Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Mode- What can I do with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't some big secret. Just go into the software submenu in the settings, press and hold the "Model 3" branding, and enter "SERVICE" when the dialog box pops up. It hasn't been geofenced for a few updates now.

it actually used to be kind of a secret. We encouraged people not to post the direct instructions here as we didnt want to encourage so many people to mess with it and have tesla change the access process. TMC is big enough that absolutely could have happened even though there is no link between TMC and Tesla.

When the service manuals went free on teslas website, the procedure was in there (in tesla published documents) so we stopped doing that (or at least I did).. "that" = encouraging people not to post the exact process or removing posts that did so.

Team - can I get unlimited charging in service mode? been told I can by an engineer, but wouldn't disclose it. What if any benefits is there to opening service mode? Can I add anything I dont already have in my M3P
well I can. I tried both at home and at service centre....anyway. what benefits can I get from this... Overide charging costs? Apparently thats a thing

It's hard to believe you're asking that question... are you that cheap that you want to cheat Tesla out of not paying for your charging? BTW, as a fellow Bond fan, I can tell you that the serial number for my M3 is "007" and Connery was the best Bond, James Bond!! 😁

Reactions: rpiotro
it actually used to be kind of a secret. We encouraged people not to post the direct instructions here as we didnt want to encourage so many people to mess with it and have tesla change the access process. TMC is big enough that absolutely could have happened even though there is no link between TMC and Tesla.

When the service manuals went free on teslas website, the procedure was in there (in tesla published documents) so we stopped doing that (or at least I did).. "that" = encouraging people not to post the exact process or removing posts that did so.
I... wish I didn't hear that. :(

I'm not going to mince words. I've never heard of such heavy-handed moderation on any car forum I've been on (Cadillac, Volt, DIY EVs) where literal built-in diagnostics are censored. That is very disappointing to hear.

I'd argue the elusiveness of service mode has exaggerated the utility of it; as if Tesla left some sort of backdoor to supercharging for free (as evidenced in this thread). It's a simple diagnostic mode available on most cars: it just comes with a UI in this case and a few bonus controls owing to the complexity of the car.

Some truly stupid user behavior has come about from magical beliefs of the car, like treating autopilot as if it is some general-intelligence AI, letting it take over while sleeping. I wish we'd encourage the disillusionment of these things but I've said quite enough at this point.

Thank you for the transparency.

I'm not going to mince words. I've never heard of such heavy-handed moderation on any car forum I've been on (Cadillac, Volt, DIY EVs) where literal built-in diagnostics are censored. That is very disappointing to hear.
The intention was good, Tesla is known to occasionally monitor this forum and known to play cat and mouse games to lock down things or nerf it.

That's what happened with dyno mode:
Tesla Nerfs Dyno Mode Through Over-The-Air Software Update

They did a similar thing with the Setec CCS adapter.

In this case I think they were just too lazy to change it (would require SCs to change procedures too). There is a separate diagnostic mode too I believe.

None of the other cars you mention the manufacturer has the ability to lock things down with an OTA.
I'd argue the elusiveness of service mode has exaggerated the utility of it; as if Tesla left some sort of backdoor to supercharging for free (as evidenced in this thread). It's a simple diagnostic mode available on most cars: it just comes with a UI in this case and a few bonus controls owing to the complexity of the car.

Some truly stupid user behavior has come about from magical beliefs of the car, like treating autopilot as if it is some general-intelligence AI, letting it take over while sleeping. I wish we'd encourage the disillusionment of these things but I've said quite enough at this point.

I understand what you are saying. We encouraged users to PM each other with the information. The Idea wasnt censorship on this topic, more like "lets not give them a reason to change it", since they absolutely can (and have) changed things via OTA updates, or other policies, due to "proliferation".

TMC is one of the main sites that comes up when you search for anything tesla, and at lease a few popular tesla blogs look through popular threads here to post content on their on blogs (which is why you will see some long time members here have the "dont post my words anywhere else" text in their signatures).

To @stopcrazypp 's point, I am 100% sure that some tesla employees check in on things that are happening here on TMC, even though there is no affiliation. I am not going to go into detail, I am just going to say that I am not "guessing" when I say that, even though I (like most moderators here) am simply a volunteer.

Even with the above, I understand what you are saying and the feeling behind it.

I think the discussion here does a fairly decent job of trying to refute those "magical things" you mention that some people think, but thats for another thread.

If you have a pretty recent software version in your car, you can now enter service mode from anywhere. It used to only work near Tesla service centers or approved body shops (geofenced). Also, the service mode that is available now from anywhere does not have all the functionality nor info as the service mode available near a service center or approved body shop. I call the new service mode "Service Mode Lite" and think that Tesla wanted to give us access to some basic info and diagnostics without giving us access to the full Service Mode.

By the way, you cannot get access to free Supercharging, nor change a configuration that you car didn't come with (i.e. Autopilot, FSD, Acceleration Boost, Heated Seats, etc). It is just for technicians to get advanced info and some tools for troubleshooting.

There is another thing called Toolbox that has more functionality. You can pay Tesla for access to Toolbox, which is software that runs in a computer that is connected to your car. That allows even more access to the vehicle software including the ability to unlock some features, but once again the access granted to regular people is limited.

The only way to unlock features is going to be by rooting your car, which is not easy especially with newer software and hardware versions and is not supported by Tesla.

If you have a pretty recent software version in your car, you can now enter service mode from anywhere. It used to only work near Tesla service centers or approved body shops (geofenced). Also, the service mode that is available now from anywhere does not have all the functionality nor info as the service mode available near a service center or approved body shop. I call the new service mode "Service Mode Lite" and think that Tesla wanted to give us access to some basic info and diagnostics without giving us access to the full Service Mode.

By the way, you cannot get access to free Supercharging, nor change a configuration that you car didn't come with (i.e. Autopilot, FSD, Acceleration Boost, Heated Seats, etc). It is just for technicians to get advanced info and some tools for troubleshooting.

There is another thing called Toolbox that has more functionality. You can pay Tesla for access to Toolbox, which is software that runs in a computer that is connected to your car. That allows even more access to the vehicle software including the ability to unlock some features, but once again the access granted to regular people is limited.

The only way to unlock features is going to be by rooting your car, which is not easy especially with newer software and hardware versions and is not supported by Tesla.
Any idea if "service mode lite" will allow me to reload my car's firmware post MCU 2 upgrade from home? I've been having issues with TuneIn music and Voice Command after upgrading and I've read that Tesla simply reinstalls the firmware as a fix. Would like to avoid a SC visit if possible.

So one function I found that I haven't seen discussed yet is the ability to adjust horizontal aim for the headlights. Just go to the usual headlight aiming menu while in service mode, and now pressing left/right on the scroll wheel will adjust the horizontal aim.

This is with matrix headlights. Don't know if US pre-matrix headlights support the same.

• Informative
Reactions: ColoradoMike
So one function I found that I haven't seen discussed yet is the ability to adjust horizontal aim for the headlights. Just go to the usual headlight aiming menu while in service mode, and now pressing left/right on the scroll wheel will adjust the horizontal aim.

This is with matrix headlights. Don't know if US pre-matrix headlights support the same.
I believe we can already do that under the service screen.

Light Adj.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic