Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if you follow the tweeter feeds, it looks like NextMove had problems getting parts for customer damaged cars, which is not surprising given the fact that American customers have been having that problem since the first Model S. What is more disturbing is their claim that they could no longer get a person to talk to. I had the same problem trying to escalate my customer service concerns. You can't get anyone beyond your immediate service center. Live chat no longer exists. You send a request for information via the website, and a week later you still don't have a reply. I really don't know what has happened to customer service beyond the local service centers. But we can't expect a car rental company to keep buying Teslas if they can't keep them in the rental pool to make money.

Last edited:
Well, if you follow the tweeter feeds, it looks like NextMove had problems getting parts for customer damaged cars, which is not surprising given the fact that American customers have been having that problem since the first Model S. What is more disturbing is their claim that they could no longer get a person to talk to. I had the same problem trying to escalate my customer service concerns. You can't get anyone beyond your immediate service center. Live chat no longer exists. You send a request for information via the website, and a week later you still don't have a reply. I really don't know what has happened to customer service beyond the local service centers. But we can't expect a car rental company to keep buying Teslas if they can't keep them in the rental pool to make money.

I am a huge Tesla fan but I think it would be nuts to own a fleet of Tesla’s as rentals or taxis unless

a. your operation was built next to a Tesla service centre
b. you had a picture of the manager of said service centre with a goat.

I think Tesla will eventually solve their service issues but until then relying on a Tesla as part of a revenue scheme is nuts.

Of even greater importance is the nextmove was renting these cars to many Tesla prospects that want a long-term test drive. Effectively, they were a marketing arm for Tesla Germany . . . and Tesla knocked them over, kicked sand in their face, and walked away?!?

This will have an impact in an increasingly competitive environment, and it will HURT the value of TSLA.

Heads need to roll.

Elon: FIX THIS!

First, apologize.

Second, get all of nextmove's friggin' cars fixed, to include the new seat from a bad new car delivery from what, over a YEAR AGO?!? (What is wrong with these people?!? Grossly UNsat.)

Third, spend money to establish a MASSIVE EU parts depot. Publicize extensively, and promise "Same or Next Day parts delivery on 98% of orders."

Fourth, get another 85 Model 3's delivered to Germany. Go over them with a fine tooth comb. Twice.

Fifth, offer them to nextmove with a "spiff" of some sort for all the BS they've had to put up with for the past several years, perhaps a guaranteed fleet of loaners so that when a car is out of service (which WILL be the case, sadly) nextmove can have one available right away for their business fleet, to meet their customer obligations. (A car out of service means money is being lost.)

Sixth, apologize again.

Problem solved.

This isn't that hard.

FIX IT.

Well, here’s your Moderator with....yep, a Service Issue story.

I am once again in Fairbanks - that’s a 400 mile/650km round trip - because after FIVE WEEKS in service, they still haven’t fixed my Ford F-350. “We’re just waiting for a part”.
Not only that, but their assertion that it would be ready to be picked up has caused me to make this trip twice.

Did I get the impression that some of you were claiming it was Tesla who was having teething pains?

I am once again in Fairbanks - that’s a 400 mile/650km round trip - because after FIVE WEEKS in service, they still haven’t fixed my Ford F-350. “We’re just waiting for a part”.
Not only that, but their assertion that it would be ready to be picked up has caused me to make this trip twice.

Did I get the impression that some of you were claiming it was Tesla who was having teething pains?

Fairbanks, as in Fairbanks Alaska? On top of that, you’re 200 miles away from Fairbanks. That’s comparing apples to oranges. Does Amazon even have 2-day Prime there? (Actually, 2-day is old school now. I’m starting to expect next day shipping on many items from Amazon these days).

In CA, I could get most parts for my uncle’s Ford trucks (business) within 1-2 business days.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand

Why did you take it to Tesla for service?

:)
/s

Why did you take it to Tesla for service?

:)
/s

Question #2: Why did these posts not get moved out of this thread?:rolleyes:

It wasn't this way last year for us. But to update my windshield experience... Tesla eMailed me an invoice not a receipt. Allstate insurance won't honor unless it shows paid. I called Tempe Service 2x, couldn't get through so left msg on the exact problem with my contact info. Over a week has passed, no response from Tesla. Maybe they called and I thought it was spam, but just eMail the darn receipt or leave a msg.

Sales couldn't help me but suggested I go to the SC for the receipt, so I will and not a big problem. Just annoying and not what it used to be. If you move away from phone support, you need alternate channels and I don't think they're all getting back filled. But it is very dynamic so tomorrow will be completely new again.

This is not a rag on Tesla, in fact we just signed on for 8kW+2PWs solar yesterday through Tesla because I trust them over other businesses that might not be around (plus the app is bad a** if you haven't seen it yet). That trust thing is powerful, so I justify some of my temperament because I also want the stock to go up and change is hard. But then there are some here that make a valid point about how service is damaging Tesla's reputation. To that I say it's hardly a match against the explosion caused by HUGE demand on their products.

