Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short term rental recommendation - Day 2 reservation holder

What should I do for a short term rental?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need a little help with a recommendation on what to do for a short rental. Quick recap:

- My BMW i3 lease expires this Thurs. Jan 25th
- I reserved a Model 3 4/1/2016 and later became an owner of a CPO Model S
- I'm guessing that I'll get an invite late this month or early Feb and figure 4 weeks from then till delivery

So I'm torn on going the safe/cheap route and doing a long term car rental or going the irresponsible/fun route and renting another Model S from somewhere like Turo. I'm thinking 30-45 days for the rental at least which would run $700-$800 for an ICE vehicle or $2500-$3000 for the Tesla.

Need a little help with a recommendation on what to do for a short rental. Quick recap:

- My BMW i3 lease expires this Thurs. Jan 25th
- I reserved a Model 3 4/1/2016 and later became an owner of a CPO Model S
- I'm guessing that I'll get an invite late this month or early Feb and figure 4 weeks from then till delivery

So I'm torn on going the safe/cheap route and doing a long term car rental or going the irresponsible/fun route and renting another Model S from somewhere like Turo. I'm thinking 30-45 days for the rental at least which would run $700-$800 for an ICE vehicle or $2500-$3000 for the Tesla.

Based on a quick search, you may be able to extend your lease up to 6 months,

I'd say rent an efficient low-cost economy car, or use Lyft or Uber, depending on which of the two would be more economical and how inconvenient ride-sharing would be compared with having a car always available. Unless you're rolling in money, in which case rent the Model S. A big part of this decision depends on your financial situation.

Really, the choice between a ride-share app and a rental car has a lot to do with how often you need a car and your own perception of the convenience factor, and the choice between renting a Tesla or a cheaper ICE car has everything to do with your own budget and how badly you want to avoid burning gasoline.

I hate burning gasoline, but when I travel and need a rental car I get the least expensive option even though I could afford a fancy car. Three weeks on Maui, for example, a Model S on Turo would cost $1,000 more than a Mitsubishi Mirage from Enterprise. I hate burning gasoline, but I'll save the $1,000 for something else. So that's my suggestion: Rent an economical ICE and save the money.

ETA: You posted while I was typing. :)

That's an idea I hadn't thought of yet. I only need 70 miles daily roundtrip and used to have a 2011 Leaf so I know I'd be happy with it. Off to Turo to see if I can find a long term rental!!

Low probability of being a good idea: Depending on the local market, it may cost less to buy a used one (or some other older vehicle) and then sell/ trade in when your 3 arrives. Big dependency on your 3 wait time though...

Reactions: davedavedave
Borrow a friend's spare car and offer to pay them a little? :p That's what I would do anyway...a lot of us tend to have that one friend who has an extra car used for hauling things, etc. (I'm one of them). When people have car trouble, they tend to ask me if they can borrow it until their car is back on the road....and since it's a pickup, of course every moving event it gets borrowed.