Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual Subscriptions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone. I tried httrack as well. No dice. It looks like the main menu system is java based so nothing to grab there. The individual pages are also java. The only portion that is html is the "printer friendly" page, and I believe those are called from the database when requested.

They are pretty smart. All the pages pulled require scrolling in a small window so automated screen capture software wont work either.

Not only that but when I view the cached html files they are just jibberish.

I would post screen shots but since Tesla browses this forum Id rather not ruffle too many feathers

Yep, the patents thing was most certainly a publicity stunt.

The service manual site used to be a bunch of static HTML pages, but they recently modified it to be UIDs generated on the fly to make it pretty much a royal PITA to save any significant portions of it.

I mean, this is stuff that really should just be available to everyone. But I guess it's mostly useless info anyway. Just about every procedure involves "Perform a firmware update" or something equally impossible to do without Tesla's proprietary software "Toolbox" that they aren't putting up for download or anything.

Can you shrink each service manual page to fit inside of a single window? If so, you can take a screen shot of the whole window on a Mac and store all the files in a folder. Then you can assemble all of those files into a PDF by dragging them to Adobe Acrobat. Next, apply a crop to all pages that will remove all of the extraneous window elements so all you see is the content. It's a bit labor intensive at first, because you would need to do a manual capture for each page, but once you've done that, you have all of the pages.

Yep, the patents thing was most certainly a publicity stunt.

The service manual site used to be a bunch of static HTML pages, but they recently modified it to be UIDs generated on the fly to make it pretty much a royal PITA to save any significant portions of it.

I mean, this is stuff that really should just be available to everyone. But I guess it's mostly useless info anyway. Just about every procedure involves "Perform a firmware update" or something equally impossible to do without Tesla's proprietary software "Toolbox" that they aren't putting up for download or anything.

I'm sure we'd be interested in following the case, should you ever move to MA. ;)

I've figured out how to reflash firmware w/o needing the Tesla Toolbox. Undoubtedly, they will change it soon in attempts to prevent it.

Please don't bother PM'ing me to ask how, unfortunately I can't share. Once the DMCA exemption for car hacking comes, then maybe I'll change my stance.

I've figured out how to reflash firmware w/o needing the Tesla Toolbox. Undoubtedly, they will change it soon in attempts to prevent it.

Please don't bother PM'ing me to ask how, unfortunately I can't share. Once the DMCA exemption for car hacking comes, then maybe I'll change my stance.
Most useful post of the year right here!:rolleyes:

Shouldn't the Tesla Toolbox fall under the right to repair act too? The missing part numbers doesn't matter much as I'm sure Tesla wouldn't sell you them anyway.

Reflash being the key here. I think Tesla's term is actually "redeploy" ;)

Not a way to pull new firmware, just reinstall the last downloaded firmware. This is what I figured out anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've said this before, but those who keep insisting that Tesla is subject to the MA law as written need to read the judgment from the MA dealership case in favor of Tesla, where the judge noted that based on the wording of 'dealer' and 'franchise agreement' defined in the law, that Tesla may not be subject to the law because it does not issue 'franchise amendment's and therefore does not have 'dealers':

First, although the parties do not address this point, it is not entirely clear that the plain language of § 4 (c) (10) applies to the defendants’ conduct and renders it unlawful, as the plaintiffs contend. They maintain that § 4 (c) (10) prohibits a manufacturer such as Tesla, directly or through a subsidiary such as Tesla MA, from owning or operating in the Commonwealth “a motor vehicle dealership” selling its own line make of automobiles. “Motor vehicle dealership” is a term defined in c. 93B as:

“any person who, in the ordinary course of its business, is engaged in the business of selling new motor vehicles to consumers or other end users pursuant to a franchise agreement and who has obtained a class 1 license pursuant to the provisions of [G. L. c. 140, §§ 58 & 59]” (emphasis added).G. L. c. 93B, § 1, inserted by St. 2002, c. 222, § 3. Because neither Tesla nor Tesla MA is engaged in the business of selling new Tesla motor vehicles in Massachusetts “pursuant to a franchise agreement,” there appears to be a question whether Tesla’s business model involves the operation of a “motor vehicle dealership” within the meaning of c. 93B, § 4 (c) (10), and therefore whether, by its literal terms, the proscription of § 4 (c) (10) applies to the defendants at all.

EDIT for clarity, since it didn't appear that someone understood why I was quoting the case here: While this case was about requirements related to sales of vehicles (as green1 noted below), those very same definitions in that very same section of MA law are used by the right-to-repair law.

For what it's worth, I support the idea that Tesla should make available their support/repair documentation, but not engineering information, along with the idea that they should sell any and all parts to owners or their agents (with appropriate safeguards to keep people from buying hundreds of motors, etc., for those who want to use them for retrofits and such).

That said, anyone who thinks this is a slam dunk case that only needs someone to sue Tesla in MA is quite disillusioned.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but those who keep insisting that Tesla is subject to the MA law as written need to read the judgment from the MA dealership case in favor of Tesla, where the judge noted that based on the wording of 'dealer' and 'franchise agreement' defined in the law, that Tesla may not be subject to the law because it does not issue 'franchise amendment's and therefore does not have 'dealers':

Those very same definitions from that same section are used by the right-to-repair law.
That had nothing to do with right to repair, and as Tesla's lawyers obviously think the law does apply to them, and have likely investigated this far more than you have, I suspect they're more likely correct.

Nevermind. For those who haven't made up your mind, read the judgment above and the actual text of the MA law which points at the same definitions.

I support the position that the information should be available, but the EU RtR regulations are likely to be more successful in driving change vs. MA law., IMO.

I think Tesla has about 18-24 months before we'll see the repair situation change.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Yes, it's a firmware "redeploy", there is no need to download anything from Tesla servers and everything needed is already present on the local systems. This is also an important distinction for salvage cars for which Tesla has blacklisted.

Slight OT, but I've determined that if the cars are still connected to Tesla after they have blacklisted them, they will actively go in and change the configuration, such as removing supercharging. Ethically I believe this crosses a line. Tesla should not go into your car and alter the configuration without your permission. If they want to tell the supercharger to deny access to particular cars, that's their business (though is also open for debate), but actively disabling something in a car where those features have been bought and paid for is wrong in my book. In one case I looked at on a 60kWh car, the car was originally sold w/o supercharging, then the customer upgraded to supercharging and specifically paid Tesla for it, so the configuration was changed to permit access. Then, the car was salvaged and Tesla actively went in and removed supercharging. This is clearly wrong in my book.

I also believe is would be "right" to make service info available to (at least) qualified people. If they are worried about liability due to high-voltage danger, they could require a test for those that want access. I would be fine with this, but to blanket deny everyone is a mistake and will only serve to harm the brand long-term. Their stance on after-accident cars is also going to damage the brand by increasing cost to insure, and in fact, many insurers have already effectively declined to insure the Model S entirely. This will effectively devalue the cars soon and reduce the resale value. This is a shame, as presently the Model S holds it's value well, and is a selling point.

Tesla; if you are reading this, please consider changing your policies ASAP. It's only going to hurt if you don't! I'll be happy to talk to anyone at Tesla about this, feel free to contact me.