So I see a trade-off. As long as growth and the brand trust is not impeding growth, we're going to be fine. Tesla won't fail because of this as it stands now. I happen to think they're milking the social network for complimentary support, maybe a bit much. But I also ragged on Tesla for having zero useful instruction on how to drive my car early last year. I learned more from this forum than from Tesla, not much change there. Try calling Facebook. Not a car company? No but is Tesla really or is it a software platform that does match the service style here?

I have made an appointment via the app for the service center and also for the mobile tech. Apparently, if a job does not require heavy lifting or technical issues, Tesla would prefer to send the mobile tech to your home or work.

The process is a little tedious, but it has worked both times. It really just schedules the appointment after you describe the issue(s). It gives you a choice of arrival times on a particular date.

Many issues are hard-coded like 12V battery, door and window problems, and the like. Then there is the "other" category which requires a written description of the problem.

It seems to be OK. But I am old-school, so it feels impersonal.

Our service center is new, so appointments for service in house are only a week or less out. Mobile service is about two weeks out. We shall see as the number of vehicles increases around here (best guess is that there are >750 within 100 miles) if appointments resemble Bay Area locations with the first available being 45 days or more.

Here is the video from NextMove that details their service issues, or at least the NextMove side of the story:-

It is fairly sobering viewing, and I don't blame NextMove for setting high standards...

I am hoping I don't have problems with my car, but I'm getting White (SR+) and I'm not overly fussy about paint.

I realise Tesla can't in general treat NextMove differently to other customers, and I understand why Tesla wants to mostly deliver cars and fix minor issues later.

However, there is one minor change they could make, allow NextMove to accept cars in batches of 10 and have 12 candidate cars... (2 standby). My hunch is with improved quality standards, NextMove would take at least 7-8 most of the time, work on the other perhaps 2-3 and a later delivery inspection could be scheduled...

If this was on a regular schedule of say 10 cars per month it would flow...

I'm glad they mentioned the App, booking via the App is essential or so it seems...

I still think service can and will be sorted out, but the NextMove video is a well deserved kick up the rear.

I hope Tesla take notice and I hope they sort it out with NextMove, properly handled NextMove are an asset.

IMO the issue isn't cars having minor issues at delivery, while regrettable, that is very hard to totally avoid, what is needed is proactive follow up from Tesla and timely resolution...

All problems should be noted and Tesla should reach out and schedule service ASAP after delivery. Once the new customer has a service date they should be able to relax and enjoy the car, so getting a date is most important...

Last edited:
However, there is one minor change they could make, allow NextMove to accept cars in batches of 10 and have 12 candidate cars... (2 standby). My hunch is with improved quality standards, NextMove would take at least 7-8 most of the time, work on the other perhaps 2-3 and a later delivery inspection could be scheduled...
Tesla has enough on their plate. I would leave the order cancelled and let Tesla fix their parts and service before even catering to any rental business. Rentals will come in for more damaged parts than the average car so more service. Their issues won't just go away when Nextmove gets vehicles in fewer numbers. Nextmove has made complaints about S and X and long wait times on parts. So they had problems even before the Model 3. There was another rental company that closed up shop and made allegations that it was all due to service issues with Tesla. Not sure if this is an issue specifically in international markets, but Tesla rentals seems to be a difficult business.

Tesla has enough on their plate. I would leave the order cancelled and let Tesla fix their parts and service before even catering to any rental business. Rentals will come in for more damaged parts than the average car so more service. Their issues won't just go away when Nextmove gets vehicles in fewer numbers. Nextmove has made complaints about S and X and long wait times on parts. So they had problems even before the Model 3. There was another rental company that closed up shop and made allegations that it was all due to service issues with Tesla. Not sure if this is an issue specifically in international markets, but Tesla rentals seems to be a difficult business.

This suggestion was to address specific issue of them turning up to get a single car then finding it isn't right

NextMove themselves wanted this type of batch delivery for this purpose..(Less wasted time)

Rental companies have less tolerance for minor cosmetic issues, they want the car to be perfect initially...
And you are right, they have less tolerance in relation to the car being off the road for service.

All of their other Model 3 problems were mainly to do with being an early adopter of Model 3, and the rushed end of quarter delivery process.

For Model 3 improved QA on the cars and software will help.. But my hunch many of their software issues where earlier versions of the software...i.e it is improving overtime... I'm sure QA and build quality are improving, we know they are...

For parts (all cars) they need to stockpile parts in advance in the right locations.

Again I don't think the problems are overly difficult to solve... any special arrangement with NextMove would just involve a handful of German delivery locations... and they could schedule the bulk deliveries for a quieter time.

Parts, general QA, service and communication they need to fix for all customers....

I must stress that NextMove themselves have to show the some flexibility and work with Tesla, there are always 2 sides to every story.

Last edited: