Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center experience: trading my 3 in for a Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, interesting. I didn't know MB's version of AP auto changed lanes for HWY routing and was about to release the equivalent in city driving over the air, or a blind spot monitoring system that actually prevents you from hitting someone rather than blinking a light at you every time you pass a car. Have fun driving an hour every 3 months for oil changes and getting gas every week and dealing with the HIGHEST depreciation of any manufacturer.

Also have fun being an entitled a$$ when you MB dealership gives you the bill for out of warranty service.

My Honda accord Touring 2020 has everything what you said plus HUD with navi , you would really surprised what tech other cars have these days. Im not even going to mention Sirius XM,HIFI spot,wireless charger and all other goodies that M3 does not have.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla is changing their policy VERY often and never in favor to customer. People like my neighbor paid 130k for their car in 2016 expecting to have excellent customer service forever !! Only 2 years after that Tesla told her no more loaners!!
Imagine Audi, Mercedes... telling their customers no more loaners for you after they spent all that money for new car!!
Customers would NEVER buy same brand AGAIN!
Tesla did so many bad things to their customers and yet some people are defending it.
Someone mentioned here he sold his Mercedes because couldn't turn off oil change light! LOL ! Really?
And what you are going to do if Tesla tells you to come to their service in 3 WEEKS to fix your AC in hot Nevada weather?
People are just patetic

My Honda accord Touring 2020 has everything what you said plus HUD with navi , you would really surprised what tech other cars have these days. Im not even going to mention Sirius XM,HIFI spot,wireless charger and all other goodies that M3 does not have.

I'm not seeing anything at honda.com suggesting their system will change lanes for you (let alone change them on its own as needed or take exit ramps and navigate highway interchanges for you).

Since you say your Honda does so- can you link me to a manual or something showing those features?

at random:

- you can certainly contact amazon. I phone them all the time (they screw up a few times a month, lately; but the phone call always gets the problem fixed. always. impressive, actually; just wish I didn't have to call at all)

- my 'battery club' sigfile line is just a tongue-in-cheek passing comment about an old custom, or memory some people may have had. it was never a club, of course; it was a loyalty card kind of thing where you'd get one free battery a month if you came in and got your card stamped. the forum allows you to list your 'clubs' and this one came to mind ;) it means nothing more than that, and nothing less than that, as well.

Other dealerships I’ve bought from - including “premium” brands don’t offer loaners for single day service. They usually offer a shuttle ride. Works fine. Always has.

No different here, except the driver shuttling me around works for him/herself instead of Tesla. Whatever. Don’t care.

My Model 3 is significantly less expensive than the last few vehicles I’ve bought, but yet, the service is every bit as wonderful. Imagine that.

Anybody can have a bad service experience, whether it be at Tesla, Mercedes, BMW or any other manufacturer. If I sold my car every time I had a bad experience with a service appointment I would not own any one car for very long.

To be fair to the OP, the difference here is, if you live in a metropolitan area, there is probably another dealer you can find if the one you tries sucks. Which is not really the case with Tesla service. I have yet to take my car to an SC for service, and I realize the posts here are atypical and all that, but still there do seem to be a lot of them.

To be fair to the OP, the difference here is, if you live in a metropolitan area, there is probably another dealer you can find if the one you tries sucks. Which is not really the case with Tesla service. I have yet to take my car to an SC for service, and I realize the posts here are atypical and all that, but still there do seem to be a lot of them.

Perhaps. In theory since Tesla owns all of its service centers the quality of service you receive should be consistent. In practice a lot of it has to do with who manages the service center and how busy it is.

But within a one hour drive of my home I could choose between service centers located in Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Lake Forest, Buena Park, Carlsbad, Burbank, Los Angeles (Centinela), West Los Angeles (Santa Monica), Torrance, or Van Nuys. That is ten different locations.

Which is probably about the same number of locations of independent Mercedes or BMW dealers within an hour drive of my home. So if I was having a consistently bad experience with one of the service centers, I would just try another one and see if it gets any better.

If you get in into argument with someone in Tesla service center you always have to do what he say. Because there is NO alternative. Only ONE service center in 200 mile radius here. You cant go even to independent shops. You are stuck with that bad service person. If he says it takes 3 weeks to make appointment for AC in HOT Nevada weather you have to do what he says. Is that right tesla fun boys ?
Do you agree with that?
You have family with 2 children and you are driving NEW car without AC for 3 weeks!!
Is that right? I don't know what is not clear here. Really don't know

Other dealerships I’ve bought from - including “premium” brands don’t offer loaners for single day service. They usually offer a shuttle ride. Works fine. Always has.

