Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is all very interesting indeed.

My read on this is that a lot of external nonsense is occurring while Tesla itself quietly gains strength. In other words the slide is superficial to the business of Tesla while the strength continues to accumulate unabated and will become reflected in the stock.

The big Q2 downer (battery supply constraint) resolved, 25% Gross Margins inbound, Q3 is the first quarter that combines European sales with US sales (including a carry-over from Q2), production is reputedly ramping to the 600 weekly levels, Q3 profitability GAAP and Non-GAAP in no doubt, lots of big money still requiring 20 straight days of $184 ish to exercise bond conversion, lots of juicy shorts to squeeze.

I have been reviewing the valuation piece respected NYU Prof Damodoran (the only marginally plausible looking valuation analysis that I have seen) and from what I can see it is not only contextually wrong (you can't analogize the disrupted with the disruptor in a market) it is also materially wrong. There is a really gross error in Damodoran's assumptions regards the cost of capital applicable to TSLA sufficient to consider the analysis fundamentally misleading. Just correcting the mathematical error changes the picture from circa $67 to circa $120 immediately and compounding the effect of internally generated cash instead of purchasing cash at up to 10% would amply justify the $200 to $210. Note that the last time Tesla bought cash it did so at 1.5% not 10% (the $600M of bonds), internally generated revenue costs 0%. The whole raft of short-assumptions requiring Tesla to face inevitable dilution beyond staff options incentives to hit ample levels of growth (or large costs of borrowing) is just not true.

It would seem that there is a gorilla in the mist and the mist will inevitably clear. We will not have a regular occurrence of hitting large lumps of metal, by definition isolated random highly improbable events cannot be expected to occur with regularity. More likely Tesla will conclude their technical analysis and Musk will awesome everyone with some highly satisfactory announcement. Regardless of which, as a society we are comfortable with the concept that the freedom of private transportation is so hugely valuable that the occasional incident, including loss of life is in fact tolerated in the trade for that freedom. While so far no loss of life, there has been a fire with a Model S, and with ever increasing numbers it is hard to escape the inevitability that one day there will be another fire and possibly a fatal collision no matter how inherently safe the vehicle or how improbable the circumstances. The reason for that is because it is a road vehicle intended to travel amongst other road vehicles. There is only one point of real difference and it is not whether or not cars suffer or survive accidents, the private transportation offered by Tesla is not just equally valuable when compared with the past, it is more valuable than the technology it replaces providing as it does, value from both replacing an internal combustion engined vehicle and replacing the need for the fuel upon which previous technologies relied.

Here is a google image search for the term "Vehicle Fire". Not a Tesla top be seen (within my limit of patience for looking in any case).

The US government will not fail to vote itself back into operation. The mist will inevitably clear to reveal the gorilla.

In my opinion the recent appearance of $165 ish is in fact a lucky dip for those who have been despairing for the appearance of such an opportunity to reappear.

It is doubly lucky because it has nothing at all to do with the business of Tesla which is in fact improving. It is not as though TSLA slid because it failed to secure enough battery supply for Model E now was it. Long term Tesla will more than likely continue on track to compound sold production by 100% annually for many years to come. There is plenty of un-tapped market, plenty of trend indicators in California to sweep the US and the rest of the world, there is still no viable competition to prevent that from happening, just progress like EV home-wiring in Palo Alto, new store openings (Virginia), new sales in the EU and Asia, owning the Norweigian new vehicle sales space and so on and a company run by a fellow investor named Musk who had the sense and the guts to build Tesla through a recession and come out selling ten years ahead of the market. A guy that pretty much owns space transportation despite crashing and burning his first three rockets and is still gunning for a $43.2bn TSLA market cap because he can.

To conclude these musings for now, I actually put a line in the sand. In fact I thought that $165 was so tasty I bought the company for the first time ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even a tweet from Elon would just be a waste of ammunition. In situations like this all we can do is tough it out. IMO the market is being completely irrational as fear has kicked in. If you are looking long term, this is a great buying opportunity as I still believe we will be over 200 by the end of this year. Short term though is a different story. Unless there is an actual deal made, that oct 17th date will keep many buyers away.

I can't help but notice that some folks on this board have no plans when TSLA goes down. What if TSLA goes to $100? still hold? at what point are some of you planning to sell? Is it really ride it all the way down?

1) True believers and supporters
2) Long, value-oriented investors
3) Short-term traders

Interestingly enough, one can actually be all three at the same time. :tongue:
YES :biggrin:...and that is why I can't decide what category I fit into!

