Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked! Model 3 has no blind spot detection [Update: yes, it does]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It MUST have blind spot detection since it makes very
complex multi-lane changes in NOA, including squeezing
in between dense traffic 3 lanes over. If you involve the
AP by announcing your intention with the blinkers, it shows
any possible "interference" in bright red on the display.

It's different from cars that don't have these capabilities.
I can't say much about how an M3 without autopilot handles
itself.

Isn't it better to adapt to the way your present car does things,
rather than complain it doesn't do it like your previous car?

As to cross traffic warnings at the rear that use radar, no
that's not how it's set up, I believe it's because the radar
points frontward to provide more significant capabilities.

We can compare pros and cons of different cars, they all
will be short of one thing or another. It's not a matter of
being a fanboy, but objectively overall the Tesla does more.

BSM and rear cross traffic alert are WONDERFUL safety features. Their lack is a mark of shame for Tesla. FSD is a trillion miles away. Don't hold your breath.
Fortunately there is an aftermarket kit. I ordered GOSHERS.
I really miss RCTA. My last 2 ice cars had it, and it saved me on multiple occasions.

In
Also, I replaced the stock mirrors with Suma Performance mirrors and I can now see the blind spots AND down the body straight behind me.

I was actually wondering the other day if there was a manufacturer that makes these for the model 3, I had some on my brz and loved it. The downside is it seems you lose the auto dimming, the blue tint was not as helpful as they mentioned on my last car.

Don't do this!

While properly set up mirrors (SAE recommendation) give you visibility into the next lane, they also create a blind spot right next to your car. This is not an issue on freeways but it's really dangerous in cities on right turns, as you can easily miss a bicyclist. ALWAYS turn your head and check!

Seriously, train yourself to always glance in the direction of the turn. It costs no time but can prevent a deadly accident.

Actually the safest way to operate the car is to adjust your mirrors as @JulienW says and then lean over toward each mirror so you can see the area right next to your car. If your mirrors are adjusted properly and you know how to lean left and right you should never have to turn your head. Leaning over is much safer because your peripheral vision allows you to continue to see what is coming while checking your mirrors. Turning your head creates the ultimate blind spot.

Yeah, side mirror warning is the ultimate standard.

I've always found them to be useless gimmicks. Maybe it is just my eyes' natural focal length but I found trying to pay attention to them took away from actually using the mirrors. Mind you I'm a very active shoulder-checker and actively use mirrors to be aware of every thing in my circle, so have never had an issue with missing things in "blind spots". What really brought home how much I move around is when I started racing and thus having the seatbelt set very tight in a constraining way I got a little panicked at first about how little I could move to fully check my 7 and 8.

This means, ironically, that the Model 3 has effectively a lot better "blindspot detection" back-up for me than any other car I've owned as it is audio based so alerts me wherever my eyes happen to be at the moment. Not that it triggers much anyway, because that's what it is; A back-up that hopefully never gets used. I've only ever had a false positive (or at least something that was borderline and I felt was acceptable, it wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know).

Reactions: KenC
I can't say much about how an M3 without autopilot handles itself.

As to cross traffic warnings at the rear that use radar, that's not how it's set up, I believe it's because the radar points frontward to provide more significant capabilities.

We can compare pros and cons of different cars, they all will be short of one thing or another. It's not a matter of being a fanboy, but objectively overall the Tesla does more.

But here's the thing, Tesla is only objectively *better/safer* ("does more"?) if one's goal is to someday not have to drive the car.

Before this thread, I couldn't rationalize the idiosyncrasies between this and every other car I've owned over the past decade or so. They're little things, but irritating nonetheless, and many relate to "safety" features (such as having no wiper stock or traditional rain sensor, so that the automatic wipers don't work well enough to be counted on (depending on lighting conditions and at least in the PNW?), so you're left fumbling with manual settings on the screen while it's dark and raining).

But now it all makes sense. I bought a self-driving wannabe car that makes no bones about being not designed for actual "driving" (other than as a "stop gap" measure until the robo-taxi fleet is ready).

I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't even realize it until this thread, but it's also not like the differences were marketed to me ("Tesla, the car company that is so safety focused we didn't build in a cross traffic alert system because someday (as "summon" isn't available in Canada yet, even in beta as far as I understand) someone with an option you didn't buy, and have no interest in, won't have to worry about driving the car, let alone fussing around with backing it out").

