Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The following parts have been ordered to try and fix my problem:-
  • ASY, DRIVE UNIT, RAVEN, MS
    Part #: 1478000-00-D
    Order Date: April 19, 2021
  • FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
    Part #: 1138040-00-B
  • FRONT HALF SHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
    Part #: 1138042-00-B

Half shafts for the 3rd time, but also a new Drive Unit this time as well so hopefully this will fix the problem.
Note that from your previous post, if you persist with constant repairs, Tesla MIGHT replace the car without having to file a lemon law complaint.

Simply draft a data-filled letter with the number of issues documented, then drop it off or email it to your local SC manager; can't hurt to ask.

If no response, then file a formal lemon law complaint.

Hope you have a good outcome!

With no service center on Maui, and no lift available for the rangers here, I've been holding back on having my Model S Raven Performance (May 2019 build) fixed for this problem, until I could reasonably go without. I finally scheduled service a few weeks ago, and it should arrive at the Honolulu Service Center soon. I noticed that the part numbers that were ordered for it do not match others that I have seen recently in this thread, so I am holding out hope that my repair will actually fix the problem. Time will tell, but I will let anyone following this thread know how it goes. Below are the parts that were ordered. I also noticed that the part numbers do not specifically reference the Model S, which is interesting.

CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F
Part #: 1055366-00-H
Order Date: July 14, 2021

HALFSHAFT ASSEMBLY, FRONT, LEFT HAND SIDE
Part #: 1626636-00-A

HALFSHAFT ASSEMBLY, FRONT, RIGHT HAND SIDE
Part #: 1626638-00-A

With no service center on Maui, and no lift available for the rangers here, I've been holding back on having my Model S Raven Performance (May 2019 build) fixed for this problem, until I could reasonably go without. I finally scheduled service a few weeks ago, and it should arrive at the Honolulu Service Center soon. I noticed that the part numbers that were ordered for it do not match others that I have seen recently in this thread, so I am holding out hope that my repair will actually fix the problem. Time will tell, but I will let anyone following this thread know how it goes. Below are the parts that were ordered. I also noticed that the part numbers do not specifically reference the Model S, which is interesting.

hmm, wonder if these are part numbers for the Plaid. I know the rear halfshafts will be different, but the fronts? Anyone have time to do some research?

Those are the correct part numbers from the most recent service bulletin:

And they are for the S.

• Informative
Reactions: Polly Wog
I was away on travel when they finished my car, so wasn't able to test the "fix" until Tuesday. For now, everything is fine and the shudder is gone. As this thread has illustrated, several owners reported that after a repair, the car was fine and then went back to having the problem. I will report back over time in this thread whether or not the shudder returns. Here's to hoping that it does not! :)

I was away on travel when they finished my car, so wasn't able to test the "fix" until Tuesday. For now, everything is fine and the shudder is gone. As this thread has illustrated, several owners reported that after a repair, the car was fine and then went back to having the problem. I will report back over time in this thread whether or not the shudder returns. Here's to hoping that it does not! :)
Any updates 4 months later?

2016 P90DL here. Fellow acceleration rattle victim. I finally had the front half shafts replaced when I saw they would do it affordably BUT now I have a new problem. One wheel has way more torque than the other. It's causing it to slightly jerk left upon acceleration and jerk right upon deceleration. Low speeds, not a problem and it's barely noticeable. Above 60 is where it get a little unsettling if you don't expect it. Anyone understand the mechanics to diagnose this issue with the bulletin fix? This is assuming of course that my local shop mechanic at Tesla DID indeed replace both the left and the right shafts.

2016 P90DL here. Fellow acceleration rattle victim. I finally had the front half shafts replaced when I saw they would do it affordably BUT now I have a new problem. One wheel has way more torque than the other. It's causing it to slightly jerk left upon acceleration and jerk right upon deceleration. Low speeds, not a problem and it's barely noticeable. Above 60 is where it get a little unsettling if you don't expect it. Anyone understand the mechanics to diagnose this issue with the bulletin fix? This is assuming of course that my local shop mechanic at Tesla DID indeed replace both the left and the right shafts.
That sounds like you have some loose suspension components and they are shifting as you accelerate/decelerate. Best way is to put it on a lift to check the bolts and try to wiggle all the various pieces.

That sounds like you have some loose suspension components and they are shifting as you accelerate/decelerate. Best way is to put it on a lift to check the bolts and try to wiggle all the various pieces.
I have an update this morning!!!! Tesla says I need a new front passenger tire because it's at a 3 and the driver tire is at an 8. DUHHHHH. I replaced the tires at the same time last year. It's just going to keep burning tires up. I declined the tire but they did an alignment. Perhaps the alignment would tighten everything?

9825D8A3-D2D6-4E55-B9A0-B81FF9B11E1D.jpeg