Well I have my Oct 11th $175s ;) I need Tesla to reach minimum $177.2 by Friday to break even. Then again I have Oct 25th $175 as well. And I did buy Oct 25th $145 puts to limit my total downside in this 2 week period. As long as I don't get a margin call during this time it's not an issue because I think the market will recover and this insurance for the two weeks cost me $600. Money I'm easily willing to spend on the insurance. If TSLA falls to $100 my Max loss is $15000 with initial credit of $7500 so not too bad. If there's default I'll just bite the bullet and buy back the Dec $195 puts to what ever loss they are at and re-sell once the market starts to recover if it does...

just a thought about TSLA short interest or short interest in general. The reported short interest means shares ALREADY sold.... which means damage to the downside already done. Now, it's guaranteed buy-back at some point. So if TSLA has 25% (or some high %) short interest, can't one look it at as 25% shares guaranteed to be bought?

The $161 convertible price is interesting however... who gains/hurt if it drops below the convertible price?

Excellent post Julian, can you post your financial findings on Aswath Damodoran's blog? I'd be curious to get his response. I was one of the few that called his assumptions incorrect or based on the wrong metrics.

- - - Updated - - -

Was there any positive news coming from Washington today? It surprises me that the markets didn't stay down. Slightly troubling honestly. Makes me feel like we are going to get hammered tomorrow and/or friday...

At this point, knock on wood* much of it is priced in because we are still at the 50/50 mark. The bulls are placed their bets and the bears placed theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

On the contrary, the market loves Yellen. That is why it didn't tank 2% today.

To echo your point, she's basically a Ben B. understudy

Excellent post Julian, can you post your financial findings on Aswath Damodoran's blog? I'd be curious to get his response. I was one of the few that called his assumptions incorrect or based on the wrong metrics.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, that's a good idea. As a matter of fact, Damodoran pretty much debunked himself on Bloomberg directly after publishing it - he's not a bad guy, he's an academic and he is quite clear to state that given this and this you get that, and given something else you get something different.

Having said that, his piece was IMO colored in a way that really does kinda break the rules of academic impartiality. No matter what it definitely does not deserve to stand as a stool for the shorts because it is missing at least two of its legs. Peer group: No, Cost of Capital: No, and the whole idea that a P:E or any other multiple is inevitably deterministic of a market price which it isn't: No. That's three legs missing out of maybe 4. It's garbage in garbage out which is fine considering that is exactly what Damodoran said it was - i.e. use your own assumptions. Nonsense to see any TSLA long nod in agreement with assumptions inserted by the opposing team because those assumptions are completely incorrect.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, that's a good idea. As a matter of fact, Damodoran pretty much debunked himself on Bloomberg directly after publishing it - he's not a bad guy, he's an academic and he is quite clear to state that given this and this you get that, and given something else you get something different.

Having said that, his piece was IMO colored in a way that really does kinda break the rules of academic impartiality. No matter what it definitely does not deserve to stand as a stool for the shorts because it is missing at least two of its legs. Peer group: No, Cost of Capital: No, and the whole idea that a P:E or any other multiple is inevitably deterministic of a market price which it isn't: No. That's three legs missing out of maybe 4. It's garbage in garbage out which is fine considering that is exactly what Damodoran said it was - i.e. use your own assumptions. Nonsense to see any TSLA long nod in agreement with assumptions inserted by the opposing team because those assumptions are completely incorrect.

I completely agree. I think the discussion was quite good. It was purely academic and he teaches concepts. Everyone kind of spun it out of proportion. He just wanted to talk about corporate valuation methodologies which is one of the classes he teaches. He picked Tesla rightly so because in that few weeks you couldn't turn to one news outlet without hearing about TSLA. I think he just wanted people to step back and not be driven by Euphoria. In his case, the assumptions were wrong, but as we all know... Many things viewed with an academic lens doesn't exactly turn out to be right 99% of the time.

Julian.

While I agree with your assessment and feel that long term TSLA will be a good investment, any thoughts on short term (up to Oct 17th) direction given our current government paralysis?
Thanks Al

TSLA at $168.78

Today, I called my congress rep's office urging them to vote to end the government shutdown which is getting ridiculous. If you have TSLA shares/options, consider calling your congress rep and senator's office and voicing your concerns. Each day the shutdown is causing needless economic damage (gov't workers with no pay and not working, weakening confidence, etc) and that is/will reflect in the equity markets. And then there's the debt ceiling, which if isn't raised will be very, very bad news to the markets.

In terms of price action, it looks like TSLA is holding above the $164 resistance level from last month. Today it crossed the 50 day moving average of $163.55 and but held above it throughout the day. This is the first time TSLA has touched the 50 day moving average since it broke out over $40. I still think it's going to be difficult to break the $160 barrier but there's always risks especially with the debt ceiling deadline looming.

Personally I was a buyer today under $165.

For What it's Worth - I called the Austin Service Center today for my 12,500 mile service. They are happy to schedule me any time, however there are no loaners. They were all sold in September at the end of the quarter. So while that means some extra revenue for Tesla (if this happened nationwide, which is sort of what was implied, 35 Service Centers in NA, times a handful of cars each, say 200 cars sold at $90K average, $18M revenue) more importantly it means demand is still really high. People want this car. I think if people feel Q2 exceeded expectations, I can't wait to see what they call Q3 results.

Status
Not open for further replies.