Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an FAQ item posted on Tesla's website about NHTSA (US government) crash ratings. It said that NHTSA had ordered a Model S for crash test purposes, and they expected to deliver the vehicle Spring/Summer 2013. I would expect results by this Fall at latest.

When does "Fall" officially start this year for the USA?

I'm sure most of anybody here is betting on a 5-star rating so if we can know when the report will be released we can all place our bets and buy in before the report which will likely lead to an increase in the stock price i hope?

Interesting on the jan 2014 call @60 has virtually no time value. Why is that?
The advantage of options is the large leverage. When the call is so far in the money it is very expensive and you loose the leverage, same money buys a tenth the number of contracts. If short squeeze they do get there time factor back though. However you have the advantage of decreased leverage as well and it almost runs dollar for dollar with the stock and on a 60 call will essentially double rise and fall. At end end can convert to stock and if a 20 percent rise in price would either have same number of shares plus 20 percent cash or 20% more shares

2. Tesla has made significant advances in using software to monitor each battery cell and control cooling or even shut-off of individual cells. This is no trivial task.

Not to continue this off topic discussion too much more but Tesla can not shut off individual cells. Each cell is connected with wires on the negative and positive ends to a sheet shared with other cells. These are welded connections. The only way to disconnect a cell is for one of those wires to burn through, like a fuse. Tesla has done an amazing job of managing the 18650 form factor, but it's not magic, and it's not an ideal way to build a pack. It is currently the most cost effective and energy dense way to do so, but that may not always hold true for reasons I've previously outlined.

No one else uses the 18650 format, and in no way is connecting a cell with a piece of wire patentable. That's how cells have always been connected in one form or another. Tesla just made the wire very small to act as a fuse. It's a clever way to handle fusing thousands of small cells, which at this time is the only way to get lower cost energy dense packs. Maybe mods would like to pull out these pack discussions and put them into one of the Tesla battery threads.

No one else uses the 18650 format, and in no way is connecting a cell with a piece of wire patentable. That's how cells have always been connected in one form or another. Tesla just made the wire very small to act as a fuse. It's a clever way to handle fusing thousands of small cells, which at this time is the only way to get lower cost energy dense packs. Maybe mods would like to pull out these pack discussions and put them into one of the Tesla battery threads.

I agree that its impossible to patent a wire connecting a battery to something, and that this shouldn’t be in this thread ! My point was that Tesla managed to get patent 7433794 which makes specific claims in conjunction with others that its energy store for automotive use, using a plurality of cells individually fused (instead of a considerably more expensive system using individual PCM's etc) and is all part of the ways of mitigating thermal runaway, which arguably could prevent a similar design from competitors.

Meanwhile TSLA is bouncing around $119 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.