Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Elon said in at tweet yesterday, “Tesla announcements are always about making product experience better. Market follows eventually.”

In the conference call today he noted that the first time someone buys a type of car, the salesman can be given credit. Afterward, the car owner’s decision to purchase again from the same company or recommend the car to others is largely dependent on the level of service received.

Most dealers depend on service charges to make a profit. Elon says that his service division’s monetary goal is to only break even. This makes it even less likely that someone would want to become an independent Tesla dealer. But it is designed to make consumers lifetime Tesla owners and the providers of enthusiastic recommendations to their friends.

As Elon noted, the “Market follows eventually.”

who wants to be a dealer now?

franchiseproblem solved! :D

I suspect that any disappointment from the lack of a Supercharger announcement today is mainly being dumped on SolarCity (SCTY -3%) shares which closed at a record yesterday. Opportunity?

I fortified my position in SCTY today at $23.00, adding 50% more shares to my current. It's been good to me so far so I wanted to jump on an opportunity to get more skin in the game. In essence, I'm creating the MUSK ETF here! Need to start raising capital for the Space X IPO!

I fortified my position in SCTY today at $23.00, adding 50% more shares to my current. It's been good to me so far so I wanted to jump on an opportunity to get more skin in the game. In essence, I'm creating the MUSK ETF here! Need to start raising capital for the Space X IPO!

I own some SCTY, but I don't want to buy too much for fear of becoming overexposed to Elon. I mean, what happens if he gets hit by a bus and half my portfolio is Elon companies? :scared:

Solarcity. Still needs to drop a bit more for my liking. But I like what they are doing and feel it will continue to grow long term.

They'll be fine in the medium and long term in terms of stock price stability. Right now the levels are a bit high for me as well. Then again.. I said this at $12. I'm just waiting for the natural ebbs and flows of the market so I can get in at a better price probably around ~$20

Really good point made here about today's announcement: Tesla's new Strategy?!?!? - Page 19

People have long been concerned about the fact that there is no inventory at Tesla stores for making impulse purchases or otherwise buying a car right now when you can't wait a few weeks. Tesla doesn't have the space or cash to have cars sitting around doing nothing but collecting pollen until someone decides they want it. This method of making the loaner cars available for purchase addresses this issue. If they are successful at turning over the fleet every 2 or 3 months, I think many people will find that acceptable vs. waiting 4 weeks for a really super brand new car.

Yep. Exactly where I'm at.

Yeah, fair enough. Thought crossed my mind too but I got in really cheap so I was able to assume more risk at the $23.00 price point. They have an interesting model and I like them long term. I bought them with the intent to pay long term capital gains. Short interest has risen considerably. They've made a lot of gains lately with nothing really behind it in terms of news. But ETF's like TAN and other solar companies have sort of his a bottom perhaps and might be rebounding.

I think TAN is a great ETF right now if you're into value buys for long term gains. Just my opinion though and I only know as much as the next guy. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I own some SCTY, but I don't want to buy too much for fear of becoming overexposed to Elon. I mean, what happens if he gets hit by a bus and half my portfolio is Elon companies? :scared:

Good point, except he's no mere mortal.

Seriously though it's great having a guy like him around doing these things. I'm putting my money behind his crazy ideas - as are a lot of people here obviously.

Really good point made here about today's announcement: Tesla's new Strategy?!?!? - Page 19

People have long been concerned about the fact that there is no inventory at Tesla stores for making impulse purchases or otherwise buying a car right now when you can't wait a few weeks. Tesla doesn't have the space or cash to have cars sitting around doing nothing but collecting pollen until someone decides they want it. This method of making the loaner cars available for purchase addresses this issue. If they are successful at turning over the fleet every 2 or 3 months, I think many people will find that acceptable vs. waiting 4 weeks for a really super brand new car.

Yes. And I think that whole thread shows how right this approach is from the car owners' perspective as well.

I also like the "non-profit service department" philosophy. It turns the reduced service requirements of the car into an advantage rather than "lost revenue opportunity" as compared to the fossil car companies. It keeps customers tight with Tesla, as opposed to chasing cheaper service and unoriginal parts in the aftermarket (personally sick and tired of all that). Also just knowing that is a great comfort to customers, and (if believed) will reduce suspicion of being screwed by Tesla in any way.

