Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A "Net Zero Energy" factory is Historic in it's conception, design, and innovation. We are discussing Elon's take on stock price action.

I do not agree with you gentlemen. The discussion ought to focused on the paradigm shift that the Gigafactory represents.

Don't forget CNBC is not a car network but a financial network. The stock price is the only topic.

it was the nature of their coverage of Elon's comments on the stock price I was agreeing could have been better, not some expectation that their focus should have been so much on the GFactory as not to ask about the stock price. other's here have reported CNBC airing the Elon's "bit high" description of the stock price while editing out his immediate clarification that he thinks the price is good for those investing for the long term but that is less clear in the short term.

fwiw, I agree that this is more of a concern re CNBC and other financial "news" outlets, than Phil Lebeau who rather consistently does a better job than most in knowing the facts and reporting evenly on Tesla. Editing Elon's comments to the point their meaning was changed I would imagine was not Lebeau's decision.

A "Net Zero Energy" factory is Historic in it's conception, design, and innovation. We are discussing Elon's take on stock price action.

I do not agree with you gentlemen. The discussion ought to focused on the paradigm shift that the Gigafactory represents.

Great point. He is honest yes, but would sometimes benefit from at least a bit more capacity to focus on his own talking points rather than to answer every question he gets to his best ability.

it was the nature of their coverage of Elon's comments on the stock price I was agreeing could have been better, not some expectation that they focus more on the Tesla's products. other's here have reported CNBC airing the Elon's "bit high" description of the stock price while editing out his immediate clarification that he thinks the price is good for those investing for the long term but that is less clear in the short term.

fwiw, I agree that this is more of a concern re CNBC and other financial "news" outlets, than Phil Lebeau who rather consistently does a better job than most in knowing the facts and reporting evenly on Tesla. Editing Elon's comments to the point their meaning was changed I would imagine was not Lebeau's decision.

CNBC played the full comment on a Fast Money and debated the short vs. long term comment. They've been pretty fair overall but do sensationalize for ratings at times.

CNBC played the full comment on a Fast Money and debated the short vs. long term comment. They've been pretty fair overall but do sensationalize for ratings at times.

I am glad to hear CNBC also played the full comment on that show in addition to running an edited sensationalized version the same day (as others on TMC have reported). I do not agree that CNBC has been fair overall in their Tesla coverage from the clips of their shows I've seen via Yahoo Finance the past two years. Clearly, there's a subjective element in assessing that point, and it's probably not worth spending time trying to persuade each other on the question of how fair or unfair CNBC has been (especially on this thread).

I hate it when he does that. Every time I somehow end up with more shares afterwards and TSLA just occupies a bigger share of my net worth. My money management alarm bell has been ringing non stop since the F***

Ha ha! That's exactly what has happened with me. Next week or so, I may plot out here each of my entry points. Might be fun to compare 'em.

I think that we are overdue for upgrades from quite a few analysts. List below includes companies that did not update their Price Targets since Q4-2013/Q1-2014. Since we have two major pieces of new information that these older PT did not account for - 100K car/year run rate at the end of 2015 and mammoth size of State incentives for GF ($1.25B vs. projected $0.4-0.5B) - I think that we can see some updated PTs fairly soon

Company ____________Last PT Update____PT Old-->PT New
Baird..........................3/17/2014.............245-->275
Wedbush....................3/27/2014.............295-->275
Norhtland...................2/20/2014..............230-->253
Morgan Stanley...........2/25/2014..............153-->320
Jeffries.......................2/20/2014.............190-->220
Dougherty $ Co............2/20/2014.............200-->325

Last edited:
I have long term investments and short term speculations. They are not mutually exclusive. Yes Elon is entitled to express his opinion, and so are we.

CEOs ought to consider both the long term as well as the short term. All this said, I am not pissed at Elon.

I will however analyze both short term catalysts as well as long term catalysts.

Throughout Elon's response he is smiling. Diarmuid O'Connell is not. My original point was that Elon's and Diarmuid's reaction told a different story.

I earlier stated why I thought Elon might have handled the question the way he did. That does not mean I completely agree he properly administered his fiduciary duty to all of the company’s shareholders. His response may have appeared particularly ill-timed, considering that it was made two days after the Chief Financial Officer and three Directors (including his brother) disposed of shares.

I’m a retired TV financial journalist who also coached executives on how to handle interviews. If it were me, I would have answered, “The proper share price is up to investors and analysts. My job is to insure that the company is eventually quite profitable. The Gigafactory that we just announced here is a big part of that.” That should have set up LeBeau to follow-up with a Gigafactory question. The lead Tesla headlines would then have been about the Gigafactory, and not the CEO’s opinion of the share price. If Elon wants some measure of control over the share price, that can be done with the timing of announcements other than his opinion of the share price.

Elon may owe relatively little to speculators, but there are good people he may not know personally who could have been affected, e.g. a recent retiree who stayed with his TSLA shares during his last four working years, and was planning to switch to interest or dividend paying investments to provide income for his retirement.

Last edited:
Quote from Elon today in Japan:

Tesla CEO: wouldn't be surprised if future deal with Toyota

TOKYO (Reuters) - Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Monday that he would not be surprised if there was a significant deal with Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) in the next two to three years, though there were no definitive plans.

Tesla was supplying batteries for certain RAV4 electric vehicles but that program was expected to end this year.

Quote from Elon today in Japan:

Tesla CEO: wouldn't be surprised if future deal with Toyota

TOKYO (Reuters) - Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Monday that he would not be surprised if there was a significant deal with Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) in the next two to three years, though there were no definitive plans.

Tesla was supplying batteries for certain RAV4 electric vehicles but that program was expected to end this year.

Wasn't there a first-right-to-refusal agreement with Daimler at some point? Seems ages ago, and completely out of the question today that any car company would be able to buy Tesla. So talk about some significant deal down the road is probably referring to engineering services or technology/parts sharing, like is the case between Daimler and Tesla with the Model S.

Anybody's guess at this point what Elon's statement means... But fun to speculate nevertheless.

StreetInsider:

Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) is on watch Monday as the auto company begins deliveries of its Model S sedans to customers in Japan.
Speaking during a press conference on Monday, Musk noted An important point that I should emphasize about the Model S is that the batteries are all made in Japan ... the heart of Model S is Japanese. I think that’s a pretty cool thing.
Tesla and Panasonic recently partnered on the upcoming Gigafactory battery factory. It's expected that Panasonic will pitch in about 30 to 40 percent of the total cost, with Tesla covering the rest.
Nine Model S units were delivered Monday, one to Panasonic EVP Yoshi Yamada. Shares of Tesla are indicated higher in early

Status
Not open for further replies.