Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prices are sky high for a car that needs "little to no maintenance."

Side note, on a recent test drive, the salesman said service is not required for the vehicle. I doubled down and asked if the warranty was still valid even if I never got service for 8 years. He said correct. Truth to this?

I understand some service is likely good and beneficial for the life of the car, but yearly seems excessive other than a tire rotation, etc.

Hmm, I just had my first annual service and it was $500. That being said, they did check a lot of things, replace obvious stuff like wipers, and air filters, and one I didn't realize existed: transmission fluid.

I certainly would not want to buy an ICE car that had not received any maintenance for 4 years and been driven the whole time. Tesla makes amazing cars, but if they say it should have maintenance once a year, I'm going to take them at their word.

Reactions: xkwizit
Hmm, I just had my first annual service and it was $500. That being said, they did check a lot of things, replace obvious stuff like wipers, and air filters, and one I didn't realize existed: transmission fluid.
They probably upsold you on a alignment too, as that is $105, just like a typical car dealership.

Side note, on a recent test drive, the salesman said service is not required for the vehicle. I doubled down and asked if the warranty was still valid even if I never got service for 8 years. He said correct. Truth to this?

Yes, the annual service is not required for the warranty. This is actual a federal law, unless they can prove that a lack of service actually caused the warranty failure.

• Disagree
They should obviously drop the "little or no maintenance" spiel from their sales pitch, then. It's no different than any other car I've owned.

Not exactly... Depends on how you want to spin it... I know plenty of ICE owners who still pop the hood to check their oil and such every time they fill up with gas so using that lens it's not hard to jump to "little or no maintenance"...

It's not that I don't agree with you in principle but I won't go as far as to say "it's no different than any other car I've owned"...

Jeff

Reactions: xkwizit and BerTX
Just went for 12.5k first service this week (Sunnyvale, CA) - $550 with the alignment that I thought I might need. They also installed a spoiler for me at no charge and upgraded the software on my Chademo adapter. Seemed fair as I expected to pay for the spoiler install.

just finished 2nd service $787. Here's what was done and found...
1- Removed all bolts for the arm rest and applied thread locker. Then re-installed armrest
2 - Four Wheel Alignment - Adjust Only (Coil Suspension)
3 - WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - DRIVER SIDE, WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - PASSENGER, BATTERY LITHIUM COIN 3V 20MM, Carbon filter, R134A REFRIGERANT, BRAKE FLUID DOW SERVICE 1 QT, Desiccant Bag - Subcool Condenser, 37g
4 - Driver window wasn't going up; Installed new left front window regulator assembly. Adjusted, calibrated and then tested operation of the window.
5 - Replace LH Front Door Handle Seal, Re-positioned door handle backing plate, installed 4 fasteners into backing plate

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Everything is relative. I would not consider the cost outrageous considering what you paid for the car. I have owned other luxury cars and could never get out of the service department after annual maintenance for less than $1,000

Just went for 12.5k first service this week (Sunnyvale, CA) - $550 with the alignment that I thought I might need. They also installed a spoiler for me at no charge and upgraded the software on my Chademo adapter. Seemed fair as I expected to pay for the spoiler install.
What? I'm impressed.