I was initially skeptical of EM's use of the term "ownership experience", but I am now gradually buying into his vision. And the most beautiful part of it is that whereas competitors can try to build similar cars, THIS part will be hard for them to emulate. They are stuck with their business models, their dealer relationships and so forth.

That the stock ended down on the day shows how little the market understands of the value drivers in Tesla. That is a good thing, because if the market DID get it there would not be such an opportunity here.

I was initially skeptical of EM's use of the term "ownership experience", but I am now gradually buying into his vision. And the most beautiful part of it is that whereas competitors can try to build similar cars, THIS part will be hard for them to emulate. They are stuck with their business models, their dealer relationships and so forth.

That the stock ended down on the day shows how little the market understands of the value drivers in Tesla. That is a good thing, because if the market DID get it there would not be such an opportunity here.

Right, Tesla building the moat. They know that eventually their technology could be mimicked enough but so long as they have the top of the line experience they will have a lasting business model. Tesla means quality and service.

I feel like the market did alright. It could have been a major selloff and although it fell a bit overall I feel like the support was there. Also, glowing articles are coming out about this announcement which will only help in the long run. And that's what this is about. I don't think Elon or Tesla cares much at all about the short terms implications of things. They're building a lasting company here and the rest of it will take care of itself.

As a long term stake holder I love this. As a short term stakeholder (May options) not as much - but still like it as an overall strategy running up to the next couple announcements and earnings call/guidance. They know they need a long term strategy due to the immediate success they're having. They're doing really well and this is evidence of that.

Right, Tesla building the moat. They know that eventually their technology could be mimicked enough but so long as they have the top of the line experience they will have a lasting business model. Tesla means quality and service.

I feel like the market did alright. It could have been a major selloff and although it fell a bit overall I feel like the support was there. Also, glowing articles are coming out about this announcement which will only help in the long run. And that's what this is about. I don't think Elon or Tesla cares much at all about the short terms implications of things. They're building a lasting company here and the rest of it will take care of itself.

As a long term stake holder I love this. As a short term stakeholder (May options) not as much - but still like it as an overall strategy running up to the next couple announcements and earnings call/guidance. They know they need a long term strategy due to the immediate success they're having. They're doing really well and this is evidence of that.

Well said! +1

I don't think Elon or Tesla cares much at all about the short terms implications of things. They're building a lasting company here and the rest of it will take care of itself.

Yes and no. I think EM's comments and tweets has shown that he DOES care about the shorting of the company, which indicates that he cares about the day-to-day (or at least week-to-week) stock price. I was wondering whether this could be taken as an indication of plans to issue some equity to fund R&D investments and possibly expansion (this would rhyme with the trilogy-of-announcements etc.).

On the other hand, it could just be that it pisses him off that people are betting against his vision and execution. I like the thought of that. :)

Yes and no. I think EM's comments and tweets has shown that he DOES care about the shorting of the company, which indicates that he cares about the day-to-day (or at least week-to-week) stock price. I was wondering whether this could be taken as an indication of plans to issue some equity to fund R&D investments and possibly expansion (this would rhyme with the trilogy-of-announcements etc.).

On the other hand, it could just be that it pisses him off that people are betting against his vision and execution. I like the thought of that. :)

Yeah you're probably right there - if TSLA was to just be a slumping stock, losing value, it would hurt sales. When the stock jumps it is seen as a success and people are more likely to have their attention grabbed and possibly buy a car. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. And naturally the people in the market for a TSLA right now are *probably* aware of securities like these.

Who wants to buy into a loser? Everyone wants to be around a winner and I saw it 13 or 14 years ago (wow getting old!) with Apple. Niche brand, "think different" and all types of announcements that at the time most thought were ho-hum. But they ended up changing everything about something that was mainly mundane. The Apple analogy is dull but it's cliche for a reason I figure. I know for me the last time I felt about a company like TSLA was with APPL and I'm in it long. But I'm also trying to get profits in the short term too. :)

I love what they're doing. In my opinion these guys got it right. It will be up and down on the way up (making options a struggle obviously) but I think holding long is the way to go. You do to I'm sure!

Toward the end of today’s conference call Elon was reluctant to answer a question regarding all-wheel-drive for the Model S. He indicated that was a matter to be discussed in the future. I strongly suspect that AWD will be subject of the later announcement for which we’ve been given the mysterious hint of being under a Tesla driver’s nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.