Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I maybe am jumping the gun here, but it looks like the battery replacement is turning out to be the worst case scenario. The replacement battery has finally arrived. It has been confirmed to be an 85Kwh battery, not the 90kwh battery agreed to when I approved the invoice. I asked for clarification if this was the old 400V one or the new 350Volt one, and I get no reply. It looks like the new battery is installed, the car is now showing 211 miles of range at 90% state of charge. Not Good. It sure appears to be an 10year old battery slapped together and sold back to me as new.

Like I said, I may be jumping the gun but the signs are not promising. I intend to pick up the car tomorrow.

Tesla service did just confirm it is in fact a 400volt 85kwh battery. So now what....? Shall I fight Tesla over this? The invoice that I approved clearly states a 90kwh battery. That was the repair I agreed to. Changing it back to an 85kwh battery was a bait and switch in my opinion.
Yeah, if they didn't put the part number you approved in, you can reject the repair. Of course that means they either put the part number you approved in, give you a new quote/invoice to approve, or put your old battery back in and send you on your way. (I'm not sure that you can force them to honor the approved quote, for example if that part is no longer available.)

So I maybe am jumping the gun here, but it looks like the battery replacement is turning out to be the worst case scenario. The replacement battery has finally arrived. It has been confirmed to be an 85Kwh battery, not the 90kwh battery agreed to when I approved the invoice. I asked for clarification if this was the old 400V one or the new 350Volt one, and I get no reply. It looks like the new battery is installed, the car is now showing 211 miles of range at 90% state of charge. Not Good. It sure appears to be an 10year old battery slapped together and sold back to me as new.

Like I said, I may be jumping the gun but the signs are not promising. I intend to pick up the car tomorrow.
TBH there's no real guarantee that the "90kwh" battery would be in any better shape than the 85 they just gave you. 211 at 90% is ~234 at 100%, and that isn't all that bad honestly.

You could fight on this if you want but I honestly don't think there's a more positive outcome in the cards for you.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla service did just confirm it is in fact a 400volt 85kwh battery. So now what....? Shall I fight Tesla over this? The invoice that I approved clearly states a 90kwh battery. That was the repair I agreed to. Changing it back to an 85kwh battery was a bait and switch in my opinion.
I don’t think that there’s any fighting needed. If you signed the deal for a 90 kWh battery, they can’t put 85 kWh battery to your car with the price of a 90 kWh.

I don’t think that there’s any fighting needed. If you signed the deal for a 90 kWh battery, they can’t put 85 kWh battery to your car with the price of a 90 kWh.
The 90 and 85 are going to magically be the same price, so it won’t be a financial thing. You’re right in that they could demand Tesla remove the battery they installed or refuse to pick up the car, but to what end? Another multi-month ordeal to play battery roulette again?

As others said, picking a fight with Tesla will be tough. But your are in your right if you indeed have a quote with the exact reference of the 90 battery.

But as you are paying for this…
I’d be pissed off very displeased. A 90 is probably not nerfed for SuC speed, while the 85 is 100% for sure nerfed. Capacity wise, it’s probably not much difference.

Hmm. I wonder if they genuinely have the confidence it will make it through the 4yr 50k warranty in fine shape. If it doesn't, it's going to be even harder for them to come up with a refurbished 85kWh pack a few years down the road. This is such a weird spot to end up.

Hmm. I wonder if they genuinely have the confidence it will make it through the 4yr 50k warranty in fine shape. If it doesn't, it's going to be even harder for them to come up with a refurbished 85kWh pack a few years down the road. This is such a weird spot to end up.
Interesting thought.
If we assume the nerfing of the SuC speed was meant to extend the 85’s life expectancy, and as there is no language in the warranty about said SuC speed, one can wonder what will be the SuC curve of those refurbished batteries down the line.

Given the choice between a new 90kwh for $22,000 (which is the title of this thread) and a reman 85kwh for $12,700, where both have a 4 yr 50K warranty, which would people choose? @glhs272 ?
To me the main difference/value will be the SuC charge speed.
If one wants to keep the car going, but not use it for road-trip, or don’t care about longer waiting time for charging, the reman is the better deal.

In preparation of our next ski vacation, I noticed it will take us 10.5h to get there because of 2.5h of charge (5 stops: charge time plus time lost because of the charge detour/stop). With a new 90, it would be only 3 stops, and in total 9h, so 1.5h faster.

It’s the first time we are short on time, and will leave at noon, to be there probably around midnight. This time, the 1.5h would have been great to arrive at a more decent hour. Usually, we drive over two days, so it’s not such a big deal. First world problems.