Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some interesting info. I was talking to a auto Window tinter to do our S. he is on a window tinter forum similar to ours. Someone put a question out there to see if any other tinting companies had experience in tinting tesla. No replies for months. Then he said in April all of a sudden tons of replies and inquires started hitting the post.

So was it that so many more cars were sold or that the heat in jump seats finally started getting Attn or both. My guess is that more cars were sold in Q2. This would support higher 2q results. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that he considers GM being caught off-guard even with the Volt and the Spark EV....
That us because tesla is a real car !

Interesting that he considers GM being caught off-guard even with the Volt and the Spark EV....

While I actually quite like the Volt, I still think of it as a stop-gap on the way to a real EV, and so I don't think it really embraces the lesson the Roadster could have taught them. The Spark EV is just another golf cart as far as I can tell.

What if the hyperloop press conference by Elon is about Tesla or Elon being willing to partner with a company or finance the first hyperloop connection themselves? Perhaps the one from LA to San Fran first...AND that the vacuum tube will be built in such a way that it can carry X number of people and/or a Tesla Model S/X. Imagine driving your Model S to a hyperloop terminal in LA and driving out in SF in your Model S 20 minutes later!!! Would probably take a couple years at least to build the hyperloop, but what do you guys think an announcement like that would do to the stock price the next day? Up 20 bucks? Up 50 bucks?
This is a complete dream here...but what if?

seems to me he made it pretty clear that he wants someone else to do the hyperloop .... If Tesla tried to stay involved I would envision a scenario where Elon had to take over when someone else screwed it up ... and he has no free time ... I think he will post the design open source ... but that's just my two cents

In fact, it's bad news that GM's CEO at all mentions that Tesla could be a disruptive threat. A lot of Tesla's potential upside comes from the fact that it isn't considered a likely threat to the established auto industry, which I very much believe it is. The most spectacular victories in technology occur when an innovative company disrupts an entire industry (see eg. Netflix vs. Blockbuster). If this is more than idle musing from GM's CEO and GM is actually willing to cannibalize its own ICE sales in favor of electric cars, a large part of Tesla's disruptive upside will disappear, since competition in EVs will be more fierce than anticipated. Keep your eyes on these developments in the next year or two.

Off topic yes, but on-topic if it turns out that Tesla has anything to do with Hyperloop in the near-term.

I think Hyperloop as a concept is way cool. But it is a $6-10 billion project that Tesla has no business being anywhere near. People compare Tesla to Apple all the time. Well, if Tesla starts dabbling in Hyperloop stuff, that is very non-Apple behavior (read: major distraction, lack of discipline). Tesla needs to be 1000% focused on execution, production, thrilling customers, expanding the market, scaling the business in a sane and focused way. No Hyperloop fun on the side. This isn't Google with its Google X laboratories. I know Tesla's been at it for 10 years, but now isn't the time to start playing in an R&D sandbox.

So while I am eager to hear about more about Hyperloop, I am even more eager to see great Q2 results and greater Q3 and Q4 results. And Hyperloop, seems to me, has nothing to do with those so it needs to lay low.

Info on the Hyperloop is supposed to be published 5 days after the Q2 earnings report. Elon mentioned he wouldn't talk about the Hyperloop before Tesla was successful. I think he also said it wouldn't be released before Tesla was profitable for two quarters. Could Tesla moving the earnings report date to within a few days of the Hyperloop deadline be a hint that earning will be very good?

Last edited:
What if the hyperloop press conference by Elon is about Tesla or Elon being willing to partner with a company or finance the first hyperloop connection themselves? Perhaps the one from LA to San Fran first...AND that the vacuum tube will be built in such a way that it can carry X number of people and/or a Tesla Model S/X. Imagine driving your Model S to a hyperloop terminal in LA and driving out in SF in your Model S 20 minutes later!!! Would probably take a couple years at least to build the hyperloop, but what do you guys think an announcement like that would do to the stock price the next day? Up 20 bucks? Up 50 bucks?
This is a complete dream here...but what if?

Yes off topic (I guess we should create a hyperloop thread). I totally imagine that a successful hyperloop would transport a car, or a "traincar" of people. (the systems cars would vary for people, a vehicle, or heck cargo). And I agree that Musk needs to fire this off and state clearly that he is not attempting to start a FOURTH world changing project. I think if started to go down the fourth project road, TSLA stock would go down in a big way.

I'm not sure where all the confusion is coming from. Musk has repeatedly stated that he is not going to build the hyperloop, period, end of story. If people actually listen to what Elon says there would be a lot less needless speculation.

