Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's a reasonable stance, if there's reason to believe the repair is lasting and durable. Having an option like this to replace, say, a failed battery management board is a game changer.

But if you're charging someone $5-7k for a "repair" that has a high likelihood of failing again in the very near term, have you really helped them?
They definitely didn’t help him, but the clicks that their YouTube videos are going to get: Priceless…(well not really priceless but they’ll make some coin!)

I just spent an hour reading this whole damn thread and I don’t even have an S! Let alone an older S!

what the heck happened to @badpenny ’s car?!
suspense-waiting.gif

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and SO16
What is the size of the new battery pack vs. the remanufactured pack?

Check this topic, it would be more towards real 85kw/h

Reactions: FlatSix911
I did 12 rounds with the James Bond fellow on twitter…sheesh… he refuses to accept that for many years a replacment 85kwh pack is ~$20k. I've googled "Tesla battery replace <insert price>" and found numerous articles over the years supporting this. in bad faith he insists Fred, Hoovie, and Rich are part of some lying cabal instead of facing facts.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well the fact is the invoice they showed was fake/fabricated...
Well - Rich just responded that the invoice was just an ilustration - he backs the price up by multiple sources in his video:

10:50 Sources of 21.000 Battery
- call from customer to TSLA service
- tesla parts website
- confirmation of other sources online being all 21k usd
- confusion comes from people getting smaller packs below 21k

I'm just confused - and being outside of US makes it worse - we don't have Gruber, Rich, wk and others available here. ...

Reactions: FlatSix911
Well - Rich just responded that the invoice was just an ilustration - he backs the price up by multiple sources in his video:

10:50 Sources of 21.000 Battery
- call from customer to TSLA service
- tesla parts website
- confirmation of other sources online being all 21k usd
- confusion comes from people getting smaller packs below 21k

I'm just confused - and being outside of US makes it worse - we don't have Gruber, Rich, wk and others available here. ...
If you buy new pack yes, if you opt out for refurb one then it’s closer to 11k.

Reactions: bhzmark
Wow first the whole world needs to be upset, and then people open their eyes..... I really don't like how people reacted. If you have a car like that you should know these options in my opinion. But the whole world suddenly has an opinion on a fabricated quote...
It’s not “fabricated” though. Rich just mocked up an example using real quotes from people. But ideally a refurbished pack is probably a better option.

But ideally a refurbished pack is probably a better option.
I disagree.

Why buy a refurbished pack for $10-15k that is only going to have a one-year warranty (right?) versus spending $20-22k for a brand new battery that has a four-year, 50k warranty.

It seems that buying a refurbished pack is a relatively bad idea (in my opinion). Then again, maybe the warranty on the refurbished pack is better than what I remembered?

I disagree.

Why buy a refurbished pack for $10-15k that is only going to have a one-year warranty (right?) versus spending $20-22k for a brand new battery that has a four-year, 50k warranty.

It seems that buying a refurbished pack is a relatively bad idea (in my opinion). Then again, maybe the warranty on the refurbished pack is better than what I remembered?
Agreed if you are planning to keep car for 4 or more years.

I don't see anything on Tesla's site saying that the warranty is different for a refurbished pack than a new pack. (I assume 4 years/50k for both.)

I am currently doing an out-of-warranty replacement for a failed battery on a 2013 Model S. We chose to go with Tesla because third party repairs involve long-distance shipping and are not warrantied. We are the original owners, 66,000 miles on the this original battery.

I received written service estimates for both a NEW 90kwh battery ($22K) and a REMAN 85kwh battery ($10,500). The NEW battery offer was revoked by our SC after the service appointment was made. Stated reasons were "the service advisor you spoke with in-person made a mistake", "we never put new batteries in existing cars" and "the remanufactured battery is what was approved for your car by upper management".

I have not been able to get a clear answer on what warranty the REMAN battery will carry, as Tesla's limited parts warranty (Vehicle Warranty) does not clearly state. Will be seeking written clarification when we pick the car up and will report back here.

I have not been able to get a clear answer on what warranty the REMAN battery will carry, as Tesla's limited parts warranty (Vehicle Warranty) does not clearly state. Will be seeking written clarification when we pick the car up and will report back here.
How is it not clear:
1632160315712.png

It just says that parts purchase have this warranty, which for the HV battery is 4 years/50k miles.

I am currently doing an out-of-warranty replacement for a failed battery on a 2013 Model S. We chose to go with Tesla because third party repairs involve long-distance shipping and are not warrantied. We are the original owners, 66,000 miles on the this original battery.

I received written service estimates for both a NEW 90kwh battery ($22K) and a REMAN 85kwh battery ($10,500). The NEW battery offer was revoked by our SC after the service appointment was made. Stated reasons were "the service advisor you spoke with in-person made a mistake", "we never put new batteries in existing cars" and "the remanufactured battery is what was approved for your car by upper management".

Yes, please report back here when you get clarification on what the warranty is on the reman battery. My impression is that it was just one-year, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong for those who don't have $20-22k to drop in for a new battery.

Also their "we never put new batteries in existing cars" comment is SO VERY WRONG!! You can demonstrate that they're full of it by using copies of the several service records posted here (and elsewhere on the site).

Anddddddddddddd after they apologize and offer you a new battery, ask for a goodwill discount.

Reactions: Rocky_H and AustinP
How is it not clear:
View attachment 711964

It just says that parts purchase have this warranty, which for the HV battery is 4 years/50k miles.
If you read the full Limited Warranty (pdf file) linked from the website, there is some confusing language. It refers to "covered parts" and "used" parts. The "used" parts (with a shorter coverage period) specifically refers to remanufactured parts used for the Roadster. However, Tesla is also using remanufactured HV batteries for replacement in other models, both in-warranty and, now, out-of-warranty. This is why I am seeking clarification. The file also says that any part replaced in warranty is only covered for the duration of the original vehicle warranty. So it seems Tesla has an incentive to use remanufactured batteries in cars that are within 4 years of warranty expiration.

The NEW battery offer was revoked by our SC after the service appointment was made. Stated reasons were "the service advisor you spoke with in-person made a mistake", "we never put new batteries in existing cars" and "the remanufactured battery is what was approved for your car by upper management".
This is nuts.
I decided to keep our car, knowing there was an option for a new better battery, using new cells and charging again faster.
As mentioned by others, this option is well reported by a few owners that posted here.
If I were in your shoes, I’d bring those examples to your SeC and demand the new one (if this is what you wanted to do). It’s great that Tesla brought down the price of the reman option, but insane that they would deny the new one.

I see from another thread that your car is a 60, not a 85. This might explain why they pulled the 85 out of the table: the core charge is not the same between a failed 85 and a failed 60 battery I guess. If Tesla offers the reman 85 to 60 owners at the same price, that is also odd actually.

Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike