Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a lot of discussion about a head and shoulders top forming in the Nasdaq.

Did the Nasdaq Just Start a Prolonged Head-and Shoulder Decline? - Yahoo Finance

Any comments on this?

I am concerned for quite some time and I am planning how to react in case of major selloff. Probably short position in the index is not a bad idea as a security. Nevertheless the pattern is still not formed. It requires Nasdaq to drop 100 pips more and head and shoulders will be formed. Until then I do not see a reason for worries. I saw Tesla forming similar reverse patterns several times but they were not finished.

Additional drop in TSLA in case of market doomsday is likely but in my opinion will not be sustainable as there is no incremental reason for Tesla value to decrease different than panic in the markets. The investors are getting scared and those who do not understand the value of tesla good enough will sell their shares now and buy them latter when the market is stable, but on higher price. For me this will be rear opportunity to finally open substantial positions on even lower price.

If this happens the profits from my short position in Nasdaq will pay for positions in Tesla.

Catalysts Today that may not have hit the bots fully:

-Elon provides Gigafactory hints in Beijing -- "I would be surprised if Panasonic is not our partner" for Gigafactory.
-DB Recommends TSLA inclusion in the S&P500 -- "TSLA ranks number three of the largest U.S. companies not in the S&P 500"
-NFLX beat estimates like a boss and is up almost 8% on the news, potentially disproving some of the "momentum stocks should be devalued further" myth
-"Demand peaking" myth debunked -- Chinese customers are whining like greedy kids on Christmas morning that they can't get their Model S deliveries faster (like we all do here), Model X reservations in US are off the charts providing significant cashflow to Tesla, and I suspect the model S continues to outsell competition from Mercedes, BMW and Audi in USA on a quarterly basis.

As we power forward into earnings, there is quite a bit of positive TSLA news that I believe has not had the full attention of retail investors as of yet, including the above news as well as increasingly valuable news out of China and a huge weigh-in by the FTC in Tesla's favor regarding the right to sell unhindered by anticompetitive tactics from the auto dealerships. On a company level, there is a lot of room for upside this week provided the macroeconomic situation stabilizes.

Good luck everyone.

As we power forward into earnings, there is quite a bit of positive TSLA news that I believe has not had the full attention of retail investors as of yet, including the above news as well as increasingly valuable news out of China and a huge weigh-in by the FTC in Tesla's favor regarding the right to sell unhindered by anticompetitive tactics from the auto dealerships. On a company level, there is a lot of room for upside this week provided the macroeconomic situation stabilizes.

Good luck everyone.

Here's hoping for a strong employment report. Not a clue what to expect from Janet.

I also think Tesla will crush vehicle deliveries in Q1. They guided for 6400 but reports out of Europe indicate 2900-3000: http://www.dailytech.com/As+Sales+L...harges+Ahead+in+Europe+China/article34773.htm;

My understanding is that European numbers are quite accurate due to mandatory reporting of those numbers to the government. Fellow Euro-Teslamaniacs, care to confirm/deny?

For the US, an LA Times article last week indicated 4700, though that number was not cited to a source. http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...s-slow-20140408,0,4757765.story#axzz30BxYZ7gd

Other hybrid vehicle websites indicate a lesser number of about 3800: http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ However, this site in particular however has a history of undercounting by about 20% (see 2012 (2650 v. 3100) and 2013 (17,650 v. 22,477) Tesla tallies). If this site did undercount again for this quarter, then the number is closer to the 4700 stated in the LA Times article.

So I think the minimum we can expect is 6700 deliveries and up to ~7700 deliveries.

(I tried to do some sleuthing this weekend because I wanted to get some data to decide about my May 9 Calls.)

Schwab is reporting a cryptic headline only that Model X is being delayed by a quarter. Source says StreetInsider.

------edit. May be delayed by a quarter

Here is the subject Street Insider article. There seems to be some kind of confusion, as they link delay of Model X with the delay in new factory (???).

Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) analyst Trip Chowdhry of Global Equity Research weighed in on the stock after attending the Connected and Charged, next generation transportation conference, where he spoke to about 40 people. According to Chowdhry, the converged view on TSLA is:

• Tesla Motors (TSLA) is a multi-year secular growth company
  • Tesla Model X may get delayed by a quarter – new factory may not be ready in time
  • Competition, including General Motors (GM), Ford (F), BMW, Mercedes etc., is completely clueless
  • Fuel Cell cars are a complete failure and a non-event
  • IBM and TSLA may have had discussions on battery technology and Giga Factory
  • Two probable locations for Giga Factory – Texas and Nevada
Elaborating further on the competition, being clueless, he highlighted:
- Just like in any other technology startup company, the success is defined by focusing on a few select things, and getting them right:

• TSLA has got its DriveTrain 100% right
  • TSLA has got its 17” Driving Console 100% right
  • TSLA has got its design 100% right
- Just like any other successful technology startup, creating ecosystems is critical to the company’s continued success

• Network of Super charging Stations – Free Charging of TSLA cars. Currently there are 100 Super Charging Stations
  • Software for 17” Screen – Software applications for Tesla Cars
- Vertical Integration is key to TSLA’s success: Manufacturing of cars, Drivetrains, Batteries (with Giga Factory), selling direct to the consumers
- The above discussed 3 bullet points are the differentiating features of Tesla and are critically important to acquire in order to successfully compete and win against TSLA, but unfortunately none of the competing companies including General Motors, Ford, BMW or Mercedes possess any of these characteristics

[*]IBM and TSLA may have had discussions on battery technology and Giga Factory

Interesting. I have no knowledge of any discussions about the GigaFactory, but I do know personally that Tesla uses a lot of IBM software for development and testing. IBM is making a big push into the systems market (cars, planes, stuff like that) so it wouldn't surprise me if IBM is talking to Tesla about any software or services that the GigaFactory might need.

I'd be very surprised to hear that IBM wants to be a partner, I don't really see what is in it for them.

Interesting. I have no knowledge of any discussions about the GigaFactory, but I do know personally that Tesla uses a lot of IBM software for development and testing. IBM is making a big push into the systems market (cars, planes, stuff like that) so it wouldn't surprise me if IBM is talking to Tesla about any software or services that the GigaFactory might need.

I'd be very surprised to hear that IBM wants to be a partner, I don't really see what is in it for them.

IBM is big on the new Li-Air cell - if they have that far enough along, would be a major win

Is technical analysis giving any hint on a support?
It looks like there is no bottom...

Around 185 according to my chart but it just seems that there isn't any bottom the way things are going.

I had had a trailing stop order I put in on Friday but decided to cancel it late last night after some thinking it over and wanting to stay on as a "strong long" but very much so regret the decision in hindsight. If we are lucky enough to get a pre-earnings run, I have the feeling we'll see a lot of resistance at 199 and this earnings will look a lot like NFLX after, just see how bad it's getting hammered today.

I don't understand how it could go from $267 to this, nothing has changed since the latest news that brought it to the top. Elon said it would take this year to figure out who was going to go in with the gigafactory, so there should be no surprise by analysts that there is no news.

Around 185 according to my chart but it just seems that there isn't any bottom the way things are going.

I had had a trailing stop order I put in on Friday but decided to cancel it late last night after some thinking it over and wanting to stay on as a "strong long" but very much so regret the decision in hindsight. If we are lucky enough to get a pre-earnings run, I have the feeling we'll see a lot of resistance at 199 and this earnings will look a lot like NFLX after, just see how bad it's getting hammered today.

NFLX getting hammered on fundamental news, amazon and microsoft wanna get in on their business model

Status
Not open for further replies.