+1: I come to this thread for guidance/conversation about TSLA. Given the last few days of wild stock swings I am curious to see what some of the financial people think about the direction of the stock. Thanks

Apologies: Not trying to discourage other discussion..just would like to move that to another thread for commentary. Thanks again

good afternoon,

it's my first post but i've been following this thread regularly now for the past couple of months - thank you all for this incredible wealth of information! it's been an invaluable inspiration that turned me into a very proud stock holder even before my #18,262 gets finalized and ordered.
and now the reason for my post - in the different valuations and projections about the company, i have not encountered any dollar amount attributed to tesla obtaining any revenue from selling 'egallons' at their supercharger stations to an increasing amount of other EVs. as much attention as is spent on estimating sales numbers of Xs and GIIIs, tesla will have the proprietary charging network in place by the time the first other EV will reach a supercharger - starting with toyota, mercedes, bmw and gm. the WSJ had an interesting article on this thought in may - but again without any correlation to company value or profit. Tesla is a Carmaker, But it Could Also Be a Gas Station - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

if somebody could translate this into actual numbers, maybe this will help move the stock price back on track...

In fact, it's bad news that GM's CEO at all mentions that Tesla could be a disruptive threat. A lot of Tesla's potential upside comes from the fact that it isn't considered a likely threat to the established auto industry, which I very much believe it is. The most spectacular victories in technology occur when an innovative company disrupts an entire industry (see eg. Netflix vs. Blockbuster). If this is more than idle musing from GM's CEO and GM is actually willing to cannibalize its own ICE sales in favor of electric cars, a large part of Tesla's disruptive upside will disappear, since competition in EVs will be more fierce than anticipated. Keep your eyes on these developments in the next year or two.

GM announced that they would form a group to study the Tesla threat. It's too late. Way too late.

In order to go electric in a big way, GM would have to reorganize their engineering, begin winding down ICE development, rework supply chains, renovate factories, contain a probable dealership revolt, and do all this while fending off Toyota, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, VW, and others, and maintain enough profits to keep shareholders happy. GM would have had to start this years ago. They had their shot with EV1 and they threw it away!

GM's group will probably take a few months to a year to conduct its study. Then the GM management will take some time to figure out what to do. Then there will be the infighting between managers trying to protect their interests. By the time it's all over years will have passed. Tesla controls not just the IP and engineering know how. They control a whole ecosystem of vehicles, software, robots, stores and Superchargers. This cannot be easily replicated from scratch. It's all the more difficult to do when fighting against institutional momentum.

I was wondering when will Tesla Model S car get it's official crash/safety rating? I read that it's designed to be very crash safe due to: 1) no engine in the front. 2) heavyweight car compared to other sedan of its class. I also stumbled on the unfortunate article about Model S and Accord crash accident, and looked like Model S is very strong and safe.

My thought is if Model S gets really high safety rating, it could become another catalyst for the company in terms of customer interest and the stock performance too. So... any idea about the timeline we get crash safety score?

GM announced that they would form a group to study the Tesla threat. It's too late. Way too late.

In order to go electric in a big way, GM would have to reorganize their engineering, begin winding down ICE development, rework supply chains, renovate factories, contain a probable dealership revolt, and do all this while fending off Toyota, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, VW, and others, and maintain enough profits to keep shareholders happy. GM would have had to start this years ago. They had their shot with EV1 and they threw it away!

GM's group will probably take a few months to a year to conduct its study. Then the GM management will take some time to figure out what to do. Then there will be the infighting between managers trying to protect their interests. By the time it's all over years will have passed. Tesla controls not just the IP and engineering know how. They control a whole ecosystem of vehicles, software, robots, stores and Superchargers. This cannot be easily replicated from scratch. It's all the more difficult to do when fighting against institutional momentum.

If I was a doctor I would give GM 10 to 20 years until they die. Sometime between 2020 and 2025 everyone will be scambling to make EVs. GM is too big and cumbersome to change. Unless they get very serious before 2020 I beleive they will struggle to survive. People will say they are too big to die that quickly but it is there size that will kill them.

I was wondering when will Tesla Model S car get it's official crash/safety rating? I read that it's designed to be very crash safe due to: 1) no engine in the front. 2) heavyweight car compared to other sedan of its class. I also stumbled on the unfortunate article about Model S and Accord crash accident, and looked like Model S is very strong and safe.

My thought is if Model S gets really high safety rating, it could become another catalyst for the company in terms of customer interest and the stock performance too. So... any idea about the timeline we get crash safety score?

I thought it was already announced 5 stars. Don't cars have to be rated before they go one the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.