panels on my roof tomorrow. But they're not infallible, and they routinely make mistakes. This is clearly one of those mistakes, even if Tesla is ultimately largely cleared with regard to the cause of the fires.

The irrational fanatical fanboyism here has gotten far out of control lately. I miss @neroden, @DaveT, etc.
I know @neroden got banned, but did he also sell his shares?

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
It's simple really, he thinks Tesla has had a long term issue with service, has no plan in sight to fix it, and thinks it will kill the company. He's been saying this for a while, finally decided he'd had enough and got out.
Understood, not an unreasonable position.

That said, Elon can turn on a dime. If service becomes a real threat he will sort it out. If it was more than an annoyance to a minority of owners he already would have.

Reactions: saniflash