Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked! Model 3 has no blind spot detection [Update: yes, it does]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost hit someone today! This seems basic! I thought this was the safest car on the road!

Wait till you learn there’s no rear cross traffic alert either for backing out of a parked spot.

Blind spot detection is less than ideal. Ignore the fanboys. Manually look for vehicles in your blind spot. And looking instead at your center screen for red markings is just stupid so please don’t do that. The car does make a sound on autopilot mode, but overall it is not reliable as a feature yet.

And make sure your side mirrors are facing as away from you as possible to reduce the blind spot to begin with.

And as far as safety ratings go - some of it is true some a gimmick. And it’s mainly about not dying when you are in an accident. Not necessarily about how smart the car is to prevent an accident. So there’s that.

Last edited:
Wait till you learn there’s no rear cross traffic alert either for backing out of a parked spot.

Blind spot detection is less than ideal. Ignore the fanboys. Manually look for vehicles in your blind spot. And looking instead at your center screen for red markings is just stupid so please don’t do that. The car does make a sound on autopilot mode, but overall it is not reliable as a feature yet.

And make sure your side mirrors are facing as away from you as possible to reduce the blind spot to begin with.

Bingo. Adjusting side mirrors properly really helps (unless you are a tall person).

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

Bingo. Adjusting side mirrors properly really helps (unless you are a tall person).

I’m 6’3” and I totally agree with you, I didn’t know about the mirror trick and it still improved highway entering for me and blind spots. I found that tilting the mirror as far up as possible makes up for my height.

Reactions: afadeev

Yes, I hav't driven a car with blind spots in YEARS. It is amazing that almost no one knows this. I never meet anyone that has their mirrors adjust correctly and when I tell them they think I'm wrong because they can't see their fenders and can't get used to it.

Yes be careful, it is not 100% reliable. It happened to me too.
Also the collision detection is the same way. I had it giving me an alert AFTER I passed the obstacle...
so in another word, it is nice to have it, but always look above your shoulder before you change lane.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobRain

It's funny you say that--I thought it was just me! I back out of a particular parking spot where you have to drive in and then back out, and you're coming out blind with cars coming quickly down the road. My old car would warn me long before I could see cars coming down the road (I guess bouncing some kind of a signal underneath the surrounding cars?). NOTHING on the Tesla. With all the technology on this car, it didn't dawn on me that the lack of a rear cross traffic alert would be a design "feature". I just assumed it wasn't as effective as the one on my last car. That's the biggest safety feature I miss (apart from the corner lights that would come on when I was turning--the blind spot feature was nice, but I never really used it).