Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure? If you have a 85, you'll get the option to buy a 350V 85 kWh with part number 1014116-00-A, if you have a 90 kWh you'll be offered 1014116-00-B

That is my understanding

Search posts by me and see my invoice along with another's. We were both on 2012 Sig p85, and we both got 90kWh packs unless my brain is foggy.

They originally were putting 90s in as 85 replacements for P85s for some short period of time, and they even have an internal list of these vehicles because teleforce tries to make sure that the settings are kept such that the display shows "P90" (a model that doesn't really exist). They were not software limited, but since the 90 packs are garbage anyway it wouldn't make sense to software limit them anyway..... they'd basically be below original 85 specs in a year or two anyway, if not sooner.

Personally, I think spending 20k+ to fix what's effectively the ICE equivalent of a major mechanical problem on a Tesla is probably a pretty terrible idea. Easily half the value of the car or more. $5k or so, sure. $20k? Not so much.

Financially and practically that makes lots of sense, but been human beings some of us have this thing called 'sentimental value' attached to our cars even though the reality is they are innate objects and should be treated as such :).

I use to laugh at a colleague who spent $$$$ (and still does) on his 1980s BMW 3 series including putting in a whole new engine and transmission through a BMW main dealer. Its not a M3, or a collectable BMW, its just a normal 3 series but it was his first brand new car and he treats like a ospring.

Despite me mocking him years ago, I suspect am heading down the same path with our Model X, as the saying goes 'those who laugh last laugh the loudest' :).

Financially and practically that makes lots of sense, but been human beings some of us have this thing called 'sentimental value' attached to our cars even though the reality is they are innate objects and should be treated as such :).

I use to laugh at a colleague who spent $$$$ (and still does) on his 1980s BMW 3 series including putting in a whole new engine and transmission through a BMW main dealer. Its not a M3, or a collectable BMW, its just a normal 3 series but it was his first brand new car and he treats like a ospring.

Despite me mocking him years ago, I suspect am heading down the same path with our Model X, as the saying goes 'those who laugh last laugh the loudest' :).

I still say that the resale value of a specific car, the purchase price of a comparable car, and the replacement cost of a car are related but not the same.

You've got a 2013 P85+ and the battery fails but you like the car otherwise...

You can't replace it with something exactly alike and comparable replacements are probably $50-90k...
a replacement "P85+" if you could find it is likely to fail in a similar way, and be $15-$40k depending on condition.
a new battery is $22k / a refurb battery is $16k
A new bicycle is $2000
A rusty 87 tercel is $800

I'll start by saying that being on the "I'm gonna own a fancy-ass tesla" train is already a catastrophically bad financial decision.

But "fixing yo' brokeh tesla" doesn't seem like a substantially worse alternative than "sell it to some other chump and buy a newer fancy-ass tesla that's been farted in fewer times". Especially if you've got a green one with a sunroof and like it that way. The only options that come with warranties are either new (4y/50k), Used (1y/10k), or battery swap by tesla (4y/50k new or 2y/25k refurb). The warranty's expensive...

So Hoovies story got a sequel via the Rich Rebuilds channel. Apparently the Electrified garage changed the bricks that were of balance with closely matched bricks.
@wk057
you mentioned that this is not the preferred way of working/best solution. I am curious what the ownership experience of Hoovie will be with this repair done to the tesla.

So Hoovies story got a sequel via the Rich Rebuilds channel. Apparently the Electrified garage changed the bricks that were of balance with closely matched bricks.
@wk057
you mentioned that this is not the preferred way of working/best solution. I am curious what the ownership experience of Hoovie will be with this repair done to the tesla.

As am i. I'd like to hear from him in about 4 months.

Most of all I’m curious how to interpret the data they showed on screen (when is a module not balancing?)
A module is not balancing when any of the readings differ significantly from the average. The differences are highlighted by the software to make them easier to spot. A perfectly balanced battery would have all numbers the same.

Over time, the tiniest differences in manufacturing result in big differences in each individual's cell chemical process, and eventually, some cells get to the point where they can't match the rate or capacity of other cells. As of now, the battery packs have no way to disable bad cells individually (like bad clusters on a hard drive). So the car does what it can and disables the whole block. This means 1 bad cell in a block disables all the good ones, leading to a big loss of range.

• Informative
Reactions: cousin_IT
As of now, the battery packs have no way to disable bad cells individually (like bad clusters on a hard drive). So the car does what it can and disables the whole block. This means 1 bad cell in a block disables all the good ones, leading to a big loss of range.
It can't disable a whole block either. So if things get too far out of balance it disables the whole pack.

they'd basically be below original 85 specs in a year or two anyway, if not sooner.
Of course they would be, just as all our batteries would be. Batteries degrade around 5% the first year and 1% each year afterward, so an "85" would be an "80" after the first year alone, much less "in a year or two". Anyone thinking they have anything near original battery capacity after a year is dreaming.

Of course they would be, just as all our batteries would be. Batteries degrade around 5% the first year and 1% each year afterward, so an "85" would be an "80" after the first year alone, much less "in a year or two". Anyone thinking they have anything near original battery capacity after a year is dreaming.
Did you just mansplain battery degradation to Jason Hughes? 😂

Did you just mansplain battery degradation to Jason Hughes? 😂

I'll cut them some slack, since I haven't been super active here lately. Maybe they don't know who I am? 😜
they'd basically be below original 85 specs in a year or two anyway, if not sooner.

By this I mean, within a year or two a 90 and an 85 built at the same time (or otherwise tracked and aligned to make such a comparison) would have BOTH degraded, obviously, but the 90 would have degraded MORE, to the point where it has equal capacity to the same age 85. From that point on the 90 would have less capacity than the 85 for all time.

By this I mean, within a year or two a 90 and an 85 built at the same time (or otherwise tracked and aligned to make such a comparison) would have BOTH degraded, obviously, but the 90 would have degraded MORE, to the point where it has equal capacity to the same age 85. From that point on the 90 would have less capacity than the 85 for all time.

Due to battery design of the 90kwh battery? Or can you make a similar comparisons between all hv packs?