Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service manager statement: P3D has a different drive unit than 3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CPU bin analogy makes the most sense and I would bet is the case.

“Same chip, different bin” is sold as a Ryzen 1800X and sold as a 1800.

Initially, maybe they had to sort it as some could be 1800X and some could be 1800.

If ALL chips now meet 1800X specifications than no bin needed.

Musk would not be a liar as production changed post tweet.

Thread title is unintentionally misleading but glad OP isn’t getting raked over his good intentions.

“Secured” is more accurate than confirmed in this case.

Reactions: super20g
A Tesla employee confirmed today that I won the Mega-Millions Lottery... I just checked my numbers and for some reason I didn't win :rolleyes:

The employees would be better off saying, Ma'am or Sir, That is a very good question, unfortunately due to the proprietary nature of the Model 3 the company does not disclose to the local team how the P3D's are built. Inside voice can say - "Dude - of course its the same damn part - we aren't making 4 difference motors for a mass production car". Software controls everything on this car including engine output. They could put a V12 engine in every car and limit it to 4 cylinders just like they do with the larger batteries....

Last edited:
There is only 1 part number.

parts.JPG

A Tesla employee confirmed today that I won the Mega-Millions Lottery... I just checked my numbers and for some reason I didn't win :rolleyes:

The employees would be better off saying, Ma'am or Sir, That is a very good question, unfortunately due to the proprietary nature of the Model 3 the company does not disclose to the local team how the P3D's are built. Inside voice can say - "Dude - of course its the same damn part - we aren't making 4 difference motors for a mass production car". Software controls everything on this car including engine output. They could put a V12 engine in every car and limit it to 4 cylinders just like they do with the larger batteries....

I’d pull you off the sales floor and put you in vehicle detail. :D

Can’t be telling customers these things.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Thread title is unintentionally misleading but glad OP isn’t getting raked over his good intentions. “Secured” is more accurate than confirmed in this case.

Sorry about that. Thanks for not raking me over the coals. Now I realize just because a Tesla service manager looks into and double checks something for you it doesn't necessarily mean confirmed... I am still hoping he provided accurate information but man this is sure confusing to know what exactly is the honest difference between a 3D and P3D- with all the theories and disinformation floating around.

From teardown videos on youtube, the motors are the same, its just the firmware that gets loaded that is different.

Absolutely nothing, in terms of 'physically different units', is confirmed in this thread..

fingers crossed OP gets to keep the p3d firmware, but my guess would be it will switch to the purchased AWD firmware when it gets sent a major OTA update.

This is like some member in the X forum claiming a “GREAT news” from local service center that a new half shaft part will come out “soon” to solve the acceleration shudder / vibration. It’s been 3 months without any actual updated part showing up.

Sorry about that. Thanks for not raking me over the coals. Now I realize just because a Tesla service manager looks into and double checks something for you it doesn't necessarily mean confirmed... I am still hoping he provided accurate information but man this is sure confusing to know what exactly is the honest difference between a 3D and P3D- with all the theories and disinformation floating around.

@ohmman - paging moderator to change title so you don't get slaughtered. :D Suggest title as "Tesla employee says P3D has a different drive unit than D"

[[ TEG mod edit: I changed the title... ]]

People gotta remember Tesla has 40,000 employees. Good apples, bad apples, knowledgeable, not knowledgeable people.

Elon even contradicts himself from time to time. Not in bad faith but it happens when a tweet reaches millions of people in seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: super20g
fingers crossed OP gets to keep the p3d firmware, but my guess would be it will switch to the purchased AWD firmware when it gets sent a major OTA update.

Mine is just a plain ol AWD... If they accidentally loaded the P software on mine I'd be out cruising around town! :)

I have heard of a few people on here and Reddit that claim to have the P software when they paid for an AWD... Enough accounts that I assume at least some are credible. Lucky ducks.

Last edited:
I ordered a regular AWD. I paid for an AWD. All paperwork and window stickers say nothing about P. I have no door stickers that I can find that say anything informative about the build type.

But I definitely have red underlines under dual motor on the car screen and my app, and I can definitely put it "sport" acceleration. And based on some very unscientific 0-60 tests, I'm getting low 3 seconds. Car is not P+, I have no red brakes, etc.

So while this seems to be great, I do have lingering concerns about the possibility that this is P software put on a car that was not made to handle it.

So which is it?:

1. They put P software on non-P hardware.
2. They put P software on P hardware.
3. They put P software on the hardware and there is no P or nonP hardware, just hardware.

Sound like you won the Tesla Powerball. With all the misinformation I am not sure you are going to get any accurate answers here, but if this was mine, I would just drive it till the wheels fall off.

10mm "cut the spring drop" , Spoiler, Metal Pedals, 55 lbs 20 inch wheels with P4S's , larger brakes and the promise of track mode down the road that will kill your resale value, once people realize you have been beating the crap out of the car doing full throttle launches around a track overheating the battery and 10 MPH+ top end to 155 MPH, which will get you jail time on the open road, if you ever get caught using it. I really think the P3D- is the steal of a deal in this line-up both for street performance and customization. I bet in the end it has a better resale value too, due the track abuse the P3D+'s will ultimately face.

• Disagree
Reactions: outie
10mm "cut the spring drop" , Spoiler, Metal Pedals, 55 lbs 20 inch wheels with P4S's , larger brakes and the promise of track mode down the road that will kill your resale value, once people realize you have been beating the crap out of the car doing full throttle launches around a track overheating the battery and 10 MPH+ top end to 155 MPH, which will get you jail time on the open road, if you ever get caught using it. I really think the P3D- is the steal of a deal in this line-up both for street performance and customization. I bet in the end it has a better resale value too, due the track abuse the P3D+'s will ultimately face.

You are discussing P3D- vs P3D+. I was interested in 3D vs P3D- differences. Agree that P3D- would be where my money would be, and customize for individual needs.