I guess it boils down to picking the right horse for the course. I used to really like how my old car's headlights would follow the road, and how it had side lights that would kick in when I made a sharp turn, or how it would alert me--and stop my car if need be--if I was backing up when a car or cyclist was going past that I couldn't see, particularly at night. Or how I could turn the radio off--and have it stay off when the car turned back on--with the bush of a knob. Same goes for my yellow blind spot warning light--or turn signal for other drivers--on my mirror. None of those are particularly earth-shattering safety features, and I haven't got into an accident because of the lack of them on the Tesla, but they enhanced my "driving" experience.

Bottom line is that you're quite right, though. There's no point reminiscing about the past, and that I should be looking to the future (next few years hopefully), particularly now that I know that many features I miss in my Tesla haven't been overlooked, they've been designed out.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
No doubt. Lack of RTCA and poor execution blind spot monitoring should be addressed by Tesla. When a Toyota Corolla handles these two features better than a Tesla with 8 cameras and 12 ultrasonic sensors then their is an issue with execution.

I mean take a minute and look over this. If you read through this you would be shocked like the OP. From a design perspective the lack of rear radar is the main issue but Tesla promotes that this system uses "vision" from the cameras to make decisions. If so, why not leverage the composited vision of the side and rear cameras? Probably because the side cameras would be obstructed by vehicles parked on either side of you. Lack of rear radar is a mistake. We are also starting to see rear view mirror cameras now that leverage a high mounted camera at the rear of the car. The wide angle view they provide is a big improvement.

Autopilot

Reactions: ftlum
Actually the safest way to operate the car is to adjust your mirrors as @JulienW says and then lean over toward each mirror so you can see the area right next to your car. If your mirrors are adjusted properly and you know how to lean left and right you should never have to turn your head. Leaning over is much safer because your peripheral vision allows you to continue to see what is coming while checking your mirrors. Turning your head creates the ultimate blind spot.

Not sure if we're talking semantics, but I've never heard of "leaning over" to check blind spots, and you can't simply rely on your mirrors--regardless of how they are positioned. You should be doing a shoulder check, and all the more so with the Tesla, since it doesn't have a proper blind spot warning system (so no way for a quick eyeball double-check in a hurry).

Blind spots — even when your mirrors are properly adjusted, there are large areas that you can’t see in your mirrors. These are called blind spots. The most dangerous blind spots are to the side. There are also blind spots below your field of vision to the front, rear and both sides of your vehicle.​

Shoulder checks — whenever you plan to change your direction or road position, do a shoulder check to make sure the blind spot on that side is clear.​

From a design perspective the lack of rear radar is the main issue but Tesla promotes that this system uses "vision" from the cameras to make decisions.

This is what blows my mind...why wouldn't they use something that "sees" where I can't? With the rear radar (which is what I assume has been on my last few cars), it could see "under" a set of cars in a way that I (and all my passengers combined--ie, multiple "cameras")--just couldn't.

Reactions: Eugr
I do agree that having a warning light on the side mirrors for blind spots would have been nice. RCTA would have been nice too. I think it’s just a matter of trade offs to hit a certain price point and still put all of the other features in the car.

I’ve always done a shoulder check before switching lanes. And I always use a turn signal even if I’m the only car on the road. It’s just good driving habits.

What I’ve recently begun doing to deal with the lack of RCTA is to roll down the front windows when I’m backing out of the car so that I can hear other cars coming toward me in addition to watching for them over my shoulder. It’s really helped me a lot. But I still turn my head to look behind me whenever backing out of a parking spot. Relying on side view mirrors or the backup camera just doesn’t feel safe to me.

I mute the stereo while backing out as well just to eliminate one more distraction. With these practices I’m comfortable not having RCTA...but again it would be nice if the car had it.

Source for "leaning over" as being safer than a proper "shoulder check"?
Actually, you can be that authoritative source.

Just try adjusting your mirrors so you can see the next lane. Then lean a bit to each side to see either the very narrow area between the field of view and the car, or out to the next lane over on the driver's side. A similar maneuver for the passenger side allows seeing the edge of the car very close to the passenger side window. As mentioned previously, when you look over your shoulder, you're not seeing the road ahead which is were the car is going.

Give it a try, this isn't rocket science, it's adjusting mirrors.