Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla (TSLA) Estimates Cut at Jefferies, 'Buy' Maintianed; Investors Should Step Back and Look at Achievements

"Jefferies analyst Elaine Kwei reiterated a Buy rating and $210 price target on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) post earnings but lowered estimates through next year."

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+%28TSLA%29+Estimates+Cut+at+Jefferies%2C+Buy+Maintianed%3B+Investors+Should+Step+Back+and+Look+at+Achievements/8852085.html?si_client=intbro

This one is quite positive (despite what the title suggests).... today all the bets are off..... so much news to digest.....the market will go crazy.

Well friends. The fundamentals of TESLA have not changed, in fact, they look good moving forward. I will be putting together what money I can risk and after watching the prevailing 'wind' in early trading I will be buying TSLA. My small foray into weeklies (calls) will not happen again. LEAPS and stock for me with regards to TSLA.

I hope for a better short term outlook for the stock but realize I am not smart enough for short term option play.

Stay strong, go long.

Well friends. The fundamentals of TESLA have not changed, in fact, they look good moving forward. I will be putting together what money I can risk and after watching the prevailing 'wind' in early trading I will be buying TSLA. My small foray into weeklies (calls) will not happen again. LEAPS and stock for me with regards to TSLA.

I hope for a better short term outlook for the stock but realize I am not smart enough for short term option play.

Stay strong, go long.

I'm with you. And even the smart ones lost their shirts this time, so I'd say short term option play = gambling. It can be fun and rewarding but extremely risky.

I see a JV as a likely result. So TSLA would for example bear 50% of the costs. On the other hand, the Asian (most likely Panasonic) partner would probably have to be convinced to build this factory in California near the TSLA plant, which he may object to.

I don't see a battery partner taking 100% of the risk to build this "giga" factory for a single customer given the sums involved.

if it involves supplying other customers, TSLA would probably fear risking intellectual property (at least, that's what TSLA bulls contend arguing TSLA's BMS and batteries are years ahead of the competition for cars).

You've made some assumptions here that I don't think are necessarily correct and based on things staying the same. First, who says it's only a partnership of two? Why can't it be a partnership of Tesla, Panasonic (or LG, or Samsung) and Daimler and Toyota and/or someone else we haven't even thought of, like a private investor or company? Secondly, who says the giga factory is for just a single customer or that it would remain for just a single customer? Thirdly, who says the battery factory has to be in California near Fremont? North America was thrown out, but last time I checked, that's a big place. It's also been mentioned before that Tesla is considering a secondary NA factory not in California for Gen III production. Fourth, since when has Tesla feared anything?

You're thinking in a way too small box.

I definitely think another joint venture is in the cards. I'm going to introduce a outlandish idea, but not as crazy as you think. From a supplier stand point... We need to think whose interest will a raw materials factory and battery factory serve most. Who uses a lot of lithium, silicone chips, glass for screens, and aluminum? Apple. Tons and tons of it. I think in the near future there could very well be collaboration on the supplier front for Apple and Tesla, purely from a cost and battery engineering standpoint.

Apple needs to boost margins, get more out of batteries, and has the money to build facilities that are green. Just throwing it out there.

You've made some assumptions here that I don't think are necessarily correct and based on things staying the same. First, who says it's only a partnership of two? Why can't it be a partnership of Tesla, Panasonic (or LG, or Samsung) and Daimler and Toyota and/or someone else we haven't even thought of, like a private investor or company?

You're thinking in a way too small box.

Maybe I was listening a bit too hard, but Elon's exact words yesterday were that Panasonic is the primary partner for batteries. What I took away from that was confirmation that they are courting a number of battery suppliers, and as you have said above, it's anyone's guess as to how much or little involvement any other supplier may have in future developments.

Maybe I was listening a bit too hard, but Elon's exact words yesterday were that Panasonic is the primary partner for batteries. What I took away from that was confirmation that they are courting a number of battery suppliers, and as you have said above, it's anyone's guess as to how much or little involvement any other supplier may have in future developments.

And as the primary supplier, Panasonic may want to foot the entire bill, take all the risk, and reap all the rewards, or not. Whomever it's going to be, we at least know the decision to do it has to be relatively soon. There's lots of empty factories in North America, but I don't think one exists of the size required so some expansion has to happen. It's possible to renovate an existing factory that has additional land, get things up and running in that space for year one of GENIII and then build on. No matter how you do it, it's a mammoth undertaking and a lot of people are going to have a hard time wrapping their brains around the concept, and what it all means for the whole world. It's entirely against human nature to think on this grand of a scale, particularly when they have a hard time just figuring out that they don't actually drive 6,000 miles a day and thusly a 200+ mile EV will suit them just fine. :)

All I can say, if I'm one of the other big boys, I just puked up my breakfast and know I'm about to be forced to walk the plank.

Last edited:
Short Sale Circuit Breakers went off.... limit on short sales until nov 8....

The IV crush on options has been incredible! I'm in awe of the destruction....... I'm down significantly....but I'll live to fight another day thanks to my hedges. Glad I kept a cool head and, while risking some, didn't overextend myself.

But I am impressed that the stock is holding up at $158 and not dropping like stone. The analyst upgrades might help indeed keep this as a bottom. I sold one Nov and one Dec option at market and of course that's worse than what it's at now as the IV was immediately 60% for Nov and 50% for Dec. Now it's mostly waiting and seeing what today brings as we're about to break $160 again.

Obviously the stock isn't falling like a stone today... to me this says the new value of the stock was set last night by institutions who are the majority of the after-market traders. Previously I was expecting to see a huge flight to safety by weak long individual investors this morning... potentially taking us to the $140's... but that is not happening. Nothing remotely like that. We're already half an hour into teh trading day and it's up $3-$5 over the after-hours level. Either these weak longs simply haven't read the news yet, or they are still fundamentally behind the stock and are willing to ride out this fall of 10%-12%.

I am transferring money right now and will buy some today as soon as I can.

Perhaps we can even be back to $180 in a month!

Status
Not open for further replies.