Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA at close today.

tsla 10.21.13.png

The question is where do we go from here?

Great news from Germany IMO. 40 SC in Germany by 2014 is a big surprise to me. If they are going this big I wonder how many cars they can deliver to US, Norway and China.
England is also a country I think Tesla might surprise in, the fact that ICE-cars have to pay 15$ in road-tax every day in London makes the Tesla cheap.

Regarding the down trend today and the negative article in German magazine.

"Tesla bears say quarter after quarter that the company is burning through cash too quickly to build the infrastructure it wants"

Elon Musk said at Stockholders meeting... analysts are overestimating the costs of super chargers. The rent is cheap because they are largely converting existing parking lots... and making them more desirable by drawing potential customers.

I'm curious what the costs are... the solar panels probably allow the energy cost to be near break even. Any other thoughts?

Yes, superchargers are cheap. The number I've heard is 150-300k each, depending on if they have solar or not. Solar, when fully deployed to all the superchargers which will use it well (i.e. ones in Southern US, probably not ones in Norway), should approximately offset the price of electricity for worldwide supercharger use (i.e. Arizona superchargers will be net positive, to make up for Norwegian ones).

Rent is either low or zero. Think about Barstow, or Lebec. The areas are barren, there is nothing but land nearby. Land costs nothing. Parking lots, out there, cost nothing. There's an enormous parking lot at each place, way more than will ever get used, so using up 4-10 spots of excess parking means nothing. I would imagine the owners of those lots will charge no rent to Tesla, and perhaps be happy about the slight amounts of extra business they bring in. Tesla installs the charger, all the landowner has to do is agree to let them use a few spots exclusively. There's no reason that this should cost anything.

For a few superchargers, e.g. Gilroy or any other ones in a suburban area, there will be some rent cost associated I'm sure. But that will be very minimal and most superchargers will be in rural inter-city areas, instead of intra-city stops.

_________

Also, regarding Germany. I think Germany is more of a "wild card" than China. It's pretty plain to me that the Model S will sell like gangbusters in China. Germany, though, is going to be a harder market. The thing with Germans is they like to buy German things. And Germany happens to make very good cars. Also, EVs are not well suited to the autobahn. However, Germans are very environmentally conscious, they like good quality things which are well-engineered, and there is solar everywhere in Germany, which are all things which will lead them more towards the Model S. I think Germany will be a tougher market to crack than China. But I think everyone who has put thought into this has always expected that Germany would be a strange and difficult market to enter, so if anyone thinks "low German sales" (which, it has been pointed out, have not been proven) should affect the stock price, I think they're wrong about that.

Keep in mind, also, that Tesla is still selling every car it can make. Who cares if Germany doesn't buy them as long as somebody does.

Besides, the JPMorgan thing is much more likely responsible for today's movement in my opinion.

FANGO: As almost every Tesla pays 2000$ for the superchargers, I can guarantee you that Tesla will be fine in Norway. Im pretty sure we will have the lowest ratio in regards to sc vs cars. Our electricity is mainly hydro, so its cheap and green aswell.
The state are providing free chargers all over the place. Norwegians will not buy over 50% EV cars in 2020, I am willing to bet anyone on that. Obviously that is if Tesla can send us thoose 200 000k GEN3 which we want,

Mario Kadastik said:
farzyness: care to check where exactly the lower channel is? Support seems to be around $168 that is flat from the two bounces, but the channel bottom is harder to pinpoint from your chart. $173?

Would be around $172.60 for today. Add roughly another $1 for tomorrow's lower limit.
And today's close is.... $172.60.

- Panasonic will raise their production of cells to allow for a 'theoretical' weekly production of approx 1200 cars

View attachment 33609

From the very, very relevant Munich Event Thread just posted. 1200 cars/week from Panasonic batteries alone is a significant data point, if accurate. As Tesla ramps up production like any manufacturer, adding shifts, more labor and even additional factory space has been seen as much less of a challenge than securing sufficient batteries to meet the massive demand for the Model S worldwide. I would expect that any analyst that properly values TSLA based on supply constraints rather than demand constraints into 2014-2015 should take note. Perhaps we will see some rebounding tomorrow?

For what????? He doesn't need to say anything....
This thread has was good at one point.....it seems to have gotten many posts that have nothing to do with nothing. Guys, Girls, we need to keep this thread at a high level. If there is minutia to discuss lets start a new thread.

The previous post was the information I was looking for. Info about battery production, factory locations in the EU, and other relevant info that Elon felt to share with Europe.

That information should put some significant upward pressure on the stock tomorrow. :). This could be the catalyst we need to start our march up into Q3 ER.

I disagree. Seems to me this emphasis on Germany is new. The market heard a lot of Tesla Motors talking about ramping up Norway, which they've done a great job on. I believe it's going to be news to a lot of the market that the emphasis is shifting to Germany, a much, much bigger market. I think Tesla's right to do this; it's almost as if they knew Norway was a slam-dunk / easy win / low-hanging fruit, so go after it first to get things going in Europe, but really, conquest of Germany is the big win.

I think the news that's going to be coming out this week -- based on Elon's remarks in Munich, and on the upcoming press release -- will materially affect TSLA's price almost immediately.

It's the reversal of the doldrums that we've been looking for, in my opinion. The first of several, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.