Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a steal, relatively speaking.
BTW, it seems the Falcon 9 rocket launch is successful, except they lost video link after second stage had been riding fine for a while.
Can't tell if any of that is an omen. ;-)

The launch was a success, Elon tweeted that already. The loss of video is normal, the vehicle got just too far for the standard equipment to pick up video feed, the telemetry is still good.

That for me caps off a perfect day with Model S delivery, huge amount of media coverage in Estonia (really surprised how popular the topic is, now just need to worry if it comes back and bites me somehow in tax board ways or what not). Had to recharge my phone 2x during the day. And then the nice 16% pop today. Well could have been me tweeting and Elon replying ;) Nah, that happened in the final hours of the trading though Steve Jürvetson also shared on his FB the fact that Model S made front page news. But it's good to see we're fully confirming the exit of the downwards channel now. It was nice to finally see a serious green day in the portfolio ;)

My guess is also never. The Whitehouse had several other pressing things to talk about, like Syria, fiscal cliff negotiations and that was before the whole healthcare.gov mess. The republicans will probably try to keep that fire burning all the way until the next election, even if it is working OK before then. The auto dealer monopoly issue is sadly quite small in comparison to some of the more important things going on these days like immigration reform.

If a Republican president gets voted in, that will keep the lid on the issue as well. If another democrat gets voted in, I suppose there is a chance.

If the auto dealers do anything stupid and/or get themselves put into the spotlight, perhaps that might trigger some movement.

Since all that was totally off-topic, I will now talk about TSLA :)

$142... from the low of $117 or so, that is half-way back up to $167 which I think the stock sat around for about 3 weeks in August/September. Could we say that TSLA is half-way back to a stable position?
"If the auto dealers do anything stupid". That only happens about 1,000 times a day!

The launch was a success, Elon tweeted that already. The loss of video is normal, the vehicle got just too far for the standard equipment to pick up video feed, the telemetry is still good.

That for me caps off a perfect day with Model S delivery, huge amount of media coverage in Estonia (really surprised how popular the topic is, now just need to worry if it comes back and bites me somehow in tax board ways or what not). Had to recharge my phone 2x during the day. And then the nice 16% pop today. Well could have been me tweeting and Elon replying ;) Nah, that happened in the final hours of the trading though Steve Jürvetson also shared on his FB the fact that Model S made front page news. But it's good to see we're fully confirming the exit of the downwards channel now. It was nice to finally see a serious green day in the portfolio ;)

Did he sell all his stock? Maybe just to buy back at a lower price?

Off-topic, but a colleague of mine knows Jurvetson's family and he told me something like Steve's grandfather had been a prime minister of Estonia - would you know anything about that, Mario?

Did you make the good business decision?

Congrats to everyone who owned TSLA today. A huge weight off the back for Longs.

The tsunami of FUD (3 Tesla fires & valuation) gave me pause. I questioned my decision making. I told my wife over and over, that no one had ever been permanently injured in a Model S. Real businessmen have the ability to differentiate between fearful nonsense and obvious reason. It is not often I pat myself on the back. In this case, faced with an enormous amount of bullshit, I stuck to my guns.

Tesla, is about doing well while doing the right thing. Making the right business decision.

The shorts will be back. This war will continue for years. Use your best judgement, and make strong business choices. Congrats to all the longs, I wish you long-term success.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements

Curt, Citizen, Dave, any thoughts on today's movement from a technical standpoint?

TSLA's price action was surprisingly strong yesterday. And this came after a fairly positive last week (downward momentum was stopped and it had entered into a sideways movement with hopes of a near-term uptrend). Yesterday was clearly a breakout day beyond most anyone expected. The surprisingly part was that after a big gap up opening, the stock didn't fade but kept going higher and higher. There were various points where it would be expected for the stock to fade a bit but rather than that it consolidated a bit and just went higher. To me this shows that big buyers (ie., institutions) were back buying in force yesterday. Traders themselves can't (or at least it's highly unlikely) make that kind of movement sustainable because they are mostly just amplifying the movements that buying/selling is already doing. Also, smaller investors (ie., retailers) I don't think are in the right mood right now to flock into TSLA after the mega 40% drop and most are still licking their wounds and are cautious. So, we'll see today if TSLA can hold it's gains from yesterday. But obviously it's the market that will determine its range/price.

Personally, I've been expecting a bounce back sometime from the over-correction. I've mentioned this before but under $15b market cap for TSLA is just too low and big value buyers probably were buying it up while most retailers sat out too scared to do much when it was in the 120s. I think a more healthy range for TSLA at the moment would be somewhere between $145-165 (this is absent of any major good/bad news).

- - - Updated - - -

You meant above $143, right? ;)

Seriously. Didn't expect it just to skip over the 130s in a day.

Last edited:
TSLA's price action was surprisingly strong yesterday. And this came after a fairly positive last week (downward momentum was stopped and it had entered into a sideways movement with hopes of a near-term uptrend). Yesterday was clearly a breakout day beyond most anyone expected. The surprisingly part was that after a big gap up opening, the stock didn't fade but kept going higher and higher. There were various points where it would be expected for the stock to fade a bit but rather than that it consolidated a bit and just went higher. To me this shows that big buyers (ie., institutions) were back buying in force yesterday. Traders themselves can't (or at least it's highly unlikely) make that kind of movement sustainable because they are mostly just amplifying the movements that buying/selling is already doing. Also, smaller investors (ie., retailers) I don't think are in the right mood right now to flock into TSLA after the mega 40% drop and most are still licking their wounds and are cautious. So, we'll see today if TSLA can hold it's gains from yesterday. But obviously it's the market that will determine its range/price.

Personally, I've been expecting a bounce back sometime from the over-correction. I've mentioned this before but under $15b market cap for TSLA is just too low and big value buyers probably were buying it up while most retailers sat out too scared to do much when it was in the 120s. I think a more healthy range for TSLA at the moment would be somewhere between $145-165 (this is absent of any major good/bad news).

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously. Didn't expect it just to skip over the 130s in a day.

Makes sense that institutions are buying back in. But I also wonder how much of yesterdays movement was due to some shorts covering? I personally hope we don't see a squeeze like before, but more of a gradual rise. Provides more buying opportunities :)

What appeared to be a breakout might have been deceiving. The first chart is what I have been going off of for a while now. After seeing the breakout take a pause, I went looking for more. See the the second chart with "new trend lines", I believe it might tell the story. I'm still very cautious here, until we clear more resistance or establish a stronger, consistent uptrend. Again, no advice, just what I'm seeing. As always, eagerly waiting to get long again (I'm currently long with ~20% of my original/intended holdings).

0P3nOCzp.png

I2fTx3Xm.png

Can you provide updated charts? Did yesterday's gain change your analysis?

I think yesterday was a short squeeze. It was a bit overdone. I could see a jump of maybe 10, but 20 in a day? Came so close to going long on Monday at 125, but didn't. Now I'm sitting on the sidelines again trying to figure out where to get in. Congrats to everyone who enjoyed yesterday's run up. Major resistance at 145. That was the top before it dumped to 120. This 137-138 area is where TSLA danced around before dropping to 135 and then to 120. For me it is safer to purchase at >146 than at current prices, but then again I just might buy in again in the 130's with a tight stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.