Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing much news coverage of the points EM made in his Munich speech...Anyone have any ideas on how his comments can get some publicity?

Wasn't publicized too much, with all the other earnings coming into play and other large events (netflix earnings and Apple's event today). A press release will be sent out on Thursday of what was said in Germany. Expect mass media to pick up on it then.

At the end of the day it seems that the news for slowing down in Germany is a good thing as now the market has low expectations for the operations in Germany and when the Press release comes out that Tesla will produce 200 cars a week only for Germany it will be a big surprise. I will be definitely try to buy as much as I can today and tomorrow.

Seems the market has no clue about the Munich event, pre-market TSLA trading down, bracket right now is 171.35-171.99. I guess we'll all have to stay strong until Thursday press release unless some news source picks the story up over the day. This could be an excellent buying opportunity if you still have money left from all of those buying opportunities the past month. I personally am pretty much all-in, only way would be to take some profit from Solar sector, probably will with those hedged SCTY spreads ...

looking at pre market and tesla is in the red zone while the market in the green, not a good sign for the day right now.
Yea, this is really hurting me. As I mentioned before, I seem to have started buying options just after the only time in TSLA history it's on an extended slide (barring the slide after the IPO bubble). It's not just a bad single day loss, it's been a few weeks now if you look back at the trend from late September. The drops from the fire and debt ceiling at least had a driver behind it. This drop doesn't seem to have any impetus.

I know a bunch of us were wondering if it'd do it's run up to earnings (buy on the rumor thing), but that hasn't materialized at all.

I'm pretty much stuck though unless I want to cut bait and take huge losses. I'm tapped out buying on all the "dips" that were just brief stops on the road down, I can't even buy enough puts to hedge. I guess I have a small taste of what the shorts felt like as they kept increasing their short position on the way up, just in reverse.

Let's say Q3 is a blowout and moves the stock 15%, that puts us at what, ~$195 which is basically back to the point we were at 3 weeks ago. Seems like even a moderately rosy outlook on Q3 doesn't do more than stem the losses.

Last edited:
Yea, this is really hurting me. As I mentioned before, I seem to have started buying options just after the only time in TSLA history it's on an extended slide (barring the slide after the IPO bubble). It's starting to feel like the doom sayers are right, that the eventual correction is here. It's not just a bad single day loss, it's been a few weeks now if you look back at the trend from late September.

I know a bunch of us were wondering if it'd do it's run up to earnings (buy on the rumor thing), but that hasn't materialized at all.

I'm pretty much stuck though unless I want to cut bait and take huge losses. I'm tapped out buying on all the "dips" that were just brief stops on the road down, I can't even buy enough puts to hedge. I guess I know what the shorts felt like as they kept increasing their short position on the way up, just in reverse.

Depending on how far out your expirations are I'd say that don't sweat it, the correction back up will come with the Q3 report the latest or it might take a week to digest the content and then start on the run up. If the expirations are nearer, then you'll have to either indeed cut the losses or hope that the Munich details seep into mainstream press and get coverage enough that guys with big pockets get an understanding on this as well and start a rally upwards. I do know how tough it looks to see the whole portfolio down 10-30% especially if it was up not so long ago and the downturn doesn't look to be on any real news, but if the underlying assumption has not changed, then I'd not cut the cord. Unless you are triggering your own mentally set stops.

Most of you are trading on TSLA long time ago, what do you thing about this movement after the opening? Does the market knows about the Germany as there is no news in the media mainstream or just the stock is recovering from yesterday?

It looks technical to me. Nice bounce off the 50 day moving average. I'd expect us to return to the top of the channel over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.