Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly understand what you're saying, but it seems like options and short term stock movement are fairly inextricably intertwined.

Yeah if you reduce the discussion to "just short term price movements" discussion, then only thing allowed will be "wow the stock moved up .2% in the last 5 min. wait, now it's down". Which is about the least valuable commentary (please no one find some post where I did that :) ) When people say "I bought 180 Oct 19 calls... wish me luck" it is a very precise commentary on where the poster thinks the price will be in a specific timeframe, backed up by real money and not idle thought. The discussion of super duper calendar iron spread plays make my head spin too but we should probably relax.

Yeah if you reduce the discussion to "just short term price movements" discussion, then only thing allowed will be "wow the stock moved up .2% in the last 5 min. wait, now it's down". Which is about the least valuable commentary (please no one find some post where I did that :) ) When people say "I bought 180 Oct 19 calls... wish me luck" it is a very precise commentary on where the poster thinks the price will be in a specific timeframe, backed up by real money and not idle thought. The discussion of super duper calendar iron spread plays make my head spin too but we should probably relax.

I agree with this too. What else are we supposed to talk about? I think that Kevin99's options strategy add a lot fo value to these discussions for example.

Its going to be difficult to get through this resistance point today. IF we do close above 178.50, its a good sign IMHO that we found the bottom of the "new channel".

ZFxtXz9k.png

The close today is above that 178.50 price point at 178.70. I hope you're right about this.

Just wanted to put on record that I loaded up 100% on solar and TSLA today and I am all in. I even threw the kitchen sink at it. If the politicians screw this one up, then I am screwed.

Like I said I have faith in our politicians and they have to do what is right for the people. They can't continue hurting our economy long-term with the games they are playing.

Good luck everyone.
Sleepy posted this yesterday afternoon!

Nicely played. Should not have doubted you. I have about 10% of my investible money on the sideline waiting for the Washington people to get their act together. At least I listened to you 9 out of 10 times so heavy in solar.

I agree with this too. What else are we supposed to talk about? I think that Kevin99's options strategy add a lot fo value to these discussions for example.

I agree as well. Options trading is largely "short term" by nature, and has a significant effect on the price of all stocks. If people only want to pay attention to news articles and research reports, then perhaps we create a thread titled "TSLA news reports tracking?"

If an investor considers the effect of options trading on the stock to be information he or she does not wish to digest, perhaps this investor should not be focused on/trading in the short term, and just read a news ticker while holding long?

Dear Moderator,

How about a separate thread for exchange traded options strategies? This thread has become so cluttered with options discussions that it must be discouraging to non-members who are considering a purchase of TSLA shares and come here to learn something about what might drive the stock. It's been keeping me away.

Curt. I enjoy and highly respect your input to this forum. Please continue to participate! I do not use options. I only hold TSLA. As with most forums, from time to time we get off topic or get a little too heavy into discussing options. However, the options discussion does give me insight in to how some seasoned investors see movements in the stock short term. Some back up their option purchases with information they have obtained through research they have conducted. This research/reasoning which they used for option decisions helps me understand where the stock is headed and I find it very valuable.

Al

I have been reviewing the valuation piece respected NYU Prof Damodoran (the only marginally plausible looking valuation analysis that I have seen) and from what I can see it is not only contextually wrong (you can't analogize the disrupted with the disruptor in a market) it is also materially wrong. There is a really gross error in Damodoran's assumptions regards the cost of capital applicable to TSLA sufficient to consider the analysis fundamentally misleading. Just correcting the mathematical error changes the picture from circa $67 to circa $120 immediately and compounding the effect of internally generated cash instead of purchasing cash at up to 10% would amply justify the $200 to $210. Note that the last time Tesla bought cash it did so at 1.5% not 10% (the $600M of bonds), internally generated revenue costs 0%. The whole raft of short-assumptions requiring Tesla to face inevitable dilution beyond staff options incentives to hit ample levels of growth (or large costs of borrowing) is just not true.