No different here, except the driver shuttling me around works for him/herself instead of Tesla. Whatever. Don’t care.

My Model 3 is significantly less expensive than the last few vehicles I’ve bought, but yet, the service is every bit as wonderful. Imagine that.

Man you really are missing point here and you guys acting like you never owned car before.
Nobody here is talking about ONE service day.
We are talking about weeks or months.
You leave your car for appointment and they hold you car for 7 days before even look at it. Then another 2 weeks to fix it.
What you are going to drive for that 3 weeks? UBER??
Cmon

But within a one hour drive of my home I could choose between service centers located in Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Lake Forest, Buena Park, Carlsbad, Burbank, Los Angeles (Centinela), West Los Angeles (Santa Monica), Torrance, or Van Nuys. That is ten different locations.

Which is probably about the same number of locations of independent Mercedes or BMW dealers within an hour drive of my home. So if I was having a consistently bad experience with one of the service centers, I would just try another one and see if it gets any better.

FWIW, that specific situation is pretty unique to California.

21 states have zero service centers.

Another 11 have one in the entire state.

Another 6 have 2 (sometimes on opposite ends of the state)

Leaving only 11 states with more than 2....and for most of those it's only because they have 3.

NOBODY but CA has 10+

Last edited:

Well, yes, and of course LA and SF are prime territory for Tesla, but for a lot of the country there is a far more restricted choice. Even in Seattle metropolitan area, with a very large Tesla population (chem hydro electricity), there are only two SCs.

I'm not saying the old traditional dealership model is better (shudders at the thought), but the SC model has its problems. Growing pains, to be sure, but lets admit that they exist, otherwise they won't get fixed (the squeaky wheel and all that...).

Man you really are missing point here and you guys acting like you never owned car before.
Nobody here is talking about ONE service day.
We are talking about weeks or months.
You leave your car for appointment and they hold you car for 7 days before even look at it. Then another 2 weeks to fix it.
What you are going to drive for that 3 weeks? UBER??
Cmon

I’m not the one missing the point; you’re the one not paying attention. I specifically pointed out earlier that my Tesla service center has a 48 hour policy - they specifically texted that to me before a service appointment. (Less than 48 hrs gets Uber; beyond that gets a loaner.)

I said IN WHAT YOU QUOTED I was talking about “single day service”.

But it’s clear you’re going to tell whatever narrative you want, facts be damned. Enjoy.

FWIW, that specific situation is pretty unique to California.

21 states have zero service centers.

Another 11 have one in the entire state.

Another 6 have 2 (sometimes on opposite ends of the state)

Leaving only 11 states with more than 2....and for most of those it's only because they have 3.

NOBODY but CA has 10+

No doubt California is a good place to be a Tesla owner.

Warm weather, so no issues with losing range in cold weather.

Very expensive gas but relatively cheap electricity.

California rebates, utitility rebates. Solar power if desired. And lots of service centers, sales locations, and superchargers.

There is good reasons for why so many Tesla owners live in California.

But for the states that have one Tesla service center, how many BMW or Mercedes dealers are within an hour drive of the average home? Perhaps more than Tesla, but a lot more?

But for the states that have one Tesla service center, how many BMW or Mercedes dealers are within an hour drive of the average home? Perhaps more than Tesla, but a lot more?

NC has 2 service centers- roughly 2.5-3 hours apart depending on traffic....Raleigh and Matthews (near Charlotte)

BMW has dealers in Durham, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, Charlotte, ANOTHER in Charlotte, Wilmington, Kinston, Asheville...I stopped at 10, might be more.

• Funny
NC has 2 service centers- roughly 2.5-3 hours apart depending on traffic....Raleigh and Matthews (near Charlotte)

BMW has dealers in Durham, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, Charlotte, ANOTHER in Charlotte, Wilmington, Kinston, Asheville...I stopped at 10, might be more.

And what is the lead time right now to get an appointment for service at your Tesla service center?

• Funny
FWIW, the mainstream auto manufacturers do not have loaners. The dealers have loaners. It’s a service the DEALERS provide to their customers. This matters (IMO). I spoke to just about every Audi dealer in Texas prior buying my BMW. Why? There were no local Audi dealers, so I was trying to figure out what the plan of action would be when an Audi broke. The answer ranged wildly and is why I bought a BMW.

Looks like about 5 days for the nearest...10 days at the other one in the state further away.

Not too bad...

We were running 3-4 weeks for an appointment in Costa Mesa before they opened up service centers in Santa Ana and Lake Forest. I imagine they monitor the lead times and consider opening new locations when the lead times exceed a certain threshold.

• Funny