Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Them becoming buyers could trigger a nice chain reaction and hopefully enough longs that wanted to be out by certain price points are out and the new buyers want to hold to $80 and beyond.

If we closed in the over 70 tomorrow I would be happy. Closed at $75 I would be over joyed. I am just worried about more profit runners and watching the price tumble more like it did at the end of the day. We will have to wait and see. Also the market taking a slip at the end of the day did not help.

I sold half of my position at $74.75 about 30min before the close. That was over a 100% profit for me and brings my position back down to Earth as a percentage of my portfolio. I usually don't like selling half, but the stress has been a little too much for me. I've said for a while that owning TSLA when you're a huge Tesla fan is like betting on your favorite sports team. I've felt for the last 6 months that if I sell it, it will go up like a rocket and if I keep it I'll just be checking the quote 50x a day. I chose to keep it up to this point and decided that selling half gives me the benefit of enjoying a great trade, and feeling ok the next time it pulls back some. I plan to keep the rest for many years. And who knows I might buy more again in the future.

I sold half of my position at $74.75 about 30min before the close. That was over a 100% profit for me and brings my position back down to Earth as a percentage of my portfolio. I usually don't like selling half, but the stress has been a little too much for me. I've said for a while that owning TSLA when you're a huge Tesla fan is like betting on your favorite sports team. I've felt for the last 6 months that if I sell it, it will go up like a rocket and if I keep it I'll just be checking the quote 50x a day. I chose to keep it up to this point and decided that selling half gives me the benefit of enjoying a great trade, and feeling ok the next time it pulls back some. I plan to keep the rest for many years. And who knows I might buy more again in the future.
Congrats. But, I always caution to wait a week before bragging. We will see if correct

- - - Updated - - -

I do not belive half of the short have covered. Today was probably alot buying in, I will buy tomorow. And listening to all the trades done by ppl here, I think there can be alot done by ppl not shorting. I think alot of people shorted after 1.May, especially since it was not possible to short earlier today. I myself know ppl shorting a bunch yesterday.
I hope ppl is abbreviation for people. I never tell my trades but have never shorted this stock

Seriously though, it is incredibly rare for a stock to pop 25+% on a single day, especially following the run that TSLA has had in the past few weeks. I hope many of you took the opportunity to take profits. I'm sensing a lot of irrational exuberance in this thread today. I would *love* to be wrong and see this thing run to 100 in the near term, but what I would *really like* is for the stock to stabilize and consolidate around a price range for a few weeks.

Please remember the old wall street saying:
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered!"

The past month's run has definitely been incredible, and I think it is probably wise for all of us to remember that less than 2 months ago, TSLA was trading in the $35-$40 range. The company still has a lot of challenges ahead, so I think we will see continuing volatility, though the stock will IMO continue to on an upward trend.

Best to "buy and hold" (for years) IMO, celebrate the run ups, and don't sweat the inevitable downturns.

Profit taking.

^^This. At least for today, $75 was tested and found wanting, so the bigs moved in to collect profits. I actually considered selling at $75 and retiring to Tahiti today, but then decided I can afford a bit of patience to see if margin calls have an impact tomorrow or if we are going to start trading in a new (higher) range.

- - - Updated - - -

Weak hands were taking profits. Many may have been day traders.

Not sure if the day traders could move it like that. I can't see it falling so far unless nobody wanted to buy it at those levels.

I'll admit I haven't had time to look at the underlying volumes though, but if it was a bunch of small volume trades you are really looking at a clear lack of demand at those levels, while big traders could just hammer it down quickly with heavy volumes and be assured of a tidy profit at the end of the day.

The past month's run has definitely been incredible, and I think it is probably wise for all of us to remember that less than 2 months ago, TSLA was trading in the $35-$40 range. The company still has a lot of challenges ahead, so I think we will see continuing volatility, though the stock will IMO continue to on an upward trend.

Best to "buy and hold" (for years) IMO, celebrate the run ups, and don't sweat the inevitable downturns.

+1. thats my plan too.

Yesterday during after hours trading I suggested none of us sell, of course no one took me seriously.
I did not sell, I am expecting even higher prices tomorrow, the price will only go up significantly if the shorts are starved shares to exit from their short position (buy to close). I'd again like to suggest restraint, enjoy the moment, and watch the panic buying as the bid is increased $1 at a time to try and "shake the tree" of shares from "weak hands". A true short squeeze depends on shares not being available, let's see if we can make that happen. Remember, we want to see 3 digits :)

This is interesting indeed. But what can we expect according to you?

That Tesla probably was originally designing the Model S to be a Type IV or Type V vehicle based on their public statements in 2009 and 2010. Also that both Tesla and CARB regulators felt that those charging speeds were technically feasible in 2009 (when these regulations were being designed).

It's kinda meaningless in a way because the current SuperCharger system is much slower, but then again we have Elon dropping tweets about extremely rapid recharging.

In practical terms, the charging speeds designed into the regulations might allow the Model S to complete a full Standard Charge in under 15 minutes. The original regulation envisioned a 300 mile car (which the current Model S is under the 2009 2 cycle EPA standards) getting 95% charge in under 15 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to say reading the commentary on here has been wonderful. Avg buy price right now is $31.50! Been watching tesla aggressively for the past two years and you guys have made this an absolute joy, so thanks to all.

Trying to convince dad to buy a couple hundred shares tomorrow.

Be careful with that. You can afford to be patient, but it's just as possible that we've already seen the near term top. Would suck to have your dad buy in and immediately lose 10-15%. If that happens you look bad. If he buys and it starts trading in a range at this level there isn't any benefit to anybody. But if he doesn't buy and the stock goes up you still look like a genius + you get bonus points for envy. The only way you both win is if he buys and it pops tomorrow. You're personal best choice is to keep him out of it until the stock settles down a bit.

Just to be clear, my opportunity matrix is meant as a joke, but fundamentally this is a dangerous time for new buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello... Hello... Hello... Hello...

Short Squeeze... Squeeze... Squeeze... Squeeze...

Going to 100... 100... 100... 100...

Margin Call... Call... Call... Call...

Sorry, just making sure this thread's echo chamber was still working. Yep, seems to be working great. :)

Seriously though, it is incredibly rare for a stock to pop 25+% on a single day, especially following the run that TSLA has had in the past few weeks. I hope many of you took the opportunity to take profits. I'm sensing a lot of irrational exuberance in this thread today. I would *love* to be wrong and see this thing run to 100 in the near term, but what I would *really like* is for the stock to stabilize and consolidate around a price range for a few weeks.

Please remember the old wall street saying:
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered!"

Though in TSLA's case the bears won't be making any money this time, turns out they were actually pigs! :biggrin:

This +10000000000000000000000000.

The only reason I am still in is that I am up a massive amount, and will still be hugely up if we fall back to $55. I can be patient and see how the short squeeze thesis plays out tomorrow. Anyone making aggressive moves into the stock RIGHT NOW is playing a dangerous game. The stock can move either direction in a big hurry, and there is no economic (non-squeeze) reason for the stock to even be at this level.

Goldman Sachs has some of the smartest (as opposed to most ethical) guys on the planet working for them and they see the stock trading at ~$61 after being a consistent booster of Tesla. They are the definition of "smart money." Their guidance obviously doesn't factor in short term movements caused by a "squeeze" scenario, but from a fundamentals standpoint I see them as well within the boundaries of reality.

unless nobody wanted to buy it at those levels.

Or not at that time. Personally I was quite exhausted from trying to follow all events and movements of the day, and at that point it would have been unlikely that I buy something, even if under other circumstances I would (for the same price, theoretically speaking).

Volume at the end of the day was quite high, so my guess would be those were large scale investors who were planning to take profit in the first place, but first wanted to see how high it would go.

- - - Updated - - -

The stock can move either direction in a big hurry, and there is no economic (non-squeeze) reason for the stock to even be at this level.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that. After all, Tesla just made profit, so why would buy shares of it at all, from an "economic" point of view? To me it makes sense to the degree that you see potential in Tesla and want to get in while the price is below $200 (just as an example). Otherwise, why would you care in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.