Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shade Mesh Screen Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am interested in the soft top conversion approach but am a little confused as to who is doing (or rather who i contact about doing) the conversion.

is that also through VFX? wiztecy's post says to contact chris taylor about the soft top conversion. who is chris taylor? are VFX and chris taylor the same person?

thanks!

We have not finalized pricing on the new conversion Tops. (TMTCs) While we were ecstatic how Petefish's top came out (FB page has pics) out it was a nerveracking moment to cut up a perfectly good soft top. Only the experience gained from all the previous builds made it work.

Bottom line is we are planning on doing it. Just need to determine how much pain to endure and what makes it worth it. Petefish is happy and we certainly want to share the love.

Some promised pictures.
IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

Last edited:
The TMTC (Conversion) that William commissioned is a standard top with all the same mounting mechanisms as the stock soft top so that's why it seals at the side windows. There's no way to mash the totally different designs. Tesla sells a replacement soft top for $1,450.00 now. Lotus, a bit cheaper. Parts are outrageous.

The FB page has more pics of William's conversion.

Got my mesh top few days ago and love it! Gaps don't bother me but that soft top conversion does look sweet. Had a guy in a monster truck pull next to me at a stop light and we talked THRU the mesh top about the Model S ....... his wife has a reservation. I drove away thinking ...... Glad the mesh top was on.

I also feel a little better parking it in downtown Annapolis even though I know it does nothing to stop a determined thief. Does deter the casual thief.

If you have been thinking about a Tesla Mesh Top for the summer you may want to place and order this month. On July 1st the price will skyrocket to $500 plus ship for the Classic Mesh Top (The TMT) and the same for Conversion work to your soft top (The TMTC) . This been put off too long as certain supplies have become difficult to source and prices have gone up.

Consider the price of a Tesla soft top is $1,450 it's still a great value for the summer fun of driving without you and your passenger's head baking. The Mesh Top is the coolest thing you can buy for your Roadster.

As always, there is a 100 percent money back guarantee and if you place your order before the 1st of July, the price will be the old $400 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Thank you to everyone who is enjoying a Mesh Top and special thanks to those who say such wonderful thing on the FB page.

I've been running the Taylor Mesh top here for a couple of months and love it. I purchased the original since I didn't want to sacrifice my soft top nor did I want to spend over 1k for another soft top + conversion. The Mesh top is simple, easy to remove and put back on. It comes with its own protective sack which is nice to help protect it and it also keeps the top wound up and ready for the next install. I don't really notice any disturbing wind noises from it and it definitely amplifies the Roadster's excitement and enjoyment. As for the gaps with the side windows, which are eliminated by the soft top conversion, I really don't mind it. I don't get any extra wind noise if the windows are up or down. And I see some are worried about security. I have to agree with Eric, its a convertible, so anyone who had any intention to break into the car will be determined no matter what and cut through either tops, soft or mesh. I couldn't fish my hand through the gap and if I did it looks like my hand would get stuck. Arming the roadster's alarm also is a step I take. If someone does compromise the gap and manages to reach in to open the door, the alarm should sound. Lastly if I know I'm parking in an unprotected area where its Mischief Night, I would take the extra precaution to take 1-2 minutes to remove the Mesh top and install the soft top for that it limits visibility into the car. If I had the soft top conversion I would do the same..... but wait that soft top most likely would have been eaten up in the conversion! So there's a benefit the original mesh top give over the soft top conversion in addition to its economical cost :)

Just wanted to chime in too. Have had the mesh top for a ?month now. Love it! I was super worried about the gap but I really think it fits with the spirit that it's a mesh cover. Also the customer service has been fantastic! Either way, a mesh top is a nice option during the hot summer months.

Have had my new mesh top on for a few days and very happy I bought one. It fits perfectly, is easy to get on and off, and, beyond dealing with the sun issue , is very effective in reducing wind at higher speeds. It is a very elegant solution to the dilemma faced in good weather, where you want the pleasure of "open air" driving, but are concerned about excessive sun and wind (as well as the insecurity of parking the car somewhere fully exposed).