Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TheStreet has proven a number of times that they are anti-Tesla and will make up any set of numbers they need to to prove the point. Just glancing at that "article" and them taking into account battery depreciation (another made-up number) as a counter to overall annual use costs to compare to the Audi, without taking into account regular ICE maintenance on the Audi just shows how ridiculous the whole comparison is.

Has anyone else seen this article?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1276...sel-is-the-secret.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

It just goes to show you how good the Model S is. The basis of this articel is how much better this Audi DIESEL is than the all ELECTRIC Model S. His annual cost expenses are kind of amusing especially since he does not mention the cost of oil changes, belt replacements, fuel filters, oil filters, etc. Unless of course Audi covers all this. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

One point where he is blatantly incorrect based on assumption is the Model S battery degredation. I've seen many owners here who have had the car for more than a year with no complaints about a battery degradation. Again, correct me if i'm wrong.

Hey give him credit for reviving the lost breed: The ICE-is-better-than-EV article. He is making these errors:

1) His economic argument is founded on the idea that the car battery will depreciate from 30k to 10k, while the deisel Audi powertrain will not depreciate at all. The battery depreciation is overstated and the ICE depreciation is understated (nil). Diesels do run a long time but there is non-zero wear. There is reason to believe the non-battery portion of an EV drivetrain will age gracefully, and the batteries will probably age better than critics think too, but no point arguing that until the data is in.
2) He is saying buying gas at gas stations is a feature not a bug. This is a long settled matter. For in-town driving EV's beat easily, having been charged at home. He presumes all driving is long road trips in which gas stations are indeed convenient. but only a tiny fraction of miles driven are road trips. For that the SC network is being built out and that advantage will diminish over time.
3) He is, like everyone else, ignoring the externalities of carbon. He snidely says that audi buyers are subsidizing Teslas. Fine. But Tesla drivers are subsidizing Audi driver's ability to use higher carbon intensive fuel and not pay for the exhaust. Also, the oil industry receives subsidies. No one ever attempts to provide a true accounting on subsidies. Only the newer and honest subsidy is mentioned.

TheStreet has proven a number of times that they are anti-Tesla and will make up any set of numbers they need to to prove the point. Just glancing at that "article" and them taking into account battery depreciation (another made-up number) as a counter to overall annual use costs to compare to the Audi, without taking into account regular ICE maintenance on the Audi just shows how ridiculous the whole comparison is.

One must really wonder about the author's motivation for not merely touting the Audi A8, but selecting Tesla in particular to deride. If he is a Tesla short seller or one of their shills, then TheStreet owed us mention of that.

People who buy luxury cars do not require 868 miles of range. That's over 17 hours when averaging 50 mph. They prefer planes for long distances. If the author has sufficient wealth, he should know that.

In addition to reduced maintenance and fuel costs, Tesla Model S owners avoid having to spend even five minutes at a gas station. Instead they take a few seconds to plug the car into an outlet in their garage to top off the battery overnight. During the rare occasions in which they may drive the car for a long trip, then while stopping to eat and visit a restroom they recharge at free Tesla Supercharger stations that are ever growing in number. The author must have known all this, but nevertheless was intent on spreading FUD.

Last edited:
One must really wonder about the author's motivation for not merely touting the Audi A8, but selecting Tesla in particular to deride. If he is a Tesla short seller or one of their shills, then TheStreet owed us mention of that.

the author of this piece, Anton Wahlman, is the same guy who put a picture/post on facebook (content below), that CNBC/thestreet's Jim Cramer talked about in the beginning of the month as a sign that the i3 was taking Tesla's sales. This led to some commentary from Cramer saying he was tired of overzealous Tesla fans barraging his twitter. IIRC he was implying Tesla had a crowd of irrational followers jumping all over him. He's been calling TSLA a "cult" stock for the past year.

infamous Tesla shorter Doug Kass is also affiliated with thestreet.com. a bit fishy.

"Outside the most Tesla-dense coffee/breakfast coffee shopicon1.png in the whole world: A new King is born," read Wahlman's sardonic caption.
tesla-model-s-cars-parked-on-santana-row-san-jose-ca-april-2013-photo-anton-wahlman_100425190_s.jpg
Tesla Model S cars parked on Santana Row, San Jose, CA, April 2013 [photo: Anton Wahlman]

"The rows and rows of Teslas suddenly disappeared like wide ties and lapels from 1974. 1,700 pounds and $30,000 less, this is the new automotiveicon1.png fashion."

Stock Commentator Jim Cramer Caught Off Guard By Tesla-Fan Ferocity

Has anyone else seen this article?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1276...sel-is-the-secret.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

It just goes to show you how good the Model S is. The basis of this articel is how much better this Audi DIESEL is than the all ELECTRIC Model S. His annual cost expenses are kind of amusing especially since he does not mention the cost of oil changes, belt replacements, fuel filters, oil filters, etc. Unless of course Audi covers all this. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

One point where he is blatantly incorrect based on assumption is the Model S battery degredation. I've seen many owners here who have had the car for more than a year with no complaints about a battery degradation. Again, correct me if i'm wrong.

It's Anton Wahlman, who's shown a very consistent pattern of just not getting it.

Good ol' Anton. Anti-Tesla article every week. Self-proclaimed "journalist" but he's really just a moronic tool with an agenda who, indeed, just doesn't get it.

He's a "member" of the Model S Facebook page. Says he's pro-EV. Called him out on his BS long ago, and he never proves me wrong about that.

FUD boy scraping for pennies for people to read his articles. My guess is he's a short who's deep in the red and praying for something to get him out of the hole he dug for himself.

Sorry Anton, no stopping this train now. You lose, buddy.

I like the support that 240 seems to be. It doesn't want to give it up. Hopefully it's a consolidation before the next leg up.

I am thinking though that there may be some profit-taking Thursday before close before the long weekend. If there is, I am going to pick up some shorter-term options expecting it to bounce back up next week.

Tesla To Surpass Q2 Sales Expectations, Imports 585 Model S To China Through May

Says that Q2 sales (deliveries) will surpass guidance. This was posted around 8:00 am PST this morning so I guess it didn't have much of an effect - maybe WS didn't catch wind of it (it wasn't posted in bigger sources until after close from what I can tell) or maybe it is discounted because it is of course just speculation.

Tesla To Surpass Q2 Sales Expectations, Imports 585 Model S To China Through May

Says that Q2 sales (deliveries) will surpass guidance. This was posted around 8:00 am PST this morning so I guess it didn't have much of an effect - maybe WS didn't catch wind of it (it wasn't posted in bigger sources until after close from what I can tell) or maybe it is discounted because it is of course just speculation.

I don't really buy their estimates, it looks like they ballpark a few things and don't really have sources for any of it. If I can skim the article and go "doubtful" and I'm a long, I'm sure the rest of the world skims it and goes "uhh, whatever".

EDIT: actually it looks like his estimates might be on the conservative side, if anything, based on the china-delivery forum.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that for long-term investors the time to buy is now. Buy before it gets to $265. After that momentum may take it well above $300, but it would likely pull back to around $265. So either buy now to hold or wait until it cycles back.

Down on another santos seeking alpha article claims Norwegian sales down 47 % last month secondary to decreased demand! his constant theme for a year. Ignores increased wait time for car and production limitation with more cars going to England and china. He always claims not to be short and can't help but wonder why he isn't if he believes his own FUD

Status
Not open for further replies.