To conclude these musings for now, I actually put a line in the sand. In fact I thought that $165 was so tasty I bought the company for the first time ever.

Julian, One other important aspect of Damodoran's analysis: it's very sensitive to projected growth-rates. Change 70 to 100, you get a much higher share price. Also, his model assumes high growth only up to 5 years. Then it gradually comes down to 3% or something like that. If you plug in your estimate of 100% growth over next 8 years, you will get an astounding share price.

Very glad to know that you bought some shares. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on Tesla. I always felt bad that you weren't enjoying the benefits of your insight.

This brings up an interesting discussion. Since I post yesterday about this thread bringing up as much good as bad, I've been adding more to my ignore list. That's how I filter out the bad stuff. Now viola, half of the messages on the the page are hidden from me. :cool: and I like that much better.

Instead of wishing people not to post something that you don't want to see, the more effective way is to filter them out.

Nevertheless this forum doesn't offer flexible topic subscription. There should be some fine grain subscription model that allow users to select some keyword, tags or people they want to follow, rather than a fixed thread. I was involved in designing flexible hierarchical subject model for enterprise collaboration platform so I know this space well. A good example is Quora. I hope to implement something similar on investnaire.com. Oh I digressed.

Can you further entertain us with Q3 prediction of numbers and guidance? :biggrin: Thanks

Not ready to drill it down to numbers and guidance. What I will say is that my big concern for Q3 coming out of Q2 was that the shorts would have capitulated already and that there would be no surprises left to factor in besides the likelihood of the Q2 warnings of supply chain constraint becoming officially a non issue (Samsung, LG etc, plus the fact that Tesla is obviously pumping out a lot of cars lately presumably with all the required parts).

Thanks to the distractions and yammerings about valuation I am pretty sure it will be business as usual with the stock full of shorts again. I think the shorts will be blind-sided with a GAAP profit and a cash-generative quarter along with an unfactored-in surprise for just how much Euro Q2 production ended up on the books in Q3. This in addition to what looks like a relatively significant production ramp up.

Also the same old story, there appears to be almost no-one modelling for the fact that this business does not need to burn cash for growth in the form of building sales inventory because most models are hung up on standard manufacturing analogies with other auto makers who build cars and receive cash in that order whereby Tesla is the complete opposite.

Prior to Q3 most likely a volatile jungle in which the main trick is not to panic, may well see $190+ pretty directly after the US Govt sorts it's life out. It seems as though opinion polls are dragging the tea party reps to the table sooner than they would ideally like.

Might also get a lucky dip before earnings again like we saw in Q1 and Q2. Post Q3 would be hard to imagine TSLA not seeking out the bull end of Analyst projections in the $200~$210 range as all the hold and sell guys get proven unreliable, again.

Personally I plan to enjoy the fruits of this government debacle (I grabbed some irresistible $175 Oct 18 calls when the price tanked the other day on basically non-buiness-of-Tesla related BS - these are already up 80% but I am digging my heels in for an announcement) and then look for a setup anywhere in the $180s on volatility to go nuts on Q3.

- - - Updated - - -

Julian, One other important aspect of Damodoran's analysis: it's very sensitive to projected growth-rates. Change 70 to 100, you get a much higher share price. Also, his model assumes high growth only up to 5 years. Then it gradually comes down to 3% or something like that. If you plug in your estimate of 100% growth over next 8 years, you will get an astounding share price.

Very glad to know that you bought some shares. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on Tesla. I always felt bad that you weren't enjoying the benefits of your insight.

3% after 5 years is preposterous. We will be looking at 100% in 2014, probably another 100% in 2015, probably another in 2016, definitely another in 2017. Year 5 a 97% drop in growth, never going to happen.

A simple key to Damodoran's analysis is a table with a range of cost of capital. All of which overstate Tesla's cost of capital by somewhere between north of 650% to infinity. Just remove that error and even with the 3% growth after 5 years you get $120+ instead of $67. Put in a sensible ongoing rate of growth and sorry to say the whole Damadoran thing and anything that hangs off it